Xfer Cuthulu Alternative

Discussion in 'Software' started by Retrolize77, Jan 19, 2018.

1. The_Disturbed

The_Disturbed Ultrasonic

Please don't start that discussion in this topic man. Start a new thread somewhere.
    We are here to discuss alternatives, not the musical ethics of using these programs. I'm getting tired of people always having to barge in to ventilate their disagreements in topics unasked.

You disagree with these plugins? good for you, but there are people who do like these tools, which is why this thread was made.
    Nothing personal, just please, let us get on with this thread instead of polluting it with further discussion that is not about the subject.
    I wish people did that more, staying away from the topics they have nothing to add to.

On topic:
    Am I the only one who finds cthulu not so easy to use? I am looking for a Synleor type of plugin adapted to nowadays standard.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. alex921

alex921 Producer

I read a interview cant remember where, on of those big vst reviewers kinda sites and they basically asked every big player in the vst music theory business if the plugins they make can replace knowledge, voice leading etc, compositional skills just music theory bullshit etc. All the developers answered No. Kinda funny

I do like Nora now and then, but rarely ever finish stuf with it. Tracks that I do finish, are done with my midi keys.Scaler does look interesting though.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. foster911

foster911 Guest

I'm mortally afraid of black cats. Whatever you say.:lmao:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. The_Disturbed

The_Disturbed Ultrasonic

The captain bundle looks promising. 2018 release for windows.
    Sundog is also somewhat interesting to look at!

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I also find it hard. While I do find these tools useful it's equally hard to master them. Not so much as doing a 200 BPM arpeggio on a MIDI keyboard though...
    That's why I'm currently sticking with more basic ones like CodeFn42. I'd like to try Kirnu's Cream though (I think nobody mentioned it). As well as Obelisk. Or just your DAW stock one:

Oh wait, this isn't dance music.. but again, I don't like XVideos :disco: :metal::winker:

Even if the answer was yes nobody would recognize it. Asides very techie and modern artists/bands.

Well, the co-developers of Nora and another famous MIDI-tool plugin which name I don't remember are actual musicians. SquareHeads I think they're called.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. alex921

alex921 Producer

Ha, good point offcourse the audience wouldnt recognise. Though if you're working with these plugins and you know jack shit off compositional skills, you will eventually get stuck. That's just my experience, and choose to learn it instead

Funny that you mention, they appeared in the interview aswell. They responded with a "No" aswell. Can't remember where the interview was posted. I will link it here once i found it. BTW , the only developer who claimed his plugin can break the music theory stuff was that guy from AutoTonic.

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Good points. well, in fact a big point all together.
    Can plugins replace music theory? Not at all.
    Can they be useful? Yes. As long as you know the chords you're using, of course!

If you read users sharing experiences here and there, most people end up saying "I like this one but doesn't let me do XXX thing".
    Well, that's because no matter how features has, at the end you're the composer and there's zillions of different things you can do and a plugin not.

8. mono

mono Audiosexual

Going to try run scaler thru nora and then into a few vsti ,this should be fun :invision:
    update : we can now play chords that are arp or gated as well
    for any plugin with just the press of a finger :guru:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018