X-Fi audio drivers stop working after a few reboots

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zikkk, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Zikkk

Zikkk Platinum Record

It's been more than a year now that my main audio card (Creative X-Fi Elite Pro) has serious problems. I use it for everything except for music production, where I use my Komplete Audio 6.

The system is Win7 with the PAX tweaked drivers, which are better than the original by Creative. Well, the "speakers" icon in the windows sound control panel disappears randomly a few days after installation, leaving only the SPDIF option. As a result, I have no sound, and whenever I try to open Creative Launcher, the system complains that there is no hardware connected. In some cases the Launcher manages to load, but with several important tabs missing.

The only solution I've found so far is reinstalling the drivers, which solves the problem for a few days, until it strikes again! I've been doing this for months! The most annoying part is that every time after that I need to reinstall Razer Synapse, too, because of a conflict with some common files (NET framework, I think)!!!

This must be a common issue, as many other X-Fi owners report that. Noone has found a permanent solution yet. Many say it is SSD-related. I tried all the solutions found on the web, but the problem remains (disabling and re-enabling the card and unistalling / reinstalling from the device manager, enabling hibernation, putting the pagefile in a single drive, using the original drivers instead of PAX etc.)

I don't know if it is a hardware or a driver problem, but it seems to occcur only in Win7 (my Win 8.1 installation is working fine so far, which indicates that the hardware is OK).

Formatting is not an option, because it will take months to reinstall all the software and libraries. There are also no useful restore points to revert to.

I'm still searching for a permanent solution. Any ideas?