You Ain't No Producer!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DJ' started by LuckySevens, Jun 15, 2015.

1. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

http://walmerconvenience.com/2015/06/04/if-you-cant-produce-music-youre-not-a-music-producer/

'Nuff said!" :rofl:

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

that list is old. :bleh:

4. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

They are producers. I hate the term "producer" because it's so pretentious. Yes, Major DJ's or "producers" if you will, screw over real talent for their work and keep them in the dark. However, just because they didn't compose the piece doesn't mean they didn't produce the song.

I see this as an article celebrating under-appreciated beat makers. If those talented beat makers want to succeed in the music business, then they should learn it like their DAW or plugin of choice.

5. LuckySevens

The Emperor is decidedly naked. :drummer:

6. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

It's a shame that the democratizing/egalitarianizing forces of the Internet and computer technology that we've seen proliferate in the past couple of decades has not resulted in the nullification of the "star-system," which has instead been reconfigured as a whole new pyramid scheme whereby the merely-mediagenic take all the credit for the labor and innovation of outsourced talent.

7. This type of thing has been going on in Hollywood for forever when it comes to writing credits for television series. So much talent, so little credit.

8. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

meh same old same old. Sometimes I wonder why I'm still on music forums... or any forum in general. Prolly cuz I have no life...

9. remix

remix Platinum Record

Makes me wonder why people ghost produce?

Im sure money is the main motivation, i understand everyone has to eat, pay bills etc but how little faith must you have in your own character that you let others take credit for your hard work...

as for DJ's

How shallow must you be to put your name to a track you didnt make...

what a hollow world...

10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

again, co-producers are confused with ghost-producers.

@remix: knocking up beats and blowing off general rants why you are not responsible for the situation you're in isn't sufficient for every genre :bleh:

seriously though, electronic music is the ONLY genre where one person is supposed to do all the jobs, from mixing engineer to mastering engineer, from creative musician to producer. Those are quite different tasks and in every other genre you have people only doing one of those tasks.

ALL of the producers in the list are properly credited for their work and therefore none of the above qualifies as "ghost" producer.

11. LuckySevens

Amen to not having a life... Now... Go get one.

12. LuckySevens

In this respect, the term "ghost producer" is misused because what is meant is that the "ghost producers" on that list actually did the track assembly*, mixing, sound design and overall production, Then the "star" takes the full credit for the song as rightful owner. Yes, the "ghost" is compensated monetarily but at a mere fraction of what the track may ultimately earn the "STAR DJ/PRODUCER" and production house/label. I do this kind of work all the time and have done some HUGE money generating (as in $3 million dollars for one track for which I was paid a $2000 fee for) music. It's all covered by a "Work For Hire" release and I willingly sign them. Because... I'd rather get paid for doing music than dig ditches to feed my family. Yes... other people have gotten rich off some of my music but that's the nature of the business. It was my choice and I will live and die with my choices in life. I realize that people get up every morning and go to work to do a job they are not proud of. I can honestly say... I enjoy the fact that get to do music from my home studio as MY job.

*) Note: I refrain from using the word compose with EDM/DJ producers because a lot of them can't play an instrument and "assemble" tracks through use of one finger, (as opposed to composing melodies with accompanying harmonic structure with written out parts that can actually be read and performed by instrument playing professional musicians. THAT my friends, is a COMPOSER!).
    I can play guitar, bass, keyboards and drums. I can read and write music. I have produced major albums for major artists on major labels. I also compose for orchestra and films as well. I am a qualified musician/composer/producer. I'm certain that most of you have in your possession music that I have done for hire. I'm still struggling to secure my future... and it seems, that will never end.

Have a nice day...