Woah be us Mac users...

Discussion in 'Software' started by krakdhaus, Oct 21, 2017.

1. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

I know I've posted this before... but I guess the Mac teams are dried up. Seems no one these days are shaken the Mac scene with the 'good stuff'. S. Drummer 3, Helix, etc... are all being bypassed. Maybe it's because Apple hasn't provided a decent updated laptop worth a damn... or a desktop (for the last 5yrs). Made the move (stupidly) to High Sierra... it ate my Bootcamp version of Windows 10 (which I had to trick the system into installing... cause my 2011 17" MBP... is just too old (but, I was able to run it fine before... proving it can be done). With the event of HS hitting the public... it is bogged down with the new APFS file format (that is the default when installing onto laptops), plus the god-awful 'SID'... and more hoops to jump thru, the fact that in the newer machines you can't access things like expanding ram... and crap like that... the pro-sumer market (which held them aloft thru their lean years) has had Apple turn their backs to them. Utterly ridiculous. Hackintosh is the only alternative for those who(such as myself) like OSX, but like the availability to expand and upgrade.
    I used to be able to run Dual-Boot and have 2 more partitions on my single drive... but alas, me thinks no more...
    Can't blame them reverser's for giving up on what was a very attractive OS. I do like Windows 10... and am surprised how easy it is in getting around. Plus... all them plugs.
    Been an avid Apple user since '94... I currently have 5 machines floating around the joint, but I refuse to purchase any new Mac . Not worth the $$$... and the frustration of being 'held back'...

3. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

iMacPro looks promising and next year apple will introduce an upgradable modular trash can 2.
    It sounds weird. "I don't want to buy a new mac because no warez for it."

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Do the best, use both with VEP 6. Hackintosh are upgradable e cheap.
    Still OSX have a ton of cracks and unique tools.
    Better then one hottie are 2 hotties!

5. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

well....yeah!
    Trash can 2, huh?... ?
    Upgradeable... yeah... only with Apple parts....

6. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

aka Mac Pro

[​IMG]

What is "apple parts"? Intel chip and AMD graphic card?

7. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I do not really see the point of any of this.

Are you being held back somehow? Is the lack of readily available warez the problem or is your Macintosh somehow keeping you from getting an idea out of your head and recorded by the physical limitations it imposes on you somehow.

It is a valid gripe, I guess, to complain that you do not have new toys to play with. I don't tend to think along those lines, but some people need new things to get them rolling along on a journey of exploration and that sometimes lead them to new and spectacular places. I tend to avoid that kind of thinking personally because it really tends to lead me down the rabbit hole of blaming everything else but myself when things become bogged down.

It is one of the reasons that I sometimes just go on long stretches with with just old analog gear and real instruments and the computer becomes a glorified tape machine. Thought that does have its own draw backs, I am adding a second API 500VPR10 to fit in more stuff that I probably don't need. However, at the end of the day, I know that the choke point is in my head and it's not the tools that are holding me back. 20 years ago I could not have even imagined half the stuff that exists today.

8. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Spell it correctly, maybe?

Woe is me
    is an archaic idiom expressing sorrow or despair.

9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

It's not like you can't stop making/editing music if there isn't any new warez. Even though I'm not on mac, i've started making my own tools since a few years ago .

10. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

I get this win/mac and back thing 100%. I've been around a long time. I've seen the pendulum swing back and forth between windows crackers and mac crackers day in the sun. I think it probably just comes down to what main OS the ones doing the cracking are using at any given time and who feels like doing it to begin with. Mac has had it's heyday in shares before where windows users were left wanting too at points. I'm way grateful for anyone spending the time to figure this stuff out and then having the guts to share it. And yes, I see some pretty impressive windows shares that might not have (or ever) make it to the Mac and there is a normal human bit of envy that goes down, but not because we don't have enough free stuff to create for years to come, just normal human emotions. In the end if it bothers anyone that much they can simply switch to Windows or buy the stuff. Lastly I'll say that I believe too much has been said about naysayers and complainers etc. There will always be this side of things in any endeavor on the internet and in life in general. No one should let that get in the way of the people that share and the people that so appreciate what is provided. I've mostly learned to ignore bad stuff, which is very very hard to get used to doing but is possible.

11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Well mate... pretty much... everything is going to...
    [​IMG]

And seriously speaking one has to be in the know to take the best from everything. Once you're past that know-how stage everything is much more clear. The only no-fuss OS for music these days is W7, sorry to say. If Mac is your flavour you also have to stick to older versions of the OS. Nobody cares about real-time performance and people who make audio/video content. :( OSes are bloated money-making whores these days. We have what we have and use it the best we can.

What I'd really like to see is a dedicated for audio/video real-time performing OS and it's not going to be Windows or OS-X for sure. These things are going to shambles fast. The sooner Windows disappears from the whole OS scene, the better. But it's going to take a lot of time and effort. I wonder if it will ever happen, actually, since they accumulated so much money that they could buy countries, but most importantly - people and that's what they've been doing since the dawn of computer age. :(

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  12. Symphonic

Symphonic Newbie

! Woah iz me bro.. bone-app the teeth bitch

13. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I think I understand the OP to be stating something that I am fearing myself, whether rightly or wrongly. It is not new warez going forward so much as, from this point forward in terms of both OS and all new Mac hardware, will we be able to migrate our existing (legit or not) software, that are the backbone and workhorses of our workflow since at least the inception of OS X? I worry that High Sierra and a shift towards only SSD architecture will have serious consequences for a smooth transition from where most Mac users are at present.

14. Symphonic

Symphonic Newbie

yes i agree, wish there was a shitfree win10 cutdown version, it feels like they want it to be more like a mac UI.
    but most audio software has historically been windows first, then ported to mac. windows has the biggest share of users duh.. macs are slightly more special becuase they are premade, unconfigurable, overpriced.
    its like if you want a smartphone with lots of apps dont buy one from windows then.

15. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I can understand some of this having bought a Mac Pro (2009). It was on the "dropped by support" list for Sierra.
    Thankfully I got the hack to work and it's now running Sierra fine.

During the firmware I done a clean install. Only put Logic and Maschine on, both purchased years ago.
    My lesson... that's all I need. Between those 2 products I'm not missing anything... my productivity has risen and I make better sounds with my "limited" tool set.

Limited being:
    66 effect plug-ins, 21 plug-ins, 9 MIDI plug-ins, 5600 loops... that's just Logic.

Focus on music, not the gear. Nothing is "holding you back" other than yourself :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017