x-db // Baby Audio -- How to block internet (mac)

Discussion in 'Software' started by farcaster, Mar 22, 2024.

1. farcaster

farcaster Newbie

Hi ! Hoping someone can help me out..

I'm trying to test out the baby audio everything bundle. I recently downloaded this release:

Baby.Audio.Everything.Bundle.032024.MacOS-Xdb

The instructions are this:

≥ - uninstall previous versions
    ≥ - install with installer
    ≥ - allways block internet connection
    ≥ - enjoy!

I know I've done this before with some sort of terminal script, but I can't seem to find it..

Also, I have some legit plugins which require internet access to function, ex. UAD.

So I can't simply block my DAW from using internet, or turn off my wifi all together.

I'm on an M1 mac running monterey.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO I've been reading about firewalls, and the pros and cons. I'm hoping to not have to install extra software which constantly runs to accomplish this. Is there some sort of script I can run to block my comp from accessing the specific websites which which cause these plugins to die? and what those sites might be?

Thanks for helping a noob !!

:)

[edit]: I've been deep in the forums and can't find an answer, please forgive me if this has been covered in another thread.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Best Answer
    you do not need a script. open terminal and issue the command: sudo nano /etc/hosts. enter password.

that will open your hosts file. enter 0.0.0.0 whateverdomain.com into the list, and save the changes (control +W). or you can use LuLu free firewall (or Little Snitch) to create a firewall rule to block the plugin directly. https://objective-see.org/products/lulu.html

You can block your DAW also; with either LuLu firewall, or the Mac System Firewall because it is an application.

4. farcaster

farcaster Newbie

Amazing, thanks clone ! (also cute lizard!)

Any in your opinion, would it be enough to block baby audio's website?

5. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

I never understood why people still 24/24 connected to the internet while making music (with cracked software) or whatever else creative task...

6. farcaster

farcaster Newbie

I've always simply gone offline while working, but now, much to my frustration, I have to be online to use my legit UAD plugins. very annoying.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Normally it is, but it prevents you from going to the site if you want. And also, I have seen plugin developers use strange, sneaky, non-audio domains that their plugins can phone home to. I saw one developer directing traffic to a house painting company's domain name. I mostly firewall in the plugin, my DAW, and my entire plugins folder with LuLu. It is faster and easier than a new hosts file entry, to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. farcaster

farcaster Newbie

Well, I risked it and blocked access to all BA domains in my host list. Worked perfectly. Thanks very much for your help clone !!

9. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

One day plugin devs will get wise to the fact that if they embed IP addresses in their plugin, hosts file blocking will not stop their phone-home call. Or they can use the trick adobe does, which is to utilise apple's bonjour daemon - that can't easily be blocked by firewall without impacting system services on the mac - to check license validity via DNS

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List