Windows 8.1 64Bit is it compatible with all Daws & plugins

Discussion in 'PC' started by Mr_Amine, Mar 11, 2015.

1. DeepStar

DeepStar Member

I'm running Win 8.1 pro X64. I found Win 8 more problematic in the beginning due to compatibility issues which went away after a few updates. Now it's perfect. NO issues ever while DJing with Traktor. FL 11 and 12 beta run flawlessly, Ableton Live 9 x64 runs perfectly, not even issues with x64 plugins. Pro Tools 10 ran well-ish but I'm pretty sure 99% of it's issues had to do with the crack and such. No problems with NI products (of course). If anything, my laptop has never been better. I find Microsoft Office more buggy than any of my DAW's

2. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

Explain to me why i cant use latest OSX and not latest Logic not a bunch of new upgrades on my Mac pro 6 years old only??

With a 6 years old PC i could use ANY new software go figure why i simply hate apple and osx

3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

For info, I'm using Win 8.1 x64 on a five years old laptop with Studio One.

Just so you know, the laptop only has 3 GB of RAM (not even four!) and I'm not having any issues except maybe some swap time when using a lot of samples in Kontakt.

So far, all the plugins installed worked flawlessly.

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Apple = built in obsolescence.

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Microsoft has NOT stopped supporting Windows 7.

It has just stopped developing new features for W7 (mainstream support). Extended support will last until 2020.

When WinXP extended support ended last year (released 2001), and W7 was released (2009).

See: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/lifecycle

6. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Just set-up my first Hackintosh yesterday running in dual boot mode with Yosemite and Windows 8.1 and I've gotta say, Win 8.1 is rock solid stable. Cubase is running, Presonus Studio One is working (funny enough it's the only App not working in the OSX System of the Hackintosh), FL Studio as well as ProTools 10 (PT was a bit complicated, though). No Problems.

I switched from PC to Mac when Vista (*puke*) was released. Windows has done well since then. I think CORE Audio is still the better Audio Driver platform and superior over ASIO, but if you use an external Interface it is not really an issue.

And as far as compatibility is concerned MS is way ahead of Apple.

If you have Windows 7 installed you can upgrade to 8.1 easy. It created a rollback image of 7 if you don't want to keep it.

The only thing I suggest is to install "Classic Shield" which brings the classic start menu back. The Metro Design doesn't make sense for Desktop Computing.

7. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Producer

Dont know how this turned into another mac vs windows thread, people can do great things on both systems.. it's not what you have, it's how you use it right? and yes im talking about computers, daws etc not other things.

Anyway to answer the op , I currently use Windows 8.1 (switching to mac but keeping my windows laptop for somethings) and have had no problems at all apart from the sound toys thing Cat said about and a problem with Lexicon and jBridge but that could be just because im using 64bit not because of Windows 8.1, i dont know :dunno:
    Anyway i highly recommend that you upgrade to Windows 8.1 it feels like it is alot faster and more stable then Windows 7 (in my opinion) but you may not like the start menu as thats what alot of people complain about but that can be fixed with a little program called "Start8" witch will give you the classic start menu back. Hold off on upgrading to windows 10 though as all the versions available on the net right now let microsoft get alot of information about you.

DAWs i have tried with Windows 8.1

Studio One
    Ableton
    Fl Studio
    Reaper

and they are all working, i herd cubase 5 (the cracked version) dont work on it though..

8. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Honestly, i don't see any PC VS Mac thing going on, probably you misunderstood some posts.

The Soundtoys problem(about automation) was not really OS related, it was actually about Soundtoys, that's why they updated their plugins an year ago (or so) and they all works great on Windows 8.1 now. :bow:

Evo

9. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Producer

Yea i did, thats what i get for speed reading. Lesson learned.

