WTF: Sound Destruction @96 khz...but why?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by superliquidsunshine, May 27, 2016.

1. Hello all and thanks for helping me to find a logical reason why this as happening. I am no rocket scientist and cannot figure out this maybe odd phenomenon.

Everything is wonderful. The sound that I am monitoring through the RME Babyface I am presently using is great and I am enjoying experimenting with various placement and microphone choices with different instruments laying around and am contemplating creating samples for late night headphone use to keep the family and neighbors happy in their sleeping, dreaming revere. So, to maintain a high integrety end result in sample quality decide to up the system from the 88.1 kHz that I have been even working with to 96 khz. BANG...the sound that that I am hearing coming through my headphones is horrible and not at all like it was just a few seconds earlier. Switching back down to 88.1 restored system integrity. I am using FL Studio 12.
    What is the phenomenon that is causing this. Thanks.

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Depending on the project settings, a resampling is performed to correspond to target sample rate set on your audio device, which will always result in some sort of distortion.
    It's best to work in fixed sample rate and then to resample only the final result when needed.

I'm assuming your project runs on 44.1kHz, therefore realtime sinc SRC to 88.2kHz will produce less artefacts than 96kHz due to multiplication factor, rounding and aliasing errors.

Still I think it's better to work on target sample rate from beginning to end (44.1kHz or 48kHz)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Thanks Andrew. I had started a fresh project and nothing was yet sampled, but what I heard coming through my nice Gefell microphones was fairly horrible with what seemed reduced bandwith. Starting yet another fresh instance of FL Studio in 88.1 brought back the magic. This is my quandary.