Would you check this, for the love of tonal balance!

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by TheMoss, Jul 8, 2022.

1. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

That's enough mixes with overloaded high frequencies i guess! As a 'silent workhorse', I was wandering around the mysterious super uber tonal balance village for a while, and seeking for right balance of course.
    I had to change my ugly eq and perception of balance finally (i hope).

As always! here comes a big hairy 'but'; Did i achieve to come closer through right tonal -or overall- balance for an ideal mix? I really had some tough times to develope a 'behind the scene ear' rather than 'loud high frequency addict generic consumer's ear'.

I am leaving my final mix below here special thanks to producelikepro.com for providing this multitrack!

https://vocaroo.com/16MAKTqYvP6X

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Seems to me that you can trust in your new ear. Your mix is very good. I would change only the reverb of the voice, I hear it kind of squeezed in a room that doesn´t fit. It´s a very good male voice that deserves more presence. Also the balance between drums and bass may change a little: bit more of bass and bit less of drums. And maybe the sax track needs a pinch of volume. Good song by the way. Keep on.

4. thebeatsareill

thebeatsareill Kapellmeister

I agree with what rudolph said exactly. The bass needs to be more present as compared to the drums. The vocals also seem over processed and I think I hear phasing from either the vocal or the organ. Great job!

5. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

Thank you for your kind comments! Kinda agree about bass and drum thing. There were 5 kicks and 7 snares and i always want to hear them more and more. Another bad addiction to want hear sharpy drums.

Track had 3 pairs of H3000 dual harmonizer in the vocal comp, so i decided the keep wide phasy lead vocal idea widened all the other elements rather to make narrow lead vocals. And then Put a meta flanger through the mixbus %3 or %5 wet for left-right panning excitement and keeping the vibe, maybe it was wrong i don't know.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

it sounds really good, and most suggestion I'd think of are very minor tweaks for improvement; not to "fix" anything. For instance, I think you may have gone a little too far wide left with your closed hi hat. You could probably do a little more gain riding on the sax to highlight certain sections of that part (around 2:30 or so) . It sounds like you have a B3/Leslie combo emulation at the end, but I didn't notice that much of it throughout the track. I mention it, because I often forget that Logic's B3 has somewhere in it, a self-oscillating filter; and if you forget to trim all the silent parts it will generally just add noise you don't want.

I wouldn't even mention any of it, if you weren't asking.

7. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

way better in the high frequencies, congrats.

As for finding the "right tonal balance", i don't think there's such a thing, at least not one that fits all genres at all times. You could come up with an educated guess by analyzing similar songs though, you may find some tendencies.

8. relexted

relexted Producer

9. HikaruSniper

HikaruSniper Ultrasonic

IMHO vocal seems muffled.

10. Mud Jones

Mud Jones Platinum Record

I think it could use some Gulffoss. The vocal sounds I dont know, like maybe the lower mids or something isn't sitting right, imo.
    Put gullfoss on 30% tame on the vocal track and another instance on the master set to 25% Tame.

Disclaimer - my opinion may be considered worthless. I thought this thread was about iZotope. :)

11. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

exactly 3 channels of leslie b3 combo and checked it you are right! strip silence is incoming.

i did not agree with that there is any tonal balance thing, with some standard deviation there is some frequency balance between low to high, because we cant hear them same at the same level. Like i said some kinda deviation is here, there is not absolute values.

yea i know it's not that bright but i think sometimes it does not has to be so bright to throw everything else righht trought to darkness...

12. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I really loved the song, it's the style of music that I like to listen to.
    I feel that your song has a lot of potential, I mean everything you are doing there, guitar, bass, rhodes, and the voice (Didn't you think to put some choruses on it?)
    But your song (from my point of view) is playing at 50% of what it could play.
    The balance of eq, sounds great. But I feel that if you want to get 100% out of what you're doing, you should work more on the balance of the mix of instruments. I agree that the voice is like covered, drowned, and you are hiding something that sounds very good. just like the sax.
    It's my humble opinion, I hope it helps you.

13. juggz143

juggz143 Kapellmeister

I was gonna say muddy but yeah other than that, good job!

14. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

maybe i can think add some aphex vintage or pultec for high frequency excitement tho

15. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

well i could not opened pro tools for mixing project but i added some treatment as whole;

soothe - band pass around 300hz,
    ozone 9 vintage compressor with high pass around 100 hz,
    some saturation
    a bit stereo widener and limiter around 1 db gain reduction.

now it's kinda too bright, damn!

https://vocaroo.com/1lcnqbIypUWF

16. HikaruSniper

HikaruSniper Ultrasonic

Voice still sounds muffled. But the important thing is that you are ok with the result, because maybe you like it that way.

17. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I don't understand why you ask for an opinion if when they give it to you, you say they are wrong. So I don't see the logic in asking for an opinion.

18. Ryck

Ryck Guest

That has too much brightness, you can note in the "S" of the voice.

You have to work each instrument separately, not give everything the same brightness, because then you will highlight frequencies that other instruments do not need. I agree with HikaruSniper. If you like it, it's valid, it's your song.

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is Sibilance. The best way to get rid of it is by using a De-Esser like Fabfilter Pro-DS. A De-Esser deployed on each channel with offensive high frequency sounds takes care of this.

When it is a "P" (or B,T, D) sound, it is referred to as a Plosive. (or consonant plosive).

20. Ryck

Ryck Guest

No, the best way is not to overdo the equalization too much. For if you put a boost on the treble, and then put a desser on it, you get an unrealistic, plastic sound. The best way is to use eculation as needed. If the voice needs eq, eq is put where it is needed, if the bass needs eq, the bass is put eq where it is needed. Maybe the bass needs a boost at 80hz. So, if you turn up the brightness on everything, you are only denaturing what he has done, and if later to correct that, he puts more plugins on it, it will sound even less real. And it totally loses the essence of what you wanted.

21. clone

clone Audiosexual

You wouldn't be boosting treble into your de-esser, because that boost is ideally done before your compressor instance on that channel.