'' words of advice ''don't install every thing under the sun just because its FREE

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lyric8, Jan 10, 2012.

1. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

just because you can download software from the web dose not mean you should don't download it and install it because 1 half the stuff IS CRAP and all it dose is take up hard drive space then when you start running out of hard drive space then it takes days to find all the crap and uninstall it then you have to Defragment Your Disk Drive so don't do it unless you really need to use the software think about it''

3. touma

touma Newbie

how clever of you, i'm impressed.

4. Sepsta

Sepsta Newbie

I agree with lyric8, but I don't see any harm in downloading stuff, installing it, testing it, then uninstalling it immediately if it doesn't measure up.

No need for the snarky & douchey comment, touma.

5. malco

malco Newbie

thats because touma is such a bright boy..

..look in the Sonnoxplugins Oxford Elite thread @ Audioz and you know what i'm reffering to.. :rofl:

6. touma

touma Newbie

i couldn't help it, it amazed me.

7. touma

touma Newbie

I love my fans, cheers man. :hug:

8. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

I only download stuff that I can eventually afford.

9. manducator

manducator Member

I always considered myself the only one who thinks like this. Never been interested in the waves plugins (for instance) as I can't afford them anyway. When a plugin is really useful for me, I buy it.

10. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

OK guy's basically it was directed towards the newbies that are new to all this plugins stuff lol because i had to learn the hard way because you get all exited about all this stuff but then you find out most of it is crap

11. smartlad

smartlad Member

It is good advice.

Quality over quantity, discover what you like and learn it.

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Is there a definitive resource on the internet which highlights the best in class for each plug-in category?

For example the best 3 or 5 compressors, EQ, reverb etc.

I'm one of those people easily confused by choice *yes*

13. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

most of it isn't crap , it's just not suited to YOU.

is your main hard drive small or something?

i have my daw with at least 100 synths, couple hundred plugins,ni komplete,spectrasonics stuff,toontrack stuff, plus around 60 recent AAA pc game's fully installed, and a full MAME set , plus looking at my quicklaunch at least another 30 large apps (3d stuff,video editing,vmware images,etc).

and thats a 1tb drive..... with 290gigs free still.....

i don't remember the last time i thought to uninstall something because of space.

*shrug*

14. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

when i say crap i mean all the cheap vst plugins and my hard drive is not small my mane hard drive is 2 terabyte and i have 3 overs that are 1 terabyte each for my song projects samples and video storage its just not good to fill up your hard drive you should keep at lest half empty for good preference

15. obscure

obscure Newbie

I download many because of kvr's OSC ! It's not crap, you just don't know how to use them !

16. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Tis indeed sound advice!

Not only do end up with a VST/AU folder that is beyond obese, You also end up with so much crap that You could NEVER possibly learn to use properly.

Best to stick with a FEW quality plugz, learn them PROPERLY, then expand on that.

Same goes for Sample packs and Presets, too much choice ends up just tripping You up.

My tuppence worth.

:dancing:

17. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

I think once you have the basics of audio engineering down , as well as what different effects types do, you can use as many as you like, each one of the same type will have it's own twist or flavor, but hell.... a flanger is a dang flanger after all right?, once i know what it does and how the theory works and what it is normally used for, i can have as many different ones as i like and it shouldnt get confusing.

I agree on the sample packs though, slugging through a couple thousand presets and samples with no idea of the sound you actually want is a mass time waster.

The way i usually approach the whole software thing is that i always use a plugin/synth/soundset as soon as i install it, at the very least, for at least a half hour or so , so i know what it does and can mentally file away a bunch of its presets/sounds for later possible use.

18. google

google Newbie

..... new vengeance presets yey! i might install zeta 2 .. . ..... . after i play xbox with xkey.... ... .years passing .. ... nexus crack coming soon maybe... lol

19. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

How i agree with you my friend Pilz! *yes*
    I regularly make a selection of what i want to keep, the rest gets archived and backupped.
    What a luck that i don't use Pro Tools, otherwise i'd have other folders full of RTAS!!
    Unnecessary stuff slows down the performance of every DAW.

20. smartlad

smartlad Member

The only things I have backed up are Trilian and Omnisphere, everything else I use is easily replacable.

21. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Some people keep a notebook for this very purpose .. which is something that I may start doing :wink: