Yes, there is a magic plugin.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Von_Steyr, Oct 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

When people ask on forums, is there a magic plugin, they get laughed at.
    Of course not!
    But what if...what if there is a magic plugin.
    The closes to a magic plugin i have gotten would have to be the Acustica D361A.
    This thing gives such realism to your mix, depth, instrument separation, sweet harmonics and saturation its almost too easy.
    Talk about a special analog layer over your flat digital mix.
    Boy oh boy, this thing is powerful.This thing will bring out details in synths, drums, cymbals etc that is very hard or impossible to hear when bypassed.
    Reverb tails also sound so much better.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 11
    • Interesting x 3
    • Useful x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • List
  3. bostonrake

bostonrake Noisemaker

I'd like to hear an example. I couldn't find much online. You have any examples of a mix without and then with it?

Thanks!

4. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

I'd be interested to hear some a/b tests as well! As they say, hearing is believing! :yes:

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Their Trinity eQ was pretty solid too.

[​IMG]
    You could bypass the EQ and it still adds a little flavor.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Dislike x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Guys you can demo the plugin.Just toss it on one of your finished or almost finished songs.
    Put it on a mixbus or a drumbus and watch magic happen in your daw.
    Just play with the input/output and drive knobs.Its amazing.No amount of digital algo saturation/tape can give you such realism.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. bostonrake

bostonrake Noisemaker

I don't even see where you can get it anymore. Saw a picture on the Acoustica site, but it isn't in their store anymore.

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

It's still around. Check next door.

9. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Thanks VonSteyr, you are a true Audiofascist

Lots of Audiosex to you

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

What does this do exactly?
    I tried it on a track of mine and it adds something quite nice. Is it a very specific EQ + saturation?
    There was some dB boost, I'm not sure how to use this though

11. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Izotope Neutron plug-in looks pretty close to being Magic

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes it adds pleasant harmonics,highs and mids sounds more pleasant,not harsh,saturation,depth,instrument separation,warmth.
    AlexB designed it for Acustica.

Total harmonic distortion (THD) is based on the levels of the odd and even harmonics of an input signal, usually at a level much lower than the fundamental level. THD balance and decay are circuit dependent, and thus differ from device to device.
    CrossTalk and Noise are two elements which every designer tends to avoid to not affect the audio quality. Since in the analog world they can't be avoided, fortunately in digital domain with Volterra Technology we have reduced the noise at less of -120dBfs and completely avoided CrossTalk during the sampling.

The result is an optimum full quality sound from a like-new working condition hardware.
    We have recreated these non linearity characteristics into D361A by sampling a unit in excellent condition (refurbished and modified by AlexB - Alessandro Boschi). Your tracks will become more alive with the classic vibe of a real hardware and you may notice that your mixes may take on an almost magical quality with punch, glue, and dimension that you didn't hear with your other algorithmically based plugins.

Presets

Full
    The Full preset is the sound of the original unit. It is useful for the whole mix and single tracks when punch and clarity are required.

Mod.1
    The Mod. 1 preset is the sound of the first modification of the unit. It is useful for the whole mix, single tracks and mastering when body, dynamics and dimensional space are required.

Mod.2
    The Mod. 2 preset is the sound of the second modification of the unit. It is useful for single tracks like voice, synthesizer, percussions, drums etc. when clarity or effect are required.

Mod.3
    The Mod. 3 preset is the sound of the third modification of the unit. It is more enhanced than Mod.2 and it is useful for single tracks like voice, synthesizer, percussions, drums etc. when clarity or effect are required.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

It's out there, literally and figuratively :wink:
    (Hope this is ok, it's a link to a Google page not a direct link to anything. It's entirely up to the user which of the search hits to click or not.)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Dolby 361A ..... use it on a vocal :) or anything elsee>>> great old piece of gear a friend of mine owns a hardware version

15. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Starting out about seventeen years ago, I actually fell for the "magic plugin" ruse many times (and am embarrassed to admit I tried out that AAMS mastering app for Windoze a lot more recently than that). Thankfully, there isn't one ... I think it would kill a lot of the reasons why we record and mix music. It would be like having a magic painting plugin or a magic writing plugin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Platinum Record

Seems like a lot of people missed the Sie-Q vst emu E.Q. from Soundtoys. It's magic, believe me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

You want some magic? Try any of these:
    https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

Rescue is real magic, I don't even tweak a lot.
    Density for the real mojo, etc.

Oh no, they are free? They can't be any good if they are free, right? Well, a song I posted some months ago (btw, why does nobody comment on my current thread in "our music"?) was commented with something like "it has this sound I'm always after but can't quite reach". I master with VoS, and nothing else.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I can not believe how cheap they are on ebay.WTF?
    Its now on my must buy list.

19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thanks for reminding me.I used to use Density MkIII a lot,need to dl it now.

20. bostonrake

bostonrake Noisemaker

I'll have to check out VoS and this Acoustica D361A. Another one I have heard good things about is Waves Mixcentric. There are some Youtube videos out there about it.

• List
  21. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Hmm, time to reinstall it now! I will seriously demo it now because of your recommendation. Thanks for the reminder. :wink:

I am sold on almost all the Variety of Sound plugins. There is no track where I haven't used Ferric TDS, Boot EQ and Density. These plugins remind me of Slate digital quality don't know why. There is indeed magic in them. Because of them I have uninstalled and deleted many of my old ones.

:like:

Can't praise enough. Trinity is always a winner for me when I need to open dimensions in my mix.

One general suggestion for colleagues. Be careful of the gain and do gain staging for acustica plugins in general. I use Bluecat's free but awesome Gain plugin for this before and after the mix chain.

https:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016