World's Largest Natural Sound Library Now Free To Use

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by cripple9, Oct 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

I wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this, so if it would be better somewhere else, or if it's already been posted, please excuse my ignorance.

http://videoandfilmmaker.com/wp/index.php/news/worlds-largest-natural-sound-library-now-free-to-use/

The Macaulay Library, with over 150,000 recordings of 9,000 species is now digitised and has been uploaded to a searchable database that’s free to use.

The library, housed at Cornell University’s Lab of Ornithology, has made available over ten terabytes of recordings, with a runtime of 7513 hours of natural sounds.

The collection, which began in 1929 has taken researchers dozens of years to accumulate. It currently holds recordings to a massive three-quarters of the world’s entire bird species, but it’s not all chirps and squawks, there’s also a decent helping of whale songs, insects, bears, elephants, primates and just about every other critter or creepy crawley that roams the earth.

The collection’s curator Greg Budney describes the archives as revolutionary, in terms of the speed and the breadth of material that is now accessible online.

“This is one of the greatest research and conservation resources at the Cornell Lab,” said Budney. “And through its digitization we’ve swung the doors open on it in a way that wasn’t possible 10 or 20 years ago.”

“Our audio collection is the largest and the oldest in the world,” explained Macaulay Library director Mike Webster. “Now, it’s also the most accessible. We’re working to improve search functions and create tools people can use to collect recordings and upload them directly to the archive. Our goal is to make the Macaulay Library as useful as possible for the broadest audience possible.”

Now the team has digitised its massive archive, it’s focusing on collecting new material from amateur and professional recordists from around the world.

The sounds are not only used by sound designers and filmmakers, but also by researchers, museums, or anyone interested in the sounds of nature.

“Plus, it’s just plain fun to listen to these sounds,” explained Bundy. “Have you heard the sound of a walrus underwater? It’s an amazing sound.”

You can access the library now at macaulaylibrary.org.

• Like Like x 11
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

4. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

That's terrible lol. I had to look up "Felis Catus" & it showed up as Domestic Cat. Apparently you should try searching the scientific name eg. "Equus asinus" shows up under Ass, lol. Hopefully they get the search function straightened out soon.

5. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I think you need to be a wizard to get anything for free from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

In keeping with the title of this thread, I'll add this library which has already been available for free, for years. It's not exclusive by one creator but is a depository made by contributors all around the world:
    Freesound - freesound.org

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Atick

Atick Member

9. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

Dang, you're right. Sorry guys, the article is rather misleading. This is from the Macaulay Library FAQ's:

"Can I download recordings from your site?
    Unfortunately, recordings are not downloadable from the site at this time. However, you are more than welcome to request a copy and license the recordings based on your needs by completing an online order form."

10. floond

floond Platinum Record

11. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Thanks for bringing this resource.

12. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I had new tires put on my car..last weekend.. before I left the parking lot, two of my hub caps fell off...

Also, not impressed....:hillbilly:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

You're right. Someone with working legs should have kicked some tires... :drummer:

It's still a huge 10TB library that can be embedded/linked to for free. Even if it's a little awkward, I'd say it's at least a little impressive.