Working with Kontakt archives (nkx, nkr)

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Andrew, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Hi Intro,
    I am sorry if this question ever came up, but I couldn't find the right thread.
    How does one create or extract Kontakt resource file (nkr) or archive (nkx) ? I remember you mentioning it's not just possible but also easy.
    Just now I need to slightly modify one wallpaper that's packed inside nkr and wondering how to open the file.

Opening nkx requires (if I'm not mistaken) "HU" and "JDX" keys, that comes in _info.nkx or nicnt file. Extracting resource file should be somehow possible directly through Kontakt interface. Packing and extracting nkr would prove extremely useful, because all libs that require putting images someplace else (either Documents or Common Files folder) could then be modified to conveniently include them in nkr.
    So could you enlighten me how to do magic with NI archives?

Thank you in advance
    :mates:

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Andrew,

A simple suggestion, even if I'm conscious that's not exactly what you're looking for and that, of course, you'll prefer to directly extract all the 'Resources' contained within a '.nkr' file.

This suggestion is why don't load the desired Library which you want to extract the 'Resources', then simply replace within it all your desired items to be changed or added, as for example : the Wallpaper,...
    Then when done, simply save that newly created '.nkr' file. This way, you have your desired '.nkr' file containing the desired modifications, and at the same time, you can keep the 'original' one in case that you want to revert to that one...

4. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

this maybe of some help

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/5197-nks-how-to-extract/

5. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Hey, Andrew

I will update you soon, I promised i would tell before, but was just working out the kinks and haven't spent much time on it since work-life became priority.

But here is a clue:

Translator Pro?????

6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Best Answer
    This procedure requires extracting the archive first. In Kontakt you can only create new nkr, not add or replace files in it.

I've read that thread from top to bottom, and while it does cover the topic, no viable solution is concluded.
    In addition, custom wallpaper through Instrument options cannot be loaded, as the patch automatically loads the original from script.

Here's how I solved it:

For extracting nkr archive, I used Hyperripper from Dragon UNpacker (SW for extracting data files from PC games). Hyperripper looks for file header patterns and since nkr is very simple in its structure, I was able to extract some files from it.
    Wallpaper got photoshoped and then loaded through Instrument Options. But it didn't save. So I thought of using similar nkr with identical content, only with different filename for wallpaper. And BWW EXP A NKR seemed to be the best candidate.
    Saved, and everything's fine.

UNnks cannot extract nkr, but at least can show you its content. *yes*

7. THEGOVKNOWS

THEGOVKNOWS Newbie

So is there a way to do this in 2018?

8. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I don't know about 2018, but I just heard of Hyperripper for the first time today from this thread and was able to use it to extract GUI images from the .nkr of an instrument to modify them. :wink:

I also had decent luck with the Kontakt KSP Wizard GPT. Nothing complicated, just replacing crap stock effects with better ones, remapping/adding controls etc. but I've never modified instrument scripts before...