Yamaha HS5 vs KRK Rokit5 G4

Discussion in 'Studio' started by nmkeraj, Sep 3, 2021.

1. telekom

telekom Member

I have a pair of HS5's, after using Rokit 5 g3's for a week and hating them. They're pretty good for midrange/budget-ish speakers. They seem very midrange-y and a little lacking in low end. Seems flat, which is decent for mixing. For the price I don't think you'll find better, unless you compare them to some JBL monitors around the same price range.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Pinhead12

Pinhead12 Ultrasonic

I would ditch the Yamaha HS5 and go straight to JBL 305P MK2. The "new" Yamahas series is overrated and hyped.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  3. herznote

herznote Ultrasonic

iam in love with my Yamaha hs8 :speaker:
    the frequency response is from 38hz->30000kHz (no sub needed)
    sound is very clear and true/fine.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  4. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Listening closely to the very interesting comparison videos from @9000k and @Pinhead12 (thanks!) I didn't found the HS5 that interesting. It's very centered on medium, the bandwidth is very narrow and the sound very boxy. Personally I couldn't use it without a sub, and even in this condition I'm not sure to find any interest in this type of sound.

Things begin to be interesting with the KRK, which appears to sound far more natural than the Yam, and the comparison with the JBL in the second video is killing the HS5 softly but surely.

I think it could be very interesting to hear the HS8 in the same conditions as these two videos, with concurrent monitors with the same woofer diameter. I suppose the HS8 could sound far better than the HS5 and remove the need to have a sub...?

2 other comparisons I found particularly interesting:

1°) Comparing a cheap Presonus with an expansive (and very pro) Genelec seems at first like a joke... But close your eyes, and listen... !?!?

2°) I wanted to share another one, but I finally found what I wanted: a fair comparison between the HS8 @herznote is happy about and an Adam T8V that seems very close in term of construction (with the exception of the ribbon tweeter for the Adam):

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

I'd say neither and go with the kali audio 8s

6. recycle

recycle Guest

Choosing between the two options I say +1 for Yamaha (KRK is garbage)

"Do I need a subwoofer?"

Considering that HS5 won't reproduce any sound under 50hz, my opinion is - yes you need it -

"Do I need an audio interface?"

Technically no: you can connect the minijack out from your computer directly to the speakers, but an interface is strongly advised

Obviously HS5 are entry level speakers, after a while using them you will feel the need for better performance (bigger / more accurate speakers), then you'll start to soundproof your room...it's a neverending story

7. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Found something interesting for you:

8. herznote

herznote Ultrasonic

Very close between these two.
    For me the Hs8 are better in the High End. Others would say to harsh.
    Iam very happy with the sound and it Looks like that the Yamaha are little bit cheaper than the Kali...

9. FREq

FREq Ultrasonic

My System :
    Audio-Interface : Steinberg UR22 MK2
    Studio Monitor: Adam T7V

Cheap & Sounds much much better as Yamaha / KRK
    For me Best Buy ;) I don't use Sub ....

Check this

and this

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    • List
  10. herznote

herznote Ultrasonic

also very close - and the hs8 a also a little higher on the highs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. recycle

recycle Guest

it always happens like this: a person asks a question everyone begins to confuse his ideas instead of clarifying them...

The OP asked which is better of the two types of monitors indicated: HS5 & Rokit5, now what's the fucking point of pulling out another 50 different items at a completely different price tag?
    Just to get an idea of the prices:
    (Source: Sweetwater)
    [​IMG]

The only monitors recommended in this thread, which fall within the OP budget are Presonus and JBL, but they sound noticeably worse than the Yamaha HS5 so I would avoid them:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

@recycle good point
    Although I have started thinking about HS7 after not too good reviews for HS5, especially lack of low end. As for HS8, they are too pricey for me.

13. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

yamaha has a hump [​IMG]

14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Yamaha - HS50 Pros & Cons

+ Good workmanship
    + Compact design
    + center focus can be compensated
    - little bass/low-mids
    - Bass cannot be boosted

The HS-50 are very neutral and reproduce what you play, but many people lack the bass, so Yamaha has responded and produced the HS-70.

HS7I Powered Studio Monitor - 275 €

2-way bass-reflex bi-amplified nearfield studio monitor with 6.5" cone woofer and 1" dome tweeter. Mounting points on 4 surfaces are available.
    • 2-way bass-reflex bi-amplified nearfield studio monitor with 6.5" cone woofer and 1" dome tweeter
    • 43Hz - 30kHz (-10dB), 55Hz - 24kHz (-3dB) frequency response
    • 60W LF plus 35W HF bi-amp system for high-performance 95W power amplification
    • ROOM CONTROL and HIGH TRIM response controls
    • XLR and TRS phone jack inputs accept balanced or unbalanced signals
    • Mounting points on 4 surfaces
    • Packaging single

The best selling of the HS-series
    With its 6.5" woofer, the Yamaha HS 7 is the mid-range version of the HS series. Between its two siblings, the HS 5 and HS 8, it occupies a special position as the best-selling speaker in the series. The frequency range is specified by the manufacturer as 43 Hz to 30 kHz, and this makes the HS 7 a very good choice for medium to large rooms, and of course the combination with the associated subwoofer (Yamaha HS8S) is also possible. For sound control, Room Control and High Trim offer two EQ bands for bass and treble, which can be used to make the usual corrections that are necessary, for example, when placed directly against a wall.

User Review:
    I have the speakers in my one-room apartment on my desk. The table is directly against the wall, both bass reflex tubes are about 10 cm away from the wall. The room is about 25 square meters, the reason why I did not choose HS8 at that time. The room is not acoustically treated, but have a lot standing around here, which swallows the bass relatively well. I write this for you, dear reader, that if you are forced to position the speakers really bad (like me), the HS7 compensate the problem very well and are very frugal.

These speakers do get enough air (which would not be the case with HS8, speaking from experience). I didn't even have to use the room correction controls to get a neutral sounding reproduction for me. If you have a larger room (>30 sqm) and can also allow the speakers more space towards the back, then take the HS8, otherwise HS7. From the sound they do not take much, the difference is only in the Wums. Otherwise, the HS7, like all other speakers (even those for 50000? the pair), suffer from the typical room modes, but there is nothing the manufacturer can do, it helps only room treatment and positioning. Just be aware of the dimension and positioning and decide accordingly based on the frequency response and size of the speaker.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  15. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Then I'd really take these into consideration (though I'm sure sure about the Behringer's sound) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/co...siUmVzb2x2U0U4IiwiSzhtb24iLCJSZXZlYWw4MDIiXX0

I've used 5'', 6,5'' and 8'' near fields and I can tell you 8'' does make a difference.

• List