XFER SERUM - Should I go there...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ted Smithton, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Yo Friends

Firstly is there a copy of this on the SS?

I'm trawling through hundreds of patches for it but can't find the software.

Which has me realising - a lot of folks have gone nuts for this Synth.

What's with all the Hype, is it freakin' awesome or just the new Sylenth?

Cheers

3. Doctor_Me

Doctor_Me Platinum Record

It used to be at sister site, maybe they took it down for legal issues, but if you cant find on AZ you can find it on google for sure... I'm using the R2R version, and it works nice for me, I recommend that one...
    For the usability, It's way superior if compared to Sylenth... Sylenth is pretty limited in my opinion, kinda an analog synth, but without the good flavor of analog synths, haha

4. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

The hype stems from the seemingly endless sounds that a wavetable synth offers.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Sweet thanks @Doctor_Me found a copy, do u know anything about the updates?
    Will it work with the latest update I found (1.1.1 b3) or do I need to install multiple updates?

6. elixter

elixter Kapellmeister

If you want the latest Update, and a legit Version check splice.com, 10 Bucks/Month and if it's paid completely, it's yours :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. DieM

DieM Rock Star

You can just install the latest update over the initial version.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  8. JoeR.

JoeR. Member

Serum is outstanding synth! You can do with Serum everything You want :P So Yes! You should buy it :)

9. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

It's a NI Massive clone with extended wavetable functionality, but it misses some of the Massive options (more filters, routing).
    OK synth, not the greatest thing out there unless you are after fart and growl dubstep noises.
    There are more musical synths , imo, but for some reason people make sample packs only for Serum, Sylenth and Spire.

10. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I've been very critical about it in the past.. but was proved wrong. It lacks some features and it can hardly be your all-round synth. But it earned a place in my sonic palette. I prefer 3-4 synths combo w/ different character (and tech behind) than those "all-in-one" ones that usually lack it. I say, buy it! (..or whatever) If memory serves the latest version being 1 2 1 b3 (full inst for both OSes)

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

hahaha

I still think it's one of the most full featured synths out there, and definitely one of the easiest to use, but it can be a bit restricting in how it basically nails you to one of like 2-3 routing configurations. I'm also a little bit skeptical of some of its FX modules. I don't really like the reverb and most of the distortion algos don't do much for me. It does have its own little waveshaper hidden in the distortion module though, which is pretty cool.

The nice thing about working with a Steve Duda product is there are all sorts of little "advanced" shortcuts and modifiers you can find that add ease and depth. The bad thing about working with a Steve Duda product is he never updates the manual, so you will have to find them.

12. Doctor_Me

Yeah, I wish Serum had 1 more filter before go to FX chain, it would be amazing!

What do you mean there? Do you have some examples or any video about that?
    I love Serum, want to learn more about it, haha

13. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

The one that comes to mind immediately is (IIRC) alt+shift click a modulation source to change it from unipolar to bipolar and back. This because I was frustrated with how unreliable it was to choose a modulation polarity for LFOs when drag and dropping and asked steve on the forums.

Also look for a YT vid by DJ Vespers about how to use the LFO as an arp. There's a few handy click modifiers for the LFO's and envelopes

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

My first serum experience

serum.jpg

Preset Angelic Performance :hahaha:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Doctor_Me

Cool, I didn't remember where did I find this trick, but before that I went to the modulation matrix tab, there you can select the direction of the LFO modulations. And yeah, the comma trick for the grid on LFO is way cool and open new possibilities for sound design, but I would prefer an actual dedicated arpegiator for serum.

Ps. DJ Vespers seens to have a nice content, didn't knew him, gonna look for new tricks, thanks bro! :)

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I have good news for you! Avenger is a thing :)

I think it's made its way to the sister site too. As much as I hate to recommend that anyone download the crack (because the devs keep adding awesome feature updates for free), if you can't pay $200 for a synth there is that option.

17. Doctor_Me

Yeah, I've tried that, but for me Serum is way more fast and intuitive, so I stayed with Serum... BTW Avenger is a really complete sound design tool, with tons of possibilities and a lot of samples to start with (samples that I wish I could export in WAV to load into Serum, haha), but the intuitiveness (If that's a word) of Avenger is a bit complicated fo my taste...

18. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Yeah why not. LFO in serum and modulation workflow is the best. Every synth should have this type of workflow. It saves time and help you with your creativity.

19. AmpMan

AmpMan Newbie

Serum is good ... It has a thick analog sound to it but, I personally like VPS Avenger better.

20. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Yeah thanks I've heard a lot of peeps saying that, and I must say I am one :yes:

21. segglyuk

segglyuk Kapellmeister

Move Xfer Serum Library
    Hi! Is it possible to copy the Serum library to another partition like C? Its size has increased, so I would miss the drive C. Thanks...