Windows for DAW: Win 7, Win 8 or Win10?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Ambar, Oct 16, 2015.

?

Windows for DAW

1. Win10

27.0%
  2. Win8

12.9%
  3. Win7

55.2%
  4. WinXP FTW

4.9%
  1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@Ankit Hello again :)
    First of all, let me clarify the only thing i am biased towards is healthy computing for my recording studio which is my main job and for my customers who pay me to build specific pcs that will handle heavy audio or video tasks which is my sidejob. If a new Windows OS is in the works, i will test it thoroughly and when its released, i will test and re-test it again and again under many possible scenarios, and if it works, be sure i 'll be the first to embrace it. I test more possible scenarios for and on a machine i build that most end users will never use. When building a machine to a client's specific needs, there is always " The what if" scenario, which of course me and my couple of colleagues need to cross examine deeply and 1) ensure optimum performance and 2) eliminate any possibility of malfunction, to the extent that is possible with our means of course. Be it software of hardware malfunction. So you may want to run 8 Ch of Kontakt, and 4ch of Omnisphere2, some BFD or Addictive Drums or Superior Drummer, and 20-30 audio channels and you don't know what overclocking means. Which is an everyday scenario i meet all the time. Be sure that we have successfully ran twice the audio ch and vsti ch, we tested your machine under tremendous cpu and gpu stress, even overclock tested it etc etc , before we ask you to pay us for the services rendered. This is not me bragging. This me saying that we HAVE tested Win10 under most possible scenarios. Cubase, Sonar, Live, FL Studio, Studio One, Audition,Vegas ,Premiere, and any app u can think of that makes or records some effin' "noise" has been run through our test machines which span from modest i5 builds to monstrous dual 8 core Xeon. And because i heard you speaking AudioUtopia ( @Ankit ), we test it all, but, WE BUY our software.
    Bottom line? Atm, there is NO productivity gain in the DAW world WHATSOEVER by upgrading from Win 7/8 to Win10. NONE - period. ANYONE WHO HAS PROOF AND METRICS THAT WIN 10 IS FASTER ON ANY DAW, BRING IT IN THE DISCUSSION OR BE POLITELY IGNORED. I even suggest to my clients if they have already a Win8 license, to exercise their right and downgrade to Win7. Why ? Because its HASSLE FREE MAN !! Guess what. All my studio and clients' machines i have built the past two years are all WIN10 READY ! As a matter of fact, long before most of the end users had the chance to use it we had already sunk our teeth in it, running full blown tests, scenarios,even debugging where we could etc. No we 're not developers. But we are seriously passionate about everything we do, be it music or computing or both. So if and when the time comes and Win10 is a "one way street", we are ready for it dude. Bring it on. Till then, as professional end users and custom system builders who need the best possible experience for us and our clients and optimal everyday use, we stay away from it. And undoubtedly, this is the MOST LOGICAL choice.
    Finally about "Win10 LTSB is the answer". Excuse me, the answer to what exactly ? The upcoming strictly DX12 games ? LOL. Can you tell what is different from a Win7 installation to a Win10 LTSB ? In a nutshell, Win10 LTSB is a "Poor man's Win7 SP2 Lite". LOL. Poor man's because it has a badly designed, inconsistent GUI, and SP2 because of the new ram handling for some multi threaded apps. Lite because every other new feature is actually bloatware and stripped from this version. And Win7 because all else is practically the same (or even worse). I applaud the effort in making this iso. But it's still far from being an answer to anyone who wants stability and hassle free performance. So whats new man ? Storage Spaces? While it is a welcome little addition, I am very certain that people who are in need of a raid array would definitely NOT use this service for their storage needs. I am also certain that most of the Win10 fanboys dunno wtf Storage Spaces does anyway. And, whoever you are correct me if i am wrong, they most certainly are HOME users. Oh i am sorry i forgot ! The up button in the File Explorer is back ! LOL again. And of course LTSB still gets the updates from MS. So you need to spend a couple of hours pasting URLS into your router's block list, or be spied on, which some may agree to but many don't. I would love to hear about what is practically new to Win10 that improves upon Win7 except what mentioned earlier in this thread's posts.
    Peace

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

That was a pleasure to read, taskforce. :wink: I'm pretty much in the same ballpark, but not having so many clients, so I have more than enough time to record and make music, but that's the reason I'm always short on dosh. :hahaha: You have one or the other, I guess. But I'm not complaining, actually. I think I got the balance perfectly. For my needs. :wink:

What happens to many [like 99%] people, and that's why they perceive the newer MS OS as faster is that they buy a new computer, install a fresh and newer OS, and then compare it to the older computer with already worn out OS twice, that survived a dozen of viruses and antiviruses, heaps of malware, crapware, and whatnotware. :hahaha: Of course the new computer with a new, freshly installed OS runs faster! I don't think they make new computers slower than the old ones [yet?], and every freshly installed OS will work faster than a worn out one. It happens to all OSes, too, but to Windows especially. It is constructed that way so it slowly [or fast?] wears off and slows down to a crawl if you don't take really good care of it and restrain yourself from installing new software every day.

