Writing a Logic AU to import FLAC

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by NeXT, Jul 13, 2023.

1. NeXT

NeXT Ultrasonic

Hello Wonderful People,

Since I can't find a way to import a FLAC file into an Audio track in Logic without first converting it to a supported format I was pondering on writing an AU to permit such an action.

Maybe it already exists?
    Do you think is a viable/good idea or I'm missing an obvious wayto work with FLAC files in Logic?
    Any suggestion on writing such an Audio Unit will be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  3. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

Almost sure the latest versions of Logic support FLAC files already, if not just Create a Software Instrument Track then go to
    AU Generators>Apple>AUAudioFilePlayer>Stereo then add the FLAC file(s).

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. NeXT

NeXT Ultrasonic

@6ixcore - Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately up to Logic 10.7.9, latest version as we write, FLAC files are not supported.

AUAudioFilePlayer only works in Rosetta, in Native mode it loads but it's unresponsive.
    It also doesn't allow me to work with the audio as one would: as far as I understand it allows some sort of triggered-playback (and I can't imagine a use case, my bad).
    It could be useful as a starting point, maybe.

What I would like is to drag and drop a FLAC file into the plugin or track and have it converted automagically to a supported format.

• List
  5. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

So it seems, cant find any info online about importing FLAC files directly to Logic, thought I've read it in one of the LX update logs. You can always convert the tracks with iZotope RX or any audio editor to wav, or use Serato Sample or Waves CR8 (these are the ones I use to import FLACs cause I'm still using LX 10.6.3). Good luck finding the best way that fits your workflow!

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

What version of Logic are you using, and what version of MacOS? I am on machine with HS 10.4 currently, and one of the first search results I have read is this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253897850?&previousThread=250433859021.
    my laptop has newer software versions, but its also still an intel mbp.

I checked and 10.4 wants nothing to do with importing this .flac file I downloaded from Internet Archive. But I looked into convertor applications, instead of firing up wavelab or whatever. I installed Bigasoft Flac Convertor release from TNT, and it converted a 7 minute long song in 3 seconds.

The only problem is I am now listening to a Rob Gee Rotterdam Terror Corps Remix in it's full wav glory. :suicide:

7. NeXT

NeXT Ultrasonic

Hi clone, thanks for chiming in.

I'm using the latest version as we speak: 10.7.9 and I have had no problem importing all kind of audio (aiff, wav, mp3)=fingercrossed

I know I can convert "outside-the-box" (I use XLD); I just wanna get an inside-job :hillbilly:

Regarding Rob Gee Rotterdam Terror Corps Remix: I hope you are listening at the very least to a 24/96 wav for full enjoyment of the Great Dynamics :speaker:

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

the nice thing about using a little convertor program if you have to go outside Logic, is that it doesn't want to scan all your plugins, or even import the file to it . Conversion of flac is very fast, and something like it or dbPoweramp for wav to mp3 is so fast these days. I try to do 100% in Logic if I can too, even using the stock samplers before I will use another plugin. :)

9. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

Same situation is with ogg vorbis as it is not supported by Apple. This is a pity, because ogg vorbis is a very high quality format and it is sample accurate, which makes it ideal for carrying big sample libraries on a laptop. MP3 or AAC are not sample accurate which makes them useless for samples.

I use ADSR Sample Manager in Logic. You can browse all your samples in many formats, with project tempo and even the right key. Then you can directly drag any sample onto the timeline and it is converted to wav or aif in real time, works really great.

• List
  10. NeXT

NeXT Ultrasonic

@Myfanwy Great suggestion and great point regarding sample accuracy and OGG!

I've installed ADSR Sample Manager and will explore it, thanks for the suggestion.
    From a first impression it seems an overkill for my use case but it does read FLAC, now gotta figure out a workflow (like how do I select a song and drag it to an audio track).

My main use at the moment is/would be to drag a song from my FLAC collection to copy/steal/study the arrangement and sample snippets on the fly.

Thanks for your input.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

Does this program still install a lot of bloatware/bundled type stuff? I tried it out a long time ago, and it installed "helper applications". Maybe it was just the release I installed though.