Would be a Waves downgrade harmful ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaxSxB, Oct 20, 2021.

1. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

Hi,

I'm starting a migration from a 32 bits setup to a 64 bits one (about time in 2021 huh). But I want to keep my 32 bits setup on another drive with a dual boot to still have access to my former projects (happens frequently).

I just have a problem : I lost the installation files for my current Waves v9. I have v9.6 and 9.7 WaveShell, exact version 9.6.54.27 and 9.7.99.49, from 26/12/2016 if I believe what the DLL details say. The most recent v9 I found on sister site is from 03/2016.

In case I had to reinstall my 32 bits setup one day, would it be a problem if I used the 03/2016 version on projects made with 12/2016 one ?
    Or is there a way to simply save the current files if I copy everything correctly ? (program files, common files, appdata\local and roaming, registry entries,...)

Thanks in advance
    Max

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

There won't be any problems.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

either way, you will be able to find the right version by when you need it. it's only when you unexpectedly have to format that you get screwed. :bow:

5. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

@BEAT16 I hope so much that you're right ! Thx for your reassurance

@clone I found it on another blog, but I can't trust anything else than sister site... I didn't like what I found on Virus Total in the process detail, too much system32 action

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Waves plugins are very backwards and forwards compatible. Especially same version. I wouldn't bet on using V11 and V12 plugins and then trying to load the project made with v9 plugins, but everything made with whatever v9 plugins will load, I'm sure of that. I just wonder why downgrade? Why just not using the last v9 plugins? Usually the last versions of anything is the best version to use. :wink:

edit: sorry, I misunderstood. You just don't want to fiddle with the either system. Don't worry, it will work. Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  7. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

@SineWave The major problem is that I can't find the latest v9 on sister site, the most recent is the 03/2016 one. I like how your first sentence ! Like I said, I don't plan to reinstall my system at all, since this SSD will boot maybe once a month, the windows won't really age. But a disk failure is inevitable, short or long term ;)

Thanks everyone for your answers, to be me it's a closed case :)