And how blatantly MS lies to you about new OS being faster and whatnot! It is quite understandable, though. Who is expecting them to say something like "This is our new OS, and we're so sorry that it's slower than our last one, but we simply had to put so much crap in it just because we need to show to our shareholders that we're innovative, and that we're evolving constantly." Is anybody that crazy to believe MS would tell you that? Since XP times I've been hearing same old, same old "this new OS is faster, better, more secure, and it can lick your balls, too!" rubbish. So I wasn't that surprised tht W8.1 lite turned out to be the slowest of the three MS OSes in my benchmarks that I made on the same PC, with all the same settings, even the same optimisations and tweaks like disabling the most offending services, disabling graphic FX, system restore, task scheduler etc. I honestly thought [stupidly] that W8 would perform at least on par with W7 because I read a lot of good things about W8 at the time and how they worked like mad on optimisations to the kernel so it would work faster than W7. What a load of hippo excrement! Have you ever seen a hippo having a crap? You have to see that to believe it... :hahaha:

3. gokkyofficial

gokkyofficial Ultrasonic

FL 12 users (WİN10) ask me everything =)

4. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Again, It's your choice.:wink:

5. T2000

T2000 Ultrasonic

Ok, so I've decided to go with Win 7...
    ... but how long until DAW developers drop it?
    What's the risk of getting everything right on Win 7, then finding that Ableton 10 is only for Win 8 and Win 10 for example?

Would that mean Win 8 is a better option
    (I only have Win 7 or 10 as options on my new laptop, so I can't really go for Win 8 unless there's a good release 'kicking around')

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I don't think developers will drop W7 any time soon, but MS "dirk digglers" like Native Instruments might drop it in a couple of years. However, I think they'll drop W8 support at the same time, too, and go with supporting W10 only. All audio developers will eventually do that, but they support OS-X at the same time, and the support for Linux is growing and Linux is getting better all the time... so I think some interesting and possibly crucial times for computing in general are ahead. Until then enjoy making music with W7 or W8 if you use touchscreen! :wink:

edit: Some more about crucial times ahead. In the next ~5 years and up the CPU making silicon technology will come to a wall as it becomes increasingly more complicated to shrink the transistor beyond about 7 nanometres. Photon or Carbon nanotubes CPUs ahead, mates. :wink:

My prediction is that by that time Windows will become not nearly as popular as today, and Linux will become a mainstream OS supported by governments who don't want America and its companies spying on them and their people. Windows will become perhaps as popular as OS-X is today. Generally, only Americans will keep using it. This is already happening as we speak and it started a couple of years ago. Americans are living in their dream, pipe dream that is. :sad:

:cheers:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  7. clubnavee

clubnavee Newbie

Lol great stuff here! However I would like to keep my ramblings pursuant to the OS related to the performance of the DAW. I have never really had performance issues with any Windows OS other than VISTA...and I stayed away from it the same way I refuse to give in to Windows 10. The performance I speak of was achieved by truly stripping ALL the fat from Windows for "audio only" related applications and hardware (since the Windows 98SE platform) but the method has always been the same: Super Bare Bones!!!

* Make sure every driver related to the hardware (I.e. Motherboard and BIOS) are up-to-date and functional.

* Strip the fat and remove EVERY application from the OS that does not fall within the scope of bare operation.

* This computer never connects to the Internet so the DAW of choice will be one not dependent of being online for anything!

* Burn all services to the ground such as TCPIP/DNS, etc. and all their dependencies...again no Internet!

* Use the same caution by getting rid of all orphaned registry entries remaining including unused file extensions.

* IF done well >>reboot<< to a clean bare as hell quite snappy and responsive OS

* BTW: Security is not an issue...it has to go too...no need of any process other than what is needed for the OS to operate.

NOW THE GOOD PART
    * Install apps, plugins and drivers for audio hardware, etc.
    (Noting of course infectious software could be an issue--especially without the likes of detection processing. So it has to be a known-known that everything being installed is good...and can easily be tested on the other computer that does connect to the Internet with security (the illusion) and other means of malicious, trojan, backdoor, data-mining, blah-blah detection installed as way of making sure you will not be infecting your audio-only computer.

* After that just make and record music on a machine dedicated solely to music production. It does run and perform BETTER than the commonly setup rigs that include all the Windows/Background Services...and to make it run just as well...Kill the "chubby process-hungry" explorer service so that you ONLY see a blank desktop without a start menu or task tray.

