Yet another interface thread

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by don_questo, Aug 30, 2013.

1. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Dear everyone,
    I have spent many months searching for info on forums etc about audio interfaces. Many questions and even more answers. But I guess there are so many forum threads out there because everybody has different expectations of what his interface should be able to do. My expectations are very simple, but i still couldnt find a thread listing what I want. So sorry for another interface question.
    Here is what I am looking for. It has to be under £200-£250. I need the best possible dac this money can buy. Also it has to have headphone amplifier as I am using 250 Om cans. Other than that I will be connecting monitors only. So I dont care about pres, how many inputs it has and all that. And oh yes, I m on PC so apogee is not an option, even though I probabily would spend extra money for it just to save myself from searching on forums. But I really do need some good dac for all of my softsynths and vst processing.
    Sorry again for being boring

3. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

Focusrite Forte. They also have cheaper interfaces that are good. I use the forte

4. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Thanks, but it is pretty expensive. I m wondering whether the mark up on the price doesnt actually come from the fact that they robbed the design of the apogee. Just a thought

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

no doubt for me
    http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php
    I have a long history with trouble interfaces, but RME i kick ass. Every interface use the same converion chip, the exception is Rme tha had his own.
    Keep rooling with just joy :rofl:

6. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Thanks. I asked for cheaper, not more expensive though. I only wish I could afford it

7. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

What you're asking for is a dream. Great conversion, with an included headphone amp to power 250 Ohms for under 300 Euros? I doubt you'll find that. A used Motu traveler or Focusrite's Scarlett may be the closest to your desires.. No headphone amp, though.

8. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

Motus MicroBook II.........or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

9. Teletoby

Teletoby Member

i am using Tascam DM-3200, it's all in one! Interface, mixing console, daw controller. It's affordable, and the sound is great.

10. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

Almost every interface at your price range is gonna be around the same quality as far as the DAC's are concerned. For what you're looking for you would have to spend a nice chunk of change. But trust me it will be worth it because you always get what you pay for with things like interfaces and DAC converters. Just stop searching for solutions on something so obvious and save up for a few more months to get something well worth your wait. Thats just my two cents, mate. :mates:

11. provugab

provugab Newbie

I'm going to jump in and clarify since I see lots of starters that have some concepts mixed up:
    Firstly,
    "But I really do need some good dac for all of my softsynths and vst processing."

DAC won't help AT ALL with your "softsynths and vst processing", DAC will only make a difference with outboard gear (hardware synths that use analog outs, outboard effects, etc), in your case better DAC will make a difference only with your speakers/monitors, and from what i'm reading I can bet you don't have a pair of monitors where DAC quality will make a difference.

Don't want to jump to conclusions, but just to let you know, higher impedance on headphones =/= better output quality in all cases, I'm not going to get into electrical engineering concepts here so you'll have to trust me on that one. Since you already bought your headphones, and since that's your only source of monitoring (I assume this since you haven't mentioned any pair of speakers) focus on the headphone amp here, so in this case it would be ideal just an interface with good drivers to move ASIO and a quality headphone amp, and that's it, but I really havent seen companies focusing on this market (guys with headphones who just need an amp and interface drivers), I would try to save up for a babyface (rme has awesome drivers), I really don't know whats on the market nowadays (lots of crap).

Just wanted to post to clear up the whole DAC for softsynths and VST's, remember those 2 things are not related so don't look for quality DAC (you only need a good headphone amp). So your priority is good drivers + best headphone amp possible.

Hope it helped.

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I can only say: TC Electronic Impact Twin, Focusrite Saffire, or some of the budget RME audio interfaces. I would recommend you to look for a Firewire interface. TC drivers have become much better lately, RME ones were always great, and Focusrite ones are on pair with TC's now. RME just has the best drivers and what's hardware without a good and stable driver? ;) I use RME and TC interfaces, and RME one works just so smoothly. TC one seems alright now, too, but it's certainly not as efficient and as stable as RME one. I actually wouldn't know about the Focsrite drivers except what I heard, and people say they're alright now, but I say they cannot compare to RME ones. RME also has very good DACs, as well as TC.

You choose. :) If you ask me, I think you would really enjoy having TC Imapct Twin or RME Babyface or Multiface if you can afford it.

One remark, though. I also use TC BMC-2 as DAC and it's incredible. It's got the same if not better quality DACs than my TC Konnekt 48. Something to consider since it's only like 200-300EU. You can always acquire a great RME digital card for your computer, like HDSP 9652 which I bought for 300EU second hand. HDSP 9632 can be found for around 200EU, and you could find it to be even better value since it's got all the analog connections on it, too [no preamp though]. It's a great combination. So I have BMC-2 as DAC connected to my monitors with a nice volume knob and VU meter, TC Konnekt 48 as preamp, and RME HDSP 9652 as digital I/O card and I get to use the reliable and efficient RME driver [with excellent TC DAC/ADCs ;)] with this combination.

Cheers!

13. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Why would it be a dream? I think its perfectly alright to assume that in the sea of interfaces there are the ones that DONT have dozens of I/O, dont have mic pres, but DO have great dac and can amplify headphones

14. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Can you confirm that Scarlett 2i2 can amplify my 250 Om headphones

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Have owned and used M-audio, Motu, Focusrite, Apogee and RME. My last two were RME interfaces and I'm going to upgrade to RME when the one I'm using is not up to par (which won't be happening too soon I believe).

16. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Thanks for trying to put me down :wink:
    DAC will do what it does freeing up my computer CPU for other things. And it will give me better audio representation of what Im actually doing with my synths. Because when I make a preset it sounds veeeery different on my computer and someone elses who has a good interface. Thats how I expect the interface to help me.
    Next 'higher impedance on headphones =/= better output quality in all cases'. I know that, thats why I got them. You see Im not a complete dummy.
    And you re right I still dont own a pair of monitors. Its something I need to look into even more in the near future. Your intuition served you right there

17. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

Your assumption is very true. But unfortunately you won't benefit from the DAC's provided in the interfaces at your price range, champ. Interfaces with actual decent DAC's begin at about triple of what your willing to dish out at the moment. I'm also beginning to think that you don't know exactly what DAC actually does. :bow:

Also, no one here is gonna put you down for asking questions. :mates:

18. olson

olson Member

save more money

19. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Don't know if I'll be flamed for this but my two suggestions:

E-Mu - 0404, has a dedicated headphone DAC+amp.
    Edirol - UA25ex

I don't think their drivers are Win8 compatible but WinXP & Win7 Ok.

EDIT: the UA25EX also has a headphone amp but it's volume is combined with the main volume knob!

20. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Without sounding like a condescending pig, you really need to learn the basic concept of DAC's and ADC's etc and how to read spec sheets they tend to give you some knowledgeable guidance, esp in the dynamic range.​

Once things are lined up correctly (your reference point) then " I make a preset it sounds veeeery different on my computer and someone elses who has a good interface" will be a thing of the past. ​

21. delgadilloalex

delgadilloalex Newbie

get a used interface, if money is an issue.
    i have a used motu 828 mk2 and 8pre

happy as can b