Yamaha HS5 parasite noise

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by BAROZZI, Aug 10, 2024 at 11:48 AM.

1. BAROZZI

BAROZZI Newbie

Hi,

I own a pair of Yamaha HS5 and I have an issue with one of them, the speaker is constantly making a parasite sound, which has a high resonance spike at 3.35 kHz (I attach a recording of the sound).

The speaker is connected to an audio interface (Scarlett 2i2 3d gen), it has balanced cables. I've tried to change the cables, and invert them on both the speakers and the audio interface but the noise is still going out of the same speaker. I don't hear this noise on my headphones, and the noise stops when I unplug the audio cable. The other speaker also makes this exact parasite noise but it is quieter.

Also when I'm playing video games, another weird parasite noise adds up on the same speaker.

I would love to hear your recommendations, thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would first test both monitors. confirm only one of them makes noise. put that one that works off to the side, with it completely disconnected. It's easy to confuse yourself. Just like you will get a whole bunch of ground loop suspicions for something which is not a proven electrical problem yet.

Then try every combination you can with only the one "problem" monitor. Use both monitor cables to test the one monitor. Switch the cable at the audio interface outputs also. If you have other way to test the one monitor with other cables or sound sources, try those too.

Then you will know you have a bad monitor, or a different problem (electrical). You are getting ahead of yourself saying it is "parasitic".

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024 at 12:08 PM
  4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Sounds like a grounding issue. I'm quite sure it's not the monitors.
    Try to power your computer and the monitors from the same power distribution unit and also try disconnecting everything else from the computer that has its own ground.
    Got a laptop? Try that, running on batteries with only the audio interface and the monitors connected.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's easier to rule out the monitors than electrical issue. Way easier. Also: " I've tried to change the cables, and invert them on both the speakers and the audio interface but the noise is still going out of the same speaker. "

If it is electrical, it would switch from one monitor to the other. If it is a monitor, it will remain on the same monitor with the noise.

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

He already did that by unplugging the audio cable.

7. hankarlo

hankarlo Ultrasonic

Hi,
    I'd try what was already suggested by the other members, have a minimal setup if possible, so to rule out any kinks in the chain. If you still cant find the culprit. I'd also make sure the speaker/monitor audio cables are not touching or near an electrical cable and that the audio interface is not plugged into a power outlet, if possible just power it from USB. I'd look at the connection port/ USB cable between the audio interface and the computer, try a different port and cable etc. Good luck.

Peace!

8. BAROZZI

BAROZZI Newbie

Alright, following your instructions I have more information :

- By isolating both monitors, I can confirm that both monitors make this sound, one is just way louder

- I plugged my audio interface in my laptop, and indeed the noise stops. Also, when I plug the monitor AC on another socket (not on the same power breaker than my pc) the noise stops. I tried again switching cables, making sure that they don't touch any electrical stuff but it didn't help.

So I can conclude it's actually an electrical problem, and by doing some research I learnt about ground loop isolators and AC power isolator transformer, do you think one of them could solve my issue?

Thanks again !