Windows for DAW: Win 7, Win 8 or Win10?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Ambar, Oct 16, 2015.

?

Windows for DAW

1. Win10

27.0%
  2. Win8

12.9%
  3. Win7

55.2%
  4. WinXP FTW

4.9%
  1. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Windows 7 users need to get with the times. They were the same people that said they were sticking to XP when 7 came out.

My philosophy is always stay one version behind the current so that developers can have time to push out updates and sort out compatibility issues while still reaping the benefits of a newer OS.

I have had no issues with Windows 8.x.

If it wasnt for the Windows 7 guys, developers would have been more focused on windows 8 and therefore better prepared for windows 10.

I call them OS hipsters.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

w8.1 64bit on 256Gb SSD here...

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

"I think i should install win10 because it is the latest.." now that's the absolutely most credible reason to install Windows 10 for audio. :rolleyes:

When you're installing a DAW system, your first thoughts should be stability, compatibility and ease of use. Windows 10 doesn't tick neither of the boxes... Regarding audio, some will say that W10 and 8 are better optimised for audio because MS said so. Indeed, it's a bit better optimised for Windows Audio, but that has nothing to do with ASIO that is generally used for professional DAW apps. So anyway, nowadays I recommend and install Windows 7 x64 very lightly and tightly packed [W7 lite] for audio or XP SP3 if memory requirements can be met with it [2GB per project]. In some cases even WXP x64.

I've written about the reasons to stick to these older systems extensively in the past... I have no nerves to do it again. I've got work to do... If you like W10 use it. I don't care. You're not my client. :wink:
    Cheers :mates: !

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Win 10. No problems at all. Happy with it.

What a BS. Kid please take calculator and perform some simple mathematical operations with it. Top notch iMac = 3500$.
    Start with 27" 5k display ( lowest deal at amazon with dell monitor - 2700$) and then pick up same cpu/ram/gpu/motherboard/ and proper cooling system. You will be surprised. Same for mac pro. Pc with the same hardware will have the same price. Now take some sedatives and go sleep. This is not OSX vs win thread.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

No not even close when i built my last homebuilt PC it had the exact same specs (well even better because of more ram than a the best mac pro build i could find in my country) and it cost a fifth of the price
    I dont know where you buy your computer stuff (i guess in america hence the amazon link) i used a site that can compared prices and i could find the cheapest ones for motherboard cpu etc in my country and buy them from those stores
    So don´t call it BS if you know anything sure you could compare with overpriced stuff but if you look you can find it way cheaper now thats impossible with mac:s no discount or anything atleast not in my country.

6. oscill8r

oscill8r Member

windows 8.1 64 bit (NT 6.3) ... you know its the same underlying kernel as Windows 7 (NT 6.1) and Windows Vista (NT 6.0) right??

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Just to add that I really don't wanna deal with the crap like this, too: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/1...ow-uses-windows-10s-start-menu-to-display-ads or this: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/10/15/2210224/windows-10-upgrades-are-being-forced-on-some-users There are many threads like that about W10 that leave a bitter taste in my mouth. MS, you can stuff it! I use a proper system for Internet anyway. It's called Debian. When you have that [Internet/communication] out of the way it makes far more sense to use "lite" XP/7 for *audio only*.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Win7 x64 on one partition for some more recent releases
    Win xp x32 on another for some old 32bit stuff I like
    Linux on a third partition for Internet use.

9. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Ok, first of all, you are saying I'm idiot ?!?? Who are you man ??? Really... If you have something to say on thread, say your opinion and that's all. But, insulting someone, that's really badddd and I when this happen I always thought "why I'm here?". What have I done to you ???

Second, I have both systems too, and I know well all apples shit as the windows shit. But I'm not like you to say "better then you", who knows. And whats the point of thing "I know better then you?" What is this all about? Is this a forum? My car better then your, my doorbell better then your ?!?? WTF :) This thread is one of threads with opened discussions.

Third, I was writing about hardware/software design (as complete box) and that how apple is rigid about that. So comparing well designed mac with all of integrated stuff (it's just designed to work well with audio, video, graphics etc...) with some windows configuration and some nVidia or ATI bad drivers (because your motherboard USB3 driver is bad) is impossible. And just because someone earlier try to compare that (on this thread).
    Yes core audio is shit too... but hey, try to record you guitar with some cheap integrated crystal audio (integrated on you motherboard) :) and you will see the difference, you have both OS.

And finally, I'm not on mac side or the windows side... I hate it both! The funny thing is that for production I'm using my well configured win7 machine :) I wish I have more money to buy some modular synth etc... that's enjoying.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  10. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I think one reason why Windows 8 is faster than 7, is because it's tickless - apps which force windows to switch between tasks faster (say, from 100 times/sec to 1000 times/sec) to make things seem faster/responsive may actually slow the system down, because switching tasks takes time & resources.

See: http://arstechnica.com/information-...-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/2/
    https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/windows-timer-resolution-megawatts-wasted/

11. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Tell Mackie to update their goddamn drivers and maybe then I'll consider moving on from Windows 7 :dunno:

12. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Win 10 all the way for me.. but an SSD will do 100x more for u than any OS will.

My read / write went from around 30mbs to 500mbs...

Its like Rocket fuel.:headbang:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  13. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

What is "most popular" vst? What you use play a big part. I can not vote without knowing this.

14. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

I'l pay you if you notice any significant difference between Win7 and Win10.

15. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

You need my paypal?

Win 10 for me.. more stable, faster, less stress, not a single negative thing... for ME.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

I think too what DAW your actually running and what version of that DAW. I was Happily on Win 7 for many years with minimal issues and decent performance in Cubase 7 , i didn't really like WIN 8 but Steiny recommended it so i upgraded and damned it i didn't see a significant improvement in performance , like 50%+ at this time i was running a machine from 2009. when Cubase 8 came the performance got even better. and even slightly better in Win 10... WiN 10 is really good if you don't mind doing a little work beforehand removing and dialling crap you don't need. but in the end I think its worth it.

17. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

More stable? I've never had stability issues with Win7 unless it was due to faulty driver or hardware.
    Show me the benchmark comparison of the same project on identical machine and fresh installed OS.

18. Revenant

Revenant Member

Still running good ol' W7. Wouldn't recommend upgrading to 10 until it has become more stable (mainly driver support).

19. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Yes but they never tell anyone that it's biased on free BSD. I will use Linux before I buy a free OS. Apple act's to me like the invented the wheel
    when in reality they had a stable OS and just modified it.

20. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

yeah, I'll get right on that, in between workin on 4 jobs, kids, grand kids and Xmas.. lol..

Don't need to prove what I already know. Win 10 is hands down the best OS Ive used in 20 years.

people wanna dwell and live in the past, thats up to them.. this is just my input on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List