Working with Professional (Musically)

Discussion in 'Studio' started by globalpeace, Apr 29, 2015.

1. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

I've always wondered how Greg Kurstin, Max Martin, Calvin Harris, Sia, Ellie Goulding work in their studios. Is there any possible way that i can

work in a studio? To learn how the industry works? To learn something Musically? (Not about mixing & mastering).

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

So many questions.

Start/join a band. Make/write music, solo or as a group. Write melodies, lyrics, chords and eventually arrange everything into songs. Learn/play an instrument. Have/ask/hire vocalists and musicians to play on your songs. Book studio time. Record. Mix. Master.

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Unfortunately, that is hardly possible since the artists like to make music alone. At least most of them do. It's best to start your own band with people whom you think have similar taste in music to yours, to be able to exchange ideas and learn how to make songs together. In other words - what Baxter said.

That's how I started. And later on, when you feel like you've grown enough to make music of your own, you can try going solo or keep doing it with the band. Brainstorming ideas with the people of similar taste and intelligence can be of great help, though. On the other hand, doing it alone can be liberating in some ways.

Cheers!

5. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

Or I Could go to a Music School and find people with similar interest? Heard a lot about Swedish Public Music School, Have you been there Baxter?

6. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

All the people that you mentioned seem to have different qualities. Some are producer some singers etc. I dont see how "The Studio" made any one of them talented, Or gave them any knowledge in the industry. Also what do you mean learn something muscially? Like learn to produce? alot of really talented people make songs on their lap tops, n then sends them to an engineer to make it sound polished and professional. But the original idea and what make the song what it is, comes from the producer. N the only way you will ever achieve that is by......Producing....tirelessly. No shortcuts unfortunately for all of us. N as far as the music industry maybe a recording school or something like that talk to managers or other producers etc. PPl that are out there doing things. What i have found out so far in the music industry n that everyone is looking out for themselves so good luck finding somebody that will actually care to explain stuff to you. N lastly Remember that luck is when preparation meets opportunity. You can meet an awsome person with a record label or something that would be willing to take in show you the ropes tell you everything about everything n then you show them ur music catalog n it sounds like shit because you havent put in the work. Yup back to work m8.

7. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

How to learn something musically? Maybe it's to obvious but there is no way to learn more about music than learning an instrument.
    Take lessons, and if you're already adept search a teacher who can teach you in the art of improvisation. Hands down, there is no way to learn more musically than learning improvisation from a good teacher.
    Music is like a language, you have grammar, syntax, spelling... If you know these rules you're able of understanding and communicating everything you feel and think of. And there is no way that's more effective to learn that language than improvisation - it forces you to understand and internalize the theory behind of what you play because it just won't work if you don't.

An accomplished musician is not neccessarily a good teacher. If you have no solid musical knowledge you might not get what the people you mentioned are doing and if it is bogus or not ;)

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yep, I went there. I studied drums/percussion, vocals and ensemble there before I went to study music at university. I think Swedish public music school fostered musicians/artists/producers like Dennis Pop, Max Martin, Shellback, RedOne, Carl Falk, Rami Yacoub and all the swedish bands/artists out there. A great way to get into music at an early age (from age 7), basically.

9. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

You are never to old to learn anything, but it gets harder as you get older. If you want to learn to play music, select an instrument and start any way you can. Take lessons, study formally, or just put headphones on and play along over and over.There are lessons on YouTube for just about anything. Watch and listen to others. Practice for hours almost every day. The harder you practice and the more knowledge you absorb, the faster you learn. And if you decide on more formal training, you still need the same work ethic. I always like to site Grandma Moses for inspiration---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Moses