Would it be worth it to upgrade my processor?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by not sure, Sep 3, 2016.

1. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

I currently run a i5-2500k

would upgrading be worth the money? like would it really be that big of an upgrade to replace it with a more modern cpu? paying 300$+ for a super small percentage increase in performance doesnt seem like it would be worth it. Thing is, I dont really now how much more powerful the moderns cpus have become, if they even have. This i5 is still decent for DAW work, my DAW chokes up very seldom.
    anyway, what cpu would y'all recommend?

3. Danko

Danko Noisemaker

If i would upgrade my CPU, right now i would buy an i7 6700k. Best price/performance ratio imo. You should wait for the new AMD cpu though (late 2016/early 2017), most likely will bring Intel prices down.
    That being said, there are several components i would upgrade before that. A SSD is a must nowadays (if you don't have one already). I remember when i bought my first 2 years ago, the increase in performance was huge compared to everything else. Also depending on how much RAM you have, buying more can boost the performance better than a new CPU. Then there's a better soundcard, better monitors, etc etc.
    Keep in mind if you decide to buy a new CPU, you will need a new motherboard also. That's another 200-300$.

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I5 has only 4 threads,when you switch to an I7 you get for example 4 cores/8 threads,which can really be a big difference,pc chokes less under heavy load.

5. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i73.jpg

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I had a 2500K and upgraded about 6-8 months back. I got a Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition as a replacement, which was quite cheap. If in UK, check out CeX. They have some good stuff for reasonable prices and everything is preowned, but thoroughly tested and comes with a 24 month warranty meaning they will refund or replace if it busts within 2 years.

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

YOu answered your own question. And you also say you have like, no performance problems.

Seems worth it, except notice that the sockets are all diffrent. Better pay $$$ to replace the mobo too (and maybe the RAM?)

8. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

well, my ram was compatible and i paid 50$ for a cheap ass mobo for my i7-4790k

9. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Lga 2011 v3 is a format that will have more cpus with more cpus.
    Almost any 6 core is better than a 4...
    Other great option is to use servers with VEP pro... And you can use much more plugins than a common daw.

10. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Only upgrade if you really feel the need for it and choose the fastest quadcore I7 CPU, something around 4 Ghz,

meanwhile you can buy one or more SSD.

11. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Before you decide, you really have to find out first what you actually need:
    A) More CPU cores
    B) Higher CPU clock speed
    C) Both.

More CPU cores does not always help. Especially for audio, playing a CPU-eating synth with high polyphony and high quality setting calls for higher clock speed, not +cores.
    On the other hand, large multitrack arrangements with multiple plugins per-track (and not on the master channel) will benefit from +cores.

I had to learn this myself when I opted for an 8-core machine with 2.5GHz when I really had better chosen a 4GHz 4-core CPU for audio work, but that's my profile.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Although it certainly would be an improvement (especially if you opt out for the intel-e system), nothing would give you that amount of headroom in terms of resources as a master+slave (or slaves) comb. I would say, selling 2500k would be a shame cause it's one great cpu, but keeping it as a slave and adding new master system... that what I did (except with 2600k) and would do it again :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

thanks for the tips guys.

14. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

I think I may sift around for an i7 soon. Mr. fiction, I'd say both... are you familiar with a cpu that meets that?
    what do you all think of the P8P67 Deluxe mobo? Also still fairly relevant or is it time for an upgrade?
    I may have to look into this VEP/slave+master thingy y'all mentioned, I could almost build a new computer with the amount of spares I have already, heh.

15. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

god damn.. i7 4960X Extreme Edition is over 1,000$ lol good on you but I ain't making the bucks like that at the moment

16. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

No, sorry, you'll have to do your own research. But there's plenty of info online, and only you know what price/performance tag is your best match.
    One tipp: Make sure you read audio-related performance reviews and infos because not all CPU multimedia extensions and performance benchmarks really matter in audio production.
    Some links for a good start on the subject:
    http://www.scanproaudio.info/2016/06/28/intel-broadwell-e-the-new-audio-system-cpu-of-choice/
    http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cpu-performance-tested
    http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/steinberg_support_daw.html

Have fun researching!

17. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

Love ya mate