You must watch this: <<<The paradox of choice>>>

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by foster911, May 17, 2017.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I guess I've always (sub?)consciously tried to limit my options w/ VSTi / libs / whatev. Saying "I just wanna use string / jazz quartet today", "I just wanna play piano", "I just wanna use one VSTi for everything", "I'm not using compression for this song" etcs. They're all ways to make u think about what ur doing w/focus, and can inspire. I guess infinite choice can kinda give u writer's block, if u let it. I think the whole "it'll do" thing is why I use stock EQ, and don't fret much about stuff. I mean, we're in a golden age of music tech; playing around is such joy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I don't get the argument.
    Just because there are consequences for our decisions, does NOT mean we should have less choices.
    I am trying but I cannot find the gentleman's point of the argument. is he saying we should live in fascism? is he saying we should have less choices?
    My personal take on the topic, is that one has responsibly regarding their knowledge and intelligence , if they fail in one of those areas they have negatives life (option paralysis )
    in conclusion, just because their are many choices, and that there are consequences for these choices means one must take proper responsibility with intelligence and knowledge in order to optimize their ability to make all these choices.

this guy is randomly complaining and whining about nothing, for no reason, when in fact he could have stayed home wrote out a schedule and planning for his life, which particular priorities are best for him. decide which is the best . walk into the store to buying your jeans with the exact ones picked before you left the house because you researched it and figured out what you actually need.
    I have never felt the sensation called "option paralysis". have you? why did you? i am interested in that.

when the guy in the video talks about going into the store to buy jeans, and he does not know what to get that is a problem with his particular preparation not the number of options, this is the common theme( a misunderstanding he has) with everything he tries to connect with choices, it is not the choices that are the problem it is the responsibility to know the details of reality to get what you need. to research and see the differences to pick out what is best out of those options for you. the whole aspect about sex and gender, I have no clue what connection he was trying to make there.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  5. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

foster911 you have picked a very cool and interesting topic fine sir, well done .

6. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I think the point is that having too many choices can be a bad thing. We want perfecion, and aren't satisfied w/ getting something good enough, which is exatly what ur pragmatic research would get. Well, that's the theory. If u choose, u will always be disappoint by the "grass is always greener" thing, as well as by the fact that u only have urself to blame if something is less than perfect. A better example would be (nowadays) buying a cell phone and the billions of pointless options, maybe. Which I suspect u will still be "researching" in 2020 when u need 2 buy ur next fone, @LouisCK ! (Kinda his point =)

7. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Us older people remember when there were far less choices. It was a simpler time, people were happier. I myself have not invested for retirement because there are so many choices and I fear making the wrong choice.

I am shopping for a new car, but fear making a bad choice. Even the choice of which car dealer to use, or to go private seller has taken' lots of time.

Even when wasting time I wonder if I could be watching a better TV show. There are so many live choices, my DVR is almost full, more On Demand shows than you could watch in a lifetime, then there is Youtube. I grew up with 3 TV stations and no internet. Happier then.

Music was a big deal then. When a new album was released by a band you like, you paid for it, and invited your friends for a listening party. Even recorded music was a social endeavor. Now I have to decide which music to download, can't download it all !!!

Recording Studios were the only place to record quality sounding music with experts. Now everyone records everywhere, everybody is a engineer, artist, and producer.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

And you have to be a psychologist to figure out this......? Yeah the synth from 70s/80s /w 32 sounds, of which 24 useless gave you more freed... amm.. creative boost than a modern virtual with 30k. I'm a pessimistic realist, I think the humanity is on the highway to hell (with 7500000000 population and growing + FINITE resources there is no theory, that would make things better...)

And at the end he is in contradiction with himself saying you shouldn't blame yourself for choosing the (supposedly) wrong jeans or sound or... But in contradiction he puts the BIGGEST blame on you for choosing to "live like that" - so now you can feel really bad. Like you have a choice. It's not you putting up the "framework", there are others who do this for you. In the past the framework was different, that's all.

