Workstation / Synth Positioning

Discussion in 'Studio' started by KidForToday, Jan 23, 2024.

1. KidForToday

KidForToday Noisemaker

I’m looking for feedback regarding setting up my workstation. The plan is to have my Novation 49 SL MkIII front and center on a 30 inch high desk, with a MacBook Pro M2 that is running Ableton on the left of the MkIII (I’m left handed.). The MacBook will be connected to a large monitor on a stand with monitors on either side at head level. The desk is 43 inches wide by 31 inches deep, which is just big enough for everything I just mentioned along with a Roland MC 707 Groovebox, interface (TBD), and a few effects pedals. The dilemma is where to position my Juno 106 and OB-6, which will have to be placed to the right on another desk at a right angle to the desk. I want to be able to play them simultaneously and I’m wondering if having one above the other by using a rack is the best way to go or just swapping one of them out with the MkIII is better. For long periods of time, is it easier playing two synths at once when they are at a right angle to each other or if they are stacked vertically? I’m not a fan of playing while standing, so I would be seated most of the time and I’m curious about the best “ergo-correct method” that people like to avoid strain. What types of stands / desks are you using ?

Thanks for the feedback!