WOW!! Reaper huh??!! Can it do....

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by GreatJobChamp, Apr 14, 2017.

1. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

So wow!!.. Reaper is pretty amazing... especially with the customizability.

One thing I would love is immediate access to altering the pitch of audio clips.

No algorithmic time-stretch type trash... just the standard pitching like on a sampler.

Would it be possible to add a knob to audio clips?.. a pitch-knob?

I noticed in some Reaper videos, the dude has a volume knob on his audio clips... just thinkin a pitch-knob may be doable.

Thanks everyone :bow: :bow: :bow:

P.S. not asking for instruction as to how... just IF it is possible.

3. rootwits

rootwits Producer

You can create a custom action and assign keyboard shortcuts to pitch up or down items a semitone. :)

http://blog.subsquare.com/quick-pitch-trick-in-reaper/

For the volume knob at the top of item go to:
    Options > Preferences > Appearance > Media > Item volume control (change it to knob)

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

But first, you need to select all your clips, press F2, UNCHECK "preserve pitch when changing rate" to get varispeed, then you can change the rate box.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

Press Alt while hovering above take.

6. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

Im confused by varispeed.. and what you guys (and the article) is saying about rates.

All I want to do is raise or lower the tune of a sound...in cents... semi-tones... whatever may be needed to tune drums sounds,etc.

I think sounds are more or less ruined by algorithms that want to preserve the length of a sound or speed or whatever the hell.

On an mpc, in ableton Live's sampler/simpler, or an EMU, or Battery... If I change the tune of a sample, the sound will either be shorter or longer... a sound tuned up (raised in pitch) will be shorter, a sound that is lowered, will be longer in duration than original... THAT is the kind of simple pitch manipulation I want.

7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

check this.. if it applies to your case...

Select the media item, hit F2, there you can adjust pitch.
    There are also some keyboard shortcuts, just search the Action dialog for "pitch".

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=75405

8. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

All answers so far didn't really understand what you are after. The kind of pitch change you want is the result of a file played at a higher or lower rate than it was originally recorded in. In Reaper, you do this by changing the file's playing rate relative to its original rate.

Hit F2 (or right-click over the item and select "item properties") and uncheck "preserve pitch". Then change the rate to your liking. You can do it while the DAW is playing, just make sure to click on "apply" then to hear the change.

pitching.PNG

EDIT: Just saw that @junh1024 already gave the correct answer!

9. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

The right answers have already been posted just wanted to second the answer, check the action list! Action list is awesome! Like Herr Derr said, search "pitch" in the actions menu, shift+9 = pitch up, shift+0 = pitch down. Those are the defaults, if you wan't to preserve time-stretch or not, read through there, there's actions for that too! Bind the ones you want to a shortcut key, make a toolbar button, or learn it to a midi controller!

10. Elisea

Elisea Guest

If you need an equivalent behavier like in Live's Simpler, than load your drumsound in the ReaSamplOmatic5000 instrument. You can find it in your Cockos FX List. Its similar to simpler. But looks also a bit simple. ;) (I know, thats not really funny.)

If you have opened your SamplOmatic in the FX section of your track, load the desired drumsound (click on browse) and change the mode from "Sample" to "Note". Now you can play it like an instrument on your midi keyboard and record it on your track. To create velocity volume effects, just lower the "Min Vol." knob as desired. To create a drum machine, just load many instances of SamplOmatic with your different sounds and adjust the Note Start and Note End values to fit the range of the sound.

By the way: Am i the only one who just imagines Christopher Walken if i hear the Kenny Gioa videos?

So. Okay. Hope that helps you. But maybe i got you just wrong.

Greetings from Cologne

11. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

WOW... thanks guys... yeah, so last night I had made some actions.

In the action dialog, for search term/filter, I typed "pitch". There was a few that listed changing the rate by ~.6 (pitch down 10 cents), and then the same thing for pitch up 10-cents... and then up/down semi-tone.

I shortcutted them to my arrow keys.... to make sure it was the "right kind" of tuning functions, I just changed the pitch of some audio clips on the arrange window, and watched the click become shorter or longer... which is what I want.

I just need to figure out a way to pitch in cents, that is the same kind of "do not preserve length" type thing.

But wow I can't believe how much better Reaper is compared to ALL the others. You canNOT beat being able to customize the piss out of it... not to mention the 60$ price!!?? incredible.

PLUS the PT themes are amazing

Thanks guys!!

P>S I fricking hate Kenny Gioia's voice... the way he says, "... right here"... drives me nuts. And there is just something about it, I don't know why. Something about his inflections.

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

hooray for Brooklyn...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

@Elisea

yeah wow... love that device... it's a perfect replacement for sampler.

I think I am going to sell Ableton now... in fact I know I am

14. chumbo

chumbo Ultrasonic

I know what you mean, but I got used to it over time. It's worth just ploughing through it as there is a lot of valuable information. What I can't stand is the very odd speed with which he will rush a few words beyond comprehension and then pause?! Why doesn't he even out the pace so it's more understandable!! Anyway, a bit off topic there ;)