Yamaha NS10's

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by P Bill, Oct 27, 2011.

1. P Bill

P Bill Newbie

Ok being a little lazy but does anyone know where I can get my hands on a new pair or drivers tweeters?

3. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

NS10 are discontinued.

Keep checking eBay. Its your best bet to find new tweeters or even another pair of monitors. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=yamaha+ns10

4. P Bill

P Bill Newbie

Thanks Paus

Been Looking on ebay but I'm a little worried about the hours or the state they will be in. But doesn't seem like I have much choice!!!

Damn that wood pulp!!!

YAMAHA NS10 PRESS RELEASE

Buena Park, CA, Feb. 21, 2001 -- Yamaha Corporation has announced that effective April 2001, production of the NS10M studio monitor speaker products will be discontinued, citing that the source of the wood pulp used in the woofer cone is no longer available. Despite an intensive worldwide search for a replacement material, none was found that provided an acceptable sonic substitute. Along with the NS10M studio model, production of the NS10MC and NS40M will also be discontinued.

5. keys

keys Newbie

i have a pair. the tweeter grill is bent on one, but other than that they are in great condition and work perfectly. i am going to be selling.. will post the ebay item number here if anyone is interested..

6. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

@ Cick Master Sync : I like your avatar :wink:

7. ok_producer

ok_producer Newbie

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ns_10m_615_635_hochtoener.htm

8. P Bill

P Bill Newbie

:wink: Remember the days!

9. Muze

Muze Newbie

Thomann has both bassdrivers as tweeters. Not sure if there is a filter in the original as I have never repaired them or owned them.

10. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I always wondered why they quit making them. They are very popular worldwide.

They don't have a flat response like most monitors, but rather a unique tonal characteristic many professionals prefer.

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yamaha "were unable to source the pulp for the bass/mid cone", hence why they got discontinued. Many people question this though. Maybe it's just one of the many business moves they've made through the years.

I think the NS10 sucks ass. I have worked with them and never befriended them. Other people swears by them, but not me. I wouldn't take them even if they were free.
    Yamaha was very smart when marketing these. You can read up on it all here:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

OP: I would upgrade to something that actually sounds good/flat (and "relearn" those speakers). There have been huge progression in the field of speaker design and engineering. But I know if you want to stay retro, and with the "I know them like that back of my hand" card.

12. P Bill

P Bill Newbie

I know what you mean about the sound of the humble NS10, I have a pair of Genelec 8050s witch I love to death, the detail is amazing, but a pair of NS10s for me is grounding and a reference point that you know is going to be similar all over the world. Well at least for a while anyway, It would be good if studios and production houses to agree on a new convention for monitoring, this includes amplifier also. I realize that room acoustics come in to play but there is not going to be much you can do about that.

csm

13. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Hey Guys I did not say that they sound good, or should be used as a main monitor source.

They are handy as a secondary monitor and will sometimes point out problems with a mix that are hard to hear on flat corrected far field studio monitors.

So many engineers needed that sound that was more like home lo-fi to judge their mix, that many studios started using them as secondary monitors.

They are portable, and I know one engineer who carries his own just to make sure he has his proper reference.

I use them in studios as secondaries, to know how clear my mix is, and to check how the bass and mid react on a small 2 way system, for loss of details, and other things.

I always prefer flat, point source, phase coherent monitoring, tuned to the acoustics of the room if used as a far field monitor.

The Yamaha NS-10s have none of these qualities, but if I hear something not quite right them, I will go back and correct my mix.

Note; You can tune your speakers with a graphic EQ and spectrum analyzer, to compensate for room acoustics.

Most Pro studios have a far field monitor tuned to flat frequency response at the engineers seat. This is what makes them all sound basically the same.