Yamaha HS7 owners hop in!

Discussion in 'Studio' started by azuli1, Sep 23, 2014.

1. azuli1

azuli1 Newbie

Hello everybody,i just got my Yamaha HS7 monitors and i have a room control question.

I have the monitors mounted to the wall with wall brackets and i want to know what is the best setting for the back panel's bass cut switch (room control)
    The distance from the wall is 10cm and i'm confused between the -2db and -4db settings.Which one is the right one for the 10cm distance?

I saw somewhere a diagram from yamaha explaining at what distance from the wall you should use each setting,but i can't find it anymore.

Hope somebody with the HS7's help!

3. DJIntel

DJIntel Newbie

i just upgraded my hs80m to the hs8, I will look through manual and see if i can find something

4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I don't know for certain, but to me,10cm will still affect the bass response negatively. You'll feel the bass smearing if the setting is not right. Try -4 and take a listen. If the bass sounds tighter and more focused even if you feel there's less boom, you must be getting there. If you don't lose focus at -2 (I doubt it), then keep it there. The point is not to lose the fundamental bass tone over the boom that might be misleading on how to sit the bass in the mix.

BTW, I own a set of two HS50s and an HS10 sub. Good luck and lots of fun with your new pups.

5. GuestStar

GuestStar Ultrasonic

Hello,

You can download it again using following link.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/speakers/hs_series/hs7/

6. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

The problem with HSM series (and a couple other monitors) is that they have the bass port on the back, and in 99% of home studio setups, monitors are placed too close to walls. For a design like this you need meters of distance from the wall instead of centimeters.
    The best solution is use them in conjunction with a subwoofer (therefore eliminating the need for the bass port), or using monitors with front facing bass ports like KRKs or Adams etc..

7. azuli1

azuli1 Newbie

thanks for the answers!The manual doesn't mention exact settings.

I experimented all day yesterday and my conclusion is that when i put the bass cut on -2 the frequencies that are around the kick freqs are exaggerated.I don't know if it is the way it should sound,but you really get club boominess which i think it is not helping when you are producing for a long period.The bass is not lost at -4,it still has good resolution.I think they should have added an extra position in the switch at -3db..!

So what do you think about putting some ''light'' foam in the bass ports at the back in conjunction with the -2 setting?Could that result in a -3db cut??

i can't move them any further from the wall because of room limitations and i also can't add a sub because of neighbors downstairs

8. 1999

1999 Newbie

"So what do you think about putting some ''light'' foam in the bass ports at the back in conjunction with the -2 setting?Could that result in a -3db cut??"

Thats what I did - put some foam in the back and left the bass switch at 0dB - and voila instant clearness and the boominess was gone ... so fundamental bass tone was there .. the sub region I check with my headphones .. not the best solution , but it definitely improved the frequency perception..

9. relexted

relexted Producer

You should not place your monitors against the wall. if you really have to due to a small room, make sure you leave a minimum space of 30cm/40cm from the wall. and simetrical between the left and right walls. Not in the corners. This way you will get less reflections from the walls, meaning a more accurate response in the sweetspot.
    the settings on the back are best to setup with playing a piece of music you like on a medium volume. the room you are in is the guideline..