Working together on the same track Online

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Someone, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Hi all,
    Via another forum I'm active in I found somebody who wants to make a track with me, now we are facing the challenge of doing that with different gear... We decided to send us the stuff we make as WAVs, and everybody adds something. So one of us make a beat and a bass, the other one ads a melody and percussions. Of course this will be very difficult, we would have stems, but how to arrange them? Mixing will be quiet difficult, you can only mix when you have all the stuff, if you don't know what will come, you can't mix it...
    Do you guys have experience with that topic? What do you think? any ideas that could help us?

3. doxent

doxent Newbie

Mixing is just a trial and error job. This is no big problem if the bpm is constant and you have the overall overview of what you're doing. The problem starts with bpm fluctuations of live recordings like guitar tracks, vocals etc. You can either make tempo maps or bend the samples to fit overall bpm with Studio One which is quite handy with it's transient detection tool. Couldn't find any better stuff that does the job so easily. Reaper gave me a big headache in that matter though I prefer it to work with mixes.

4. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

What's the problem? If you're using wave files, use Reaper, save the project as "in own directory" and "save all media in there" in a dropbox. Then everyone has access to the project and can add/mix/do something in the project. You just have to clarify which plugins should be used and which maybe not. But even when you don't have a plugin, you're able to open, edit and save the project.

This kinda workflow is also working with Cubase, Logic, Live,...

5. davea

davea Platinum Record

Weird question … I don't get your point sorry . Normally before mixing , you have to have all the stems, to get the full vision of the track. Even if its a stereo bounce from your friend's work and vise versa.

6. davea

davea Platinum Record

When you share a project like this, better is to rendered each track with plugins. Like this if your friend doesn't have one he can at least work with the corresponding audio file , which was processed and so rendered.

7. sofakingkiller

sofakingkiller Newbie

bitwig is going to have a feature for this too actually, Multi-user music production over the internet. It won't be added at the very start but im sure there working on it.

8. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Thats exactly what we do... Just got the feeling it could be better...

I always mix everything I make directly after I created it. So I add a pad for example, then I mix it so that it fit in perfectly with what I already have. I just thought this will get more complex when you share a project.

Yeah I know but they havent released it yet :sad:
    Really looking forward to use Bitiwg :wink:

9. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

"I always mix everything I make directly after I created it. So I add a pad for example, then I mix it so that it fit in perfectly with what I already have. I just thought this will get more complex when you share a project."

And when working with others, flexibility is key, you don't always get it your own way.

I really don't see what the issue is, say you receive the track with 6 tracks and you add that pad as the 7th, do your thing as per normal and mix it to fit perfectly.
    What happens when you pass that on and more stuff is added does not come into it, unless it is being passed back to you with more added with you to add even more.
    Of course this is going to require one or both of you to mix some or all of the previous tracks again, you really can't have a "rule" that says once a track is mixed the other guy cannot touch it if stuff is yet to be added...

Yes it becomes more complex, but it is only problematic if you think the other person is not up to the task of mixing properly.
    Collaboration is as much about filling in each others weaknesses as using each others strengths.
    If you aren't willing for it to get "more complex" then i am not sure why you would share a project...

As for ideas.... maybe since you are using reaper and saving everything as wavs, you could just have 2 copies of each track, 1 for each guy, that way you can each arrange without being "destructive" in your arrangement, and decide together which parts are the best for the final arrangement?

10. xsze

xsze Guest

If you use the same DAW that can make your life easier, but I guess this is not the case.

Best thing is to clearly state what one and another should do, it become complex when you have track filled with automations and you can't possibly predict one sources automation throughout the track, so you can't bounce it either, that's just one problem on the way, more to come.

One should carry away all hard work, mixing,arranging and editing, so other guy is just there to send some ideas and creative thoughts, I send my partner midi files and synth patches for that sake, or bounce some static sounds if it's the case, but one work on track, another is just there to fill out.

If you look closely when you work alone you have hard time bouncing things because you want to automate some parameters from synth or change something on the way, so throwing rendered wav files is not the best thing to do either.