Workaholism and Symptoms of Psychiatric Disorders

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by foster911, Jun 14, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

Working hard is praised and honored in modern society, and thus serves as a legitimate behavior for individuals to combat or alleviate negative feelings and to feel better about themselves and raise their self-esteem.
    Workaholism was associated with specific characteristics. In general, younger, being single, highly educated people with higher socioeconomic status tended to report higher levels of workaholism than their comparison groups.
    Workaholism was also more prevalent among managers, self-employed, and people working in private sector, compared to non-managers, and public sector.
    The current findings indicating that people in a relationship are slightly less likely to experience workaholism than those who are single.
    The present authors also propose that such people are unable to relax, and may keep on working nonstop–if they find a task interesting and demanding enough (e.g., hyper-focus). Furthermore, it is hypothesized that these workaholic ADHD types push themselves in their job in order to disprove conceptions of them by others as being lazy or unintelligent. History portrays many highly successful entertainers, inventors and entrepreneurs, authors and scientists as well as business leaders with ADHD traits–often associated with hard working talent and abundant creativity.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0152978

Could this happen in the art? Please don't mention me.:bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016
  3. Erik_Menton

Erik_Menton Producer

Probably yes, art can be a job so it's possible imho. Still i think that today we are too fast to talk about psychiatric disorders, i'm no expert obviously but i think that when the majority of population has some kind of disorder we should find a less broad definition of disorder.

4. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

We're all "crazy" at some point, artists more than other maybe because of their exasperated sensibility?... Dunno... but it will be terribly boring to live surrounded only by "normal" people.
    As for workaholism, I don't agree with this study: I know as much poor workers, married and non educated who're alcoholic than single, highly educated self-employed.
    One thing remains in all social classes: when the girl walks away, the bottle comes close...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Artists are people too, therefore....

• List
  6. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

It's been observed that some "mental disorders" are either culturallly-induced or products of the conditions of the era (and thereby symptoms of the insanity thereof) or are behaviors or ways of thinking are culturally-interpreted as such (and not considered "disorders" outside those cultures). For example, homosexuality was once considered a mental illness in America; now it's considered trendy-cool. Psychopathy is generally considered terrible, but it's normal in Texas for people to be psychopaths, being a hallmark of the Texan cultural character.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

When i organized some very large scale parties, i realized you can not trust a man who dates a woman as much as you can trust a man who is single to do what is needed for the parties.

( probably would apply to gay people as well )

The women in your lives will make you feel like you are responsible for all their mood swings ( not their fault, but they are conditioned by the moon to do that once every month ), and they will pursue that until they see you crack / until you do not care at all

And since most people are somewhat kind, most men give in to that.

Men in relationship get a new agenda: whatever is brought up all of a sudden by their women > making it harder to concentrate on other long term goals ( unless they either realize what is going on, or simply do not care about what the woman is saying, which makes it very hard for 90% of men to achieve things when in relationships compared to being single minded and focused on your own goals )

Also there is the emotion ( or/and thoughts ) of Responsibility, that kicks in once you have sex with a female. You may feel obligated to start to prepare for a lifetime of family life, ( subconsciously ) it is so unclear in our society what Sex means { in terms of is it a statement towards anything or not} ( does it have to change anything, and if it does, what... these are the things people in relationships will be halfconsciously dealing with ).

So yes, there is a correlation between productivity and being single - but not just for the reasons stated in the article.

I d say it is more about spending your time with someone that has other interests than you used to have, affecting you, unless you realize what is happening

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. The Revenant

I wouldn't go so far as to pretend such a thing...

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's a big con, working hard is praised and honored in modern society because it makes the rich richer if their employee's overwork themselves, and also governments collect more tax. Have you noticed how rich people are always taking holidays or playing on their luxury yachts :bleh:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. That was my straight line waiting for the...kielbasa.

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Zealious aka .. p - whipped?

I'd like to feed the b*tches I work with some of that kielbasa.. but wait..
    they're American.. already fat and overstuffed... in their 20's

maybe I could persuade them to take up celery... nah.. lost cause

typical american woman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Yep it happens in art. I'm all like that. 14, sometimes 18 hours a day. But I take the downtime in between projects very seriously and spend it with my beautiful wife. She's also a bit of a workaholic so we understand what it means to be dedicated to what we love so much.
    Okay, now back to work. Coffee!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I just wanted to quote you so people have a chance to read it one more time. :winker:

Regarding workoholism I can work for 12 hours on some track, but I can be a lazyarse for days, too. So everything is in balance. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Did you know that in the days of feudalism the serfs worked 12 weeks a year?

15. The Revenant

That's true, but some rich people aren't ungrateful and share the fruits of success with their employees: my former boss still invite me at least 2 times per month for diner at the restaurant of his club (were I was resident DJ) and one week each year on his yacht.
    And he's definitely not gay :no:.

Yes, and that's because their remaining weeks were spent to die on battlefields...:(