WTF Spitfire? - Breaking compatibility with old LABS plugin.

Discussion in 'Software' started by MBC_Music, Jul 31, 2024.

1. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Without getting into the politics of it, I think removing Christian outright was an overreaction for what he did.

Spitfire sacrificed a pretty important, competent person to appease some angry people on the internet. Seems they've lost their way quite a bit since he left.

The same people who lashed out at Spitfire over what Christian said have moved on to other rage bait and probably forgotten about the situation entirely. Gotta stay angry at something new to feel like you're accomplishing something, and feel satisfied by having the "morally correct" ideology.

Funny thing is, I don't like Christian. Always found him kind of annoying haha. Probably should have kept his politics and agendas out of his professional life.

Spitfire has some good stuff and some bad stuff. All hilariously overpriced except for the Originals line. Well sampled libraries with clunky interfaces and key switching (at least with the Kontakt libraries I've used).

- Alex Epton entropy has just a few patches I find useful, most are useless
    - Cinematic pads is quite good
    - Drumline is a one trick pony, too limited and specific
    - Epic Brass + Woodwinds lacks dynamics and sounds cheesy
    - Intimate strings is great
    - Media Toolkit is great

All just my opinion of course

2. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is true, but there is also the issue of the Spitfire app that auto-updates. So a way to avoid this would be to uninstall the Spitfire app. Block their websites using your hosts file and firewall. Then reinstall the older version you had auto-update on you. With no internet access at their plugin, they are not going to force-feed you anything; because as far as their software knows, you are offline.

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Don't the libraries on the old LABS plugin require periodic re-authentication? I assumed that was the reason for LABS complaining like clockwork after some amount of time that my libraries needed 'repairing' (I'm still using the same SSD I had the libraries installed to, it's still not corrupting data).

4. bluebone

bluebone Member

Well, i'm glad that i ignored this dev (while thinking i may miss something).

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Then you could keep the old plugin version installed without it updating; but not be able to use libraries either. :no:
    You would be stuck updating MacOS in that case. This depends upon if, and how; they lock you out of your own locally located libraries.
    I don't really see a point in not updating to the newest MacOS I could install; if you are not on Mojave or prior to begin with.

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Just downloaded Crow Hill free Vaults (2Gb) and tested a few minuts.
    Said in few words: Im not impressed!
    Has anyone tested the Cosmos from Crow Hill? Ask because if it is as bad as the Vaults I´ll keep from spending 10£ on yet another bad experience!

7. BasedPirate

BasedPirate Kapellmeister

check out some of the demos of their newer LABs packs. sounds good.

8. macaca

macaca Noisemaker

I just googled what happened (since I was completely unaware) and yes, that is messed up they got rid of him. Too bad. Wish his new company all the best.

9. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

few years ago i loved them, but i saw this coming and try to never use they apps ever... shame... very good sounds and way to organize the things...

10. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

their freebie is not that great. Their paid products are.

String Murmurations and small string gestures - both really good libraries. Unique. Pretty limited in tweakability, but they sound really good. Lots of interesting movement, some great string textures, more traditional passages, granular stuff, FX. Just awesome libraries.

Cosmos has good sounds, but its very limited. Its a sort of one trick pony, nothing to write home about but works well in some context.

Their latest, concussion drums is excellent. Huge, nasty drum library. Fitting for trailer stuff, industrial, even rock and dubstep or any heavy genre. My only negative with it, is that there is no sequencer.

Dot allison, and vertical piano both seem great, but i did not have a need for them.

11. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

The new LABS is also a MESS. The plugin is routinely crashing my DAW's, takes forever to login and load, searching the library is counter intuitive and slow. Just a terrible amateur release.

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

You might want to just take notice when a developer who has been using Kontakt for releases for years; all of a sudden decide to invest the money into creating their own plugin-based version. The intent is never for their customer to end up with a better product out of the deal, and in almost all cases; they do not. I'm not a huge Konakt fan, but most replacement sampler plugins are not any better; with only a few exceptions are they even equal. " We developed our own plugin" shouldn't be met with much more than "So how are you screwing people this way?". My samples can now dictate what MacOS version I am using? :rofl:

13. Katze

Katze Ultrasonic

But Orchestral Tools is doing the same with their own player. It's all because Kontakt has a high demand so a high likelihood to get cracked, so you can use any library. Have you seen cracked Libraries for Orchestral Tools or Spitfires Player?

14. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

Yep, unfortunate but true. If if a dev releases a lib for kontakt they've basically just given it to anyone with a cracked Kontakt.

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

It was no different in 2013, which are the earliest Spitfire releases I got back as a search result. They have releases which require Kontakt 7 that were released just a few weeks ago, which are still Kontakt format. It's still a move only based around money. What they will probably find out though, is that people who weren't going to pay hundreds of dollars for a Kontakt library, are not going to be any more likely to buy one for another platform. They will just have less people using their sounds. I'm not using them either way, for free or not.