XLR no signal at all M-Audio Fast Track Ultra no sound

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by djay, May 27, 2012.

1. djay

djay Noisemaker

Hi guys

I have Fast Track Ultra new one I tried to plug in the XLR but its not taking anything
    I tried the line in on the rear of it the same thing
    after that I turned the volume up to the end I heard a sound from far away which is the electric guitar through my pedal but it was distorted and very noisy and low as if there is something wrong I tried to mess with the white buttons nothing still the same

I have the latest driver
    Win 7 64bit
    other sound driver is disabled
    and phantom power is on

what else I should do please help me I started to cry this is my 8th hour on the same problem

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra.html

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Djay,

Firstly,
    It must be placed in OFF position if you plan to only play Electric Guitar. The Phantom Power of your M-Audio is just as its name indicate a power supply used mainly for supplying power to 'Condenser' Microphones that don't eventually have their own 'Power Supply Box', in any case use it with Electric Guitars ! or at your own risk...
    By cons, if you want to 'miking' your Acoustic Guitar with a 'Condenser' Microphone that don't have its own 'Power Supply Box', it's the process to do (-> Phantom Power ON) and you'll get the most of your Acoustic Guitar and 'Condenser' Microphone (after the crucial point will be the correct placement of the Microphone, but this is another story... ).

For your Electric Guitar, you should to use, if applicable, a special input that is specifically provided for that use. Nowadays, most of the Audio Card (either internal or external as yours) provide at least one of these inputs. The main reason of these 'special' Inputs is to match with the output impedance of an Electric Guitar (or Bass Guitar), that is different from a regular 'Line Out' as you can find on Hardware Synths, Dynamic Microphones,... ).

After having a look at the features of your Audio Interface via the provided link, I noticed that :
    "Unlike most USB interfaces, it features two dedicated inserts on the first two channels, giving you the ability to insert outboard processing before A/D conversion."

So, simply use one of these 2 'dedicated' inserts. In my opinion, your M-Audio must recognize that you have plugged an Electric Guitar and make the correct impedance settings and conversion by itself. This means that you can directly plug your Electric Guitar in these 'dedicated' inserts via a regular 'jack' cable, no need of a XLR Cable. In fact, it's always better to use regular 'jack' cables with instruments as Electric Guitars or Basses. Here also is matter of dB input, because XLR cables are mainly used for a + 4dB usage (the professional standard).
    As your quest, if I well understand it, is to also use an external Pedal, simply 'plug' your Electric Guitar to your External Pedal with a single 'jack' cable, then from your Pedal Out to one of these 2 'dedicated' inserts (of your M-Audio) use another 'jack' cable...
    As I don't know which External Pedal do you use, I can't guess if it possess only a single Mono Out, Stereo Outs,...
    Is it a 'single' Pedal like some BOSS models ? Is it a model like some ZOOM pedals that are not only 'single' Pedals but in many cases also include a 'little' Preamp ? :dunno:
    This last point can be important to know to eventually use your M-Audio 'Inserts' in a better and optimal way. *yes*

4. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

"I started to cry this is my 8th hour on the same problem" We all feel your pain.

5. copylefter

copylefter Producer

But, how did you plugged your guitar into an xlr? An adapter?? :wow:
    you just have to plug it with a common ts jack into channel 1 or 2 (those with Mic/Inst label on the front panel!)
    and it should work...Maybe the -20db pad is inserted? That should explain the very low signal...
    You have to push down the channel 1 and 2 pots...I don't have that card but seeing from the pictures,
    it features a switchable -20db attenuation pad by pulling the pots...
    Push them to be sure pad isn't switched on, then let us know! And switch off phantom power!!!
    I'm trying to help you as I can, but if some user here will reply you with an unkind "RTFM" I won't blame him/her...
    Sometime the solution is just in front of us, and a quick look at the manual will do the job...
    Maybe next time try it, it's not so difficult! *yes*