Work stolen

Discussion in 'Music' started by themask1005, Jan 10, 2015.

1. themask1005

themask1005 Newbie

Hey guys
    So Im going to ask a very important question...
    Been working on a new project and I needed a singer for one of my tracks. Found one through internet and everything was looking fine, the guy have a great voice and was writing me till the moment I send me a version of the track for him to write the lyric, etc.
    Now is as if he disappear. Doesn't answer my messages anymore and doesn't give me any sign.
    What can I do? Was having the feeling he just wanted to still my track bc even I send him a soundcloud link he keep asking to send him the track...
    What are my options here? He live in London and me in Paris.

3. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Keep the email you sent the file in. Do not delete it, it's your proof. And although I'm not sure about law, your soundcloud track is another proof because of the time you uploaded the file at.

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I know it's a mood killer but always set up a contract for stuff like this. There doesn't need to be a payment involved but you have to have something that gives certainty to both parties.
    If your partner in spe doesn't want to sign a piece of paper that clarifies who has what part in the creation of your work, you don't want to work with that person anyways, trust me :dancing:
    I never send anybody master tracks or stems of my work without signed paperwork. And nobody who's serious, professional and legit about his or hers work has a problem with that.

5. axelfender

axelfender Member

vous n'avez qu'à déclarer votre oeuvre à la SACEM ou vous vous l'envoyez(votre morceau) par la vraie poste et de garder le colis fermé!!!!

6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have worked on serveral collberation and have not had this problem. I do feel for you bro. I hope it all works out.

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Si tu vas te l'envoyer par la poste, il faut que ce soit en recommandé. Il vaut mieux que le colis inclue la partition.
    Pour déposer une œuvre auprès d'un organisme reconnu il y a bien mieux que la Sacem, moins cher et plus efficace. Creative Commons par exemple.

8. eheavy

eheavy Member

I always send mp3s till money is on the table or papers are signed. This way I don't let money and trust issues get in the way of making music

9. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

having your track on soundcloud DOES NOT PROVE IT IS YOURS

this is not how copyright works.
    the most easiest way to copyright something is to post it to yourself.

for example you could burn the project to disk and mail it to yourself, the unopened envelope and stamp will stand up in a court of law.

10. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

This is a myth and will not work. But I'm not a lawyer. It's probably also different from country to country. Well.. you can read a lot about it on the www. Would be interesting to hear from someone who really knows copyright law.

11. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

I hope that you immediately copyrighted the piece once you suspected foul play. You have no idea if he has copyrighted it as his own work, so cover this base now.

And you really don't know definitively that the piece has been stolen. There are several other possibilities to take into consideration. Maybe he got tossed into the slammer for public urination.

Out of curiosity, are you a published songwriter? Have you sold or licensed any of your works?

12. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

I`m hoping this is just gonna turn out to be a misunderstanding and he is NOT avoiding you!

However.....

If the worst turns out to be true, you gotta pick yourself up, brush yourself off and treat this as a HUGE mistake and learning curve. You will NOT get fooled again, right my friend!

Follow the advice of those above, people who have been there, done that and got the t-shirt to prove it!

Best of luck, hoping this does all work out right for you The Mask. :wink:

13. themask1005

themask1005 Newbie

Hey guys thanks! I haven't copyright the track under my name... :snuffy: Is very annoying because so far have been my best work... After send it to this person I had the change to contact soon very good singers and they offer to collaborate on the track even for free but in two months time from now.
    I had a bad feeling about this one though, wanted to make some noise or delete some sounds on the track before I send but all I did was to send a very low rate mp3 copy.
    I haven't head so far from the singer and I have stop writing already.
    So what if he release the track on his name and I do the same? I have all the email and conversations.
    Pretty much sucks and feel so angry at my self for been so stupid. I used to take so much precautions when I was a beginner and my work was cow popo but for me was amazing by then lol and now I do those kind of mistakes :dunno:

14. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Damn I need one of those

[​IMG]

15. themask1005

themask1005 Newbie

What's the meaning? Didn't understand haha

16. Kaylix

Kaylix Ultrasonic

That is too bad. If you really think that it is going to be an issue, I would think that having a project file vs. the thief with no project file, stems, etc. would be good proof for any court. Hopefully nothing will come of it and you have no need to worry. Think of this as a great lesson learned and as my mentor would say, "Never give anyone stems!" *no*

@fraifikmushi: Did this so called sword master have six fingers?

17. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

@themask, kaylix: it's a quest from monkey island 1, where you have to go through a long series of tasks to finally beat the sword master, and as a prize you get this 100% cotton shirt that says "I beat the sword master". It's a common reference in the nerd culture :)

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island/Part_One:_The_Three_Trials#Finding_the_Sword_Master

18. Kaylix

Kaylix Ultrasonic

I was always more of a fan of day of the tentacle :wink:

19. themask1005

themask1005 Newbie

Haha! I was looking to buy that t shirt as a reminder of how idiot Im haha

20. PianoMan

PianoMan Newbie

Forgive me for replying so late but I saw this and needed to reply! Check this thread out for copyright: https://audiosex.pro/threads/my-stolen-track.23666/page-2 . Don't worry about anything! If you want to sell the song just give him credit for doing the lyrics (if he wrote them) and in the copyright statement put your name for the music and his name for the lyrics i.e. (c) Copyright 2016 YOU and HIM and if you print any sheet music put names like this: Music by YOU Lyrics HIM. Then you are covered because any royalties paid will be divided 50/50. If you sell the publishing rights, on the contract you receive from the record/publishing company make sure it says 50% you and 50% him. The record/publishing company will take their cut whenever the song makes money (usually between 20% and 40%) and the money left over is paid at the rate of 50% to you and 50% to him. No problem! Bonne chance!

Also, I don't know the Performing Rights Society in France but check out the link below and try and join one of these as your songs will be registered in France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_copyright_collection_societies#France

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  21. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

hello I really hope he s not going to steal your music
    personally I would totally dislike such behaviour, not matter what
    anyway said that I suggest to make treasure of the experience, sign up in your local copyright agency
    I don t know about France, but in many countries only the final master is required, no special examinations to sign up
    Here you' d have to provide a 8 bars score for 4 elements, and till some year ago an harmonization written test and live improvvisation on some given instrument and backing track was required to sign up
    Yes I know, that s it unfortunately
    So now it would maybe only cost you 50-100 € to sign up and bring/ship them your tracks
    I am sure you would be more confident and relaxed with your collabos
    do all you can do, no regrets so
    I wish you to solve it peacefully