And if nothing else works he can just go on taking hard drugs and marvel how his hunger for "choosing" will rapidly diminish and how focused he will become

9. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

yes i recognize that people have these problems, and experience those situations , what i am saying it is not a number of choices that is causing them to experience it. LouisCK makes fun of our goofy human experiences while pointing out they are not always what we think they are. having more options means you need to know what to choose that is going to meet your needs . for example say audio plugins for my portable home studio. some people may have option paralysis due to millions of audio plugins "what one do I choose?" That never happens to me. I have about 5 or 6 plugins per category and the unique "fingerprint" of a audio rack combined with what exactly it NEEDS done to it , dictates which one i will use and for what and why. I dont or never have owned a smartphone. To me there is no point in it. I just want a cheap crappy phone only I have a great camera ,I have a video game system I have a laptop and a desktop I have an standalone electric shaver, I don't need 25 crappy things in one crappy box. my point is you cant blame the number of choices or options, because there are so many is because the number and variety of them are due to different people situations and context, but YOU and I have our own specific context for which exact option is best to choose ( maybe narrow down between 5 or 6 to suite a specific purpose)

10. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

This is very interesting, I am just going to put how it is for me to experience these situations (different perspective)

"I am shopping for a new car, but fear making a bad choice. Even the choice of which car dealer to use, or to go private seller has taken' lots of time."

By the time I am physically going to the dealership I would have spent a few days going through all the information and picked out my choices or have it narrowed down o a few chices that i needed to compare how the few cars ride or drive differently etc.

"Even when wasting time I wonder if I could be watching a better TV show. There are so many live choices, my DVR is almost full, more On Demand shows than you could watch in a lifetime, then there is Youtube. I grew up with 3 TV stations and no internet. Happier then."

I use Internet movie database or www.IMDB.com you can see thousands of movie,film, tv show ratings I use this and other similar sites to pick out the top rated movies shows and films, ( sometimes might hear about something that isn't rated as high and end up watching through recommendation)
    this means by the time I am actually watching a movie, film, or tv show my full attention is focused on the cinematography,acting,directing etc. I am fully involved with the storytelling.

"Music was a big deal then. When a new album was released by a band you like, you paid for it, and invited your friends for a listening party. Even recorded music was a social endeavor. Now I have to decide which music to download, can't download it all !!!"

music gets recommended to me and I am always searching for specific qualities, by the time I have found a song that i clicked to listen to I am entirely focused on the aspects of the music

"Recording Studios were the only place to record quality sounding music with experts. Now everyone records everywhere, everybody is a engineer, artist, and producer.[/QUOTE]"

I will go through and listen to the quality of the music of an "artist, producer engineer" and see how it compares to "expensive studio options"

11. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

I can't make up my mind to reply..

or did I?

There has always been a miriad of choices radiating out from each second of every persons life.

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Think like an artist. Sound is color, so choose an appropriate palette that will help you achieve your musical vision.

I often prepare collections of sounds, and save them as a template for later use.

Take control your own environment and your destination.

13. Downlo

Downlo Producer

My friends and i have spoken about this subject many times.
    I kind of concluded for myself that i was indeed very happy when i had little or no choice when it came to making music.
    A double deck casette player a cheap microphone and a Casio S5 with sample function.
    We kept ourselves busy for days.
    But then came a time when we wanted to grow as musicians and buying more stuff, expensive gear was the/ a way to get there.
    The fact that there were so many choices, Mpc's, Roland or Ensoniq workstations, first home computers, guitars, drums and so on. Made us realize we had to make informed choices and then roll with it.

I do understand he dillema of having too many choices and how they could make us feel worse.
    But i think it has a lot to do with the fact that some people will never be satisfied no matter what choice they make.
    In short it's not the array of choices but rather that some people feel like they are missing out, always.
    No matter how much money they have or how big their house is.

Acceptance leads to happiness.

14. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

This is why I am looking for Propellerheads.Reason.v2.5.iSO-DELiRiUM, but can't find it anywhere :I Tried like everywhere besides Edonkey.. PC version anyone? Pretty please.

15. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

Problem solved :>