*Use Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) to run a task: by browsing to the executable (exe) of your DAW. When opened it will be the ONLY thing you see...consider it a hardware-specific machine labeled your DAW. You don't even have to close it or shut it down...it can just remain open at all times, because it is the ONLY thing you are running and using on this computer (of course the plugins, etc are a given, but you know what I mean) this kind of audio machine is a workhorse and beast. Just sayin!

Anyone with an extra computer to spare should try it and will definitely see a notable difference in performance and application/computer benchmarks--compared to the other machine with audio and extras! This method also works great for Video Only and/or Graphics Only setups too.

Just turning off the process task "explorer" and using Task Manager to load an application without the desktop gives a lil boost of performance in normal setups no matter what application task is run. I am sure people have noticed how much process "explorer" (as-in Windows Explorer I.e. Desktop) takes just sitting idle...and all the latest OS crap with the animated tiles and tons of crap in the sys tray is for the birds. So...what matters most about the DAW in my opinion when it comes to specific task is how it is configured.

I have been getting great results with:

* Windows 98SE (the days of Cubase/SEK'D Samplitude)

* Windows ME (the seedling that would become XP...added Nuendo)

* Windows 2000 (because FAT32 was getting played out for audio size restrictions and NTFS was in...besides pro audio apps performed better on NTFS formatted drives then...added Sequoia)

* Ah Windows XP (She was amazing and gave one hell of a bare bone show *sniffles* I miss her...ALL DAWS on deck including Pro Tools)

* But wait a minute...say it ain't so...Sweet-n-Sexy Curvaceous Powerhouse Windows 7 (I had my gal back but better, faster, stronger, 64 bit and most of my preferred audio vendors could only be installed on her because XP lacked the ta-ta's and perfect rear...I'm pleading my rite to the 5th on how much ProAudioSex we had...her lovely body gives me the bone...I mean chills...seeing her bare)

Lol, Ok story is over...Yeh, yeh, what about 8?!? I had to have one of my wrist twisted to deal with Windows 8 on one of my computers for the purpose of using a software...that was catered to the 8...whom I simply hate...for not being great...and seasonally late...setup my lovely XP as bait...so I had to wait...but she wanted me to date...sorry I already ate...ugh here take my money because now you're my fate...and before I every give in to YOUR replacement Win 10 I'll stuff myself in a crate...this is not a debate...and I will always be pissed at what your company put on my plate. *bow head* *drops mic*

"I would like thank every last person in the world who has reported their findings and disgust surrounding the newfound slut Win10! The world needs good gals like XP and 7 who had and still have class. 8? Um, who this heffer right here...well she's the kind you throw money at on stage if you get my drift. Ya know: THE "you-don't-REALLY-hate-her"...BUT "you-don't-ACTUALLY-like-her-either" type...however she still makes a great late night alternative *slapped on the rear* when you cannot have an XP or 7 in your life :) #AintThatRightDarlin #NowThatsAudioSex #OfficallyCorrupted #AdvancedAudioWinSex #TimeToBareBone #SeXP #Sex7

Cheers mates :)

8. Ankit

Ankit Guest

I think 7 will be supported for a very long time.

9. mylonojr

mylonojr Ultrasonic

I've tried Cubase with windows 7, 8.1 and 10, all pro versions. I think, Windows 7 was the slowest of all three. When the installation is fresh, there is no real difference but after a few months, W7 gets annoyingly slow.
    S0, I'd recommend Windows 10 or maybe Windows 8.1

P.S. Also a good processor (i5 or preferably -but not necessarily- i7) and lot of RAM are a must. As for Mac's, I can't really say as I've ever used one 'cause I don't like their "we-have-the-best-performance-we-have-the-best-design-we-are-the-best-fuck-you-all-please-and-thank-you" attitude.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  10. mylonojr

mylonojr Ultrasonic

Go for windows 10 and update your DAW just in case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  11. mylonojr

mylonojr Ultrasonic

"OSX is specially designed to run correctly"?!?!? You don't sound like a developer of anything. All computer programmes are allegedly designed to run correctly, at least that's what the companies say.

12. mylonojr

mylonojr Ultrasonic

P.P.S. A 64-bit operational system is also a must.

13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@mylonojr I suggest you read this thread and the posts. I am sorry but your main post is based on inconclusive opinion. All Windows Os get slower with time, mainly but not solely because of the registry getting bigger, a shitload of unused drivers loaded at startup, abandoned dlls and various other "trash" that remains from past software installations/uninstallations. Win10 makes no exception to this rule. In its core base its "flawed" the same exact way as Vista,7,8,8.1 because it uses the exact same mechanics to update its registry,driver base etc etc. Now add all the annoying or down right terrifying facts about Win10 and see for yourself. Just don't say you haven't been warned.
    Have a nice one.