Winrar extraction error?

Discussion in 'PC' started by danielthai, Nov 16, 2011.

1. danielthai

danielthai Newbie

Hi all!

This happened so many times already so I'm gonna ask: I've downloaded the large amount of rar file. While I try to extract it, winrar will show some error messages saying: "the file is corrupt (or broken)".
    Is that a problem with my winrar setting, or is that the compressor problem while compress the rar file?
    What can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Is this on a Mac or Windows?

4. zspin.stomp.shuffle

zspin.stomp.shuffle Newbie

"file" try to find the one at fault and download it again..sometimes the packer makes problem too.

5. danielthai

danielthai Newbie

It Is on a PC, my friend!

6. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

I gave up on winrar cause of problems with it's settings. Been useing 7zip [ http://www.7-zip.org/ ] for years now and had very few problems.

but dan01 has a point it might just be one part didn't download right. if it is that, then the part will be a differant size to all the rest. All the rar's will be one size exsept the last file (as there's no point in adding filler to make up the size) and the file that didn't download right (as a chunk is missing)
    you can't miss it

If you already know this sorry, I thought I could help for once.

7. G String

G String Rock Star

y- it will tell you the part that's failed. another way is to find the odd-sized part (last part will be different size anyway) If there is a bad part delete it and redownload just that one. You can sometimes repair rars using the repair function. But probs better to just download the corrupt/truncated part.

sometimes you need a more recent version of winrar - if you're using old version and rars were packed with newer version. occasionally 7zip will work when winrar won't.