Xfer Serum Sub osc tuning?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by insaner, Nov 27, 2015.

1. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Hi,

How or can you adjust the sub osc pitch in Serum? because you can tune the osc A and B in cents.
    Now i have a sub osc that is out of tune.
    Could not find how to do it so i hope someone does know how.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

You can't.

4. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Hmm oke i know it is a sub osc like in the virus but it would be handy if i could tune it, think i have to improve my sounddesgin skills then.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  5. statik

statik Audiosexual

basically you just need to tune osc a and b to the sub osc, that would be the easiest way. would also prevent the sound from being out of tune with other synths

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

I would like to find a way how to tune the sound in cents. I work in Ableton Live and you can (not 100% sure) only change semitones not cents.
    I could record it and put it in a sampler but thats a no go for me.
    Maybe there is a plugin for it which can do it live on the bus...?

But is it gonna sound the same as oscillator tuning?

I think it is very weird why the sub osc is out of tune in serum, the virus has not this problem.
    Or i do something wrong in serum?

PS; i found a tuner plugin http://www.petersontuners.com/products/strobosoft/, i have to contact support because i am not sure if the plugin runs in a 64bit host. Althought, there are solution to use it in a 64 bit host (soundradix/jbridge)

Maybe it is better to ask, how do u make the sub osc in tune with osc A and/or B, when u have changed the osc tuning?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. floond

floond Platinum Record

You don't. You make the Osc A and/or B sound in tune (or for creative purposes out-of-tune) with the sub. The sub is always in tune. That tuning is defined in the Global tab. The default setting is concert pitch (A = 440Hz) but you can mess with that if you want to. I kinda doubt that is what you want though.
    If its widening you're after maybe add some voice layers / Unison to a single Osc instead and use the Detune knob, this will add voices on each side of (some harmonic) of the sub's frequency, but will still sound in tune if used in moderation. If you want to use both Osc A & B and the Fine tune settings, maybe try +3 cents on Osc A and -3 cents on Osc B or similar, so the sub frequency is still in the middle.

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Tune A and B. Then countertune master tuning, with A and B unchecked (global).

But why not make it easy for yourself and add an additional synth and make that one play the sub (and tune it any way you like)?

9. statik

statik Audiosexual

yeah you're tuning the osc's out of key, just put them back to default, makes life easier

10. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Thanks for the comments, i am gonna try to change the default tuning in the global tab.
    Still to me it's weird that there is no overall cent tuning like the virus has for all oscillators.
    I hope by changing default tuning i get the results i want to have.
    Otherwise i can use anothere instance and make the sub osc in A/B, but that would a little be akward because why there is a sub osc only for std tuning?

Ah well i need to try first before speaking. :)

Thanks.

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I mean... you said you work in ableton live right? Make an instrument rack, one chain having just the sub oscillator. Then there are probably a handful of ways you could detune it. One of the easiest that comes to mind would be a plugin like ToneBoosters Voicepitcher, Quik Quack Pitchwheel, etc.