Wooden frame or not?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Qaiss, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Is there an acoustic reason why to put glass wool in a (wooden) frame?

I just glued it on my wall.

[​IMG]

3. martel80

martel80 Producer

Put some fabric (breatable like polyester ) on top and youre good to go.
    And no, theres no other reason then the wool use to be very fluffy and soft so people started putting them in frames.
    Nowadays, this ''wool'' if very rigid so unless you have animals or kids that might punch or kick them, dont put them in frames.

But like I said, put some fabrics on top....the rokwool fiber is very very thin and can damage your gear in the long therm ....specialy your pc or any other ones with a fan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Aesthetics.

Doesn't have to be wood, you can make frames out of HDEU foam and fiberglass over it for rigidity, then run LEDs through it, w.e.

Some people want that clean and polished look, but if you are the only person that will ever see it, doesn't matter. You could have put it it the wall as well with a low density thin plasterboard sheet in front of it and made it invisible.

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I would not just use a wooden frame but completely seal it in some type of dense fabric. Rockwool is potentially carcinogenic so you should keep it completely enclosed.

See this Gearslutz thread for reference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I put mine in aluminum drywall corner bead. Takes a hell of a lot longer, but it looks just as pro as anything you can buy... quick and cheap - you can make frames out of Home Depot large boxes held togetherness with some 3M90... cheap muslin is your best bet for fabric... you'll wanna cover that crap. Unless you prefer being itchy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Won't dense fabric (negatively) influence the absorption quality?

8. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Satin works fine for me

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Mark Daniel

Mark Daniel Newbie

For optimal performance, you must leave some air space (2 to 4 inches) between the panel and the wall. It will be way more efficient in the low-mid...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

As long as it's "breathable". It's kind of ironic, since fiberglass is carcinogenic. But the point is - you want the air pressure to penetrate the fabric, yet hold the (micro-sized) fiberglass inside the wrapped textile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. As said, leaving a gap between the wall and the insulating material renders the whole setup more efficient, and ironically the fabric covering the fiberglass must be breathable to enable the sound to slip past and be turned into heat upon being dealt with by all that spun glass. Satin seems to me a material that might not be best suitable as a protective cover though as I think it too fine a weave. It sure might look a whole might prettier than say the most inexpensive fabric, burlap, but something such as burlap works wonderfully. I visited a fellow's studio during the summer, a salesman at a music store where I buy hardware, microphones and such, and the cloud above his mixing desk was made of fiberglass bat filled burlap sacks that cost him zero money. They came from a coffee roaster. I am going to do the same for myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016
  12. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

Yeah i put it in frame, can move it about while measuring room response and don't like rock wool on my hands, can also put it behind door and move it when door needs opening. You can cover it easier too and it's got a more aesthetic appeal. As you've done is fine if it serves all your needs depends if you just want to control acoustics or want to keep noise down outside the room a bit more.

13. shomyca

shomyca Producer

As others have said, the gap between the insulation and the wall is why the wooden frame is used. Also normally, ticker insulation is used to have real effect (10cm), it gets heavy so not sure gluing it is even possible. I wouldn't bother framing this thin piece and making the gap, bet there wouldn't be any difference, so I would just leave this like that for the moment...sure, some breathable material over it for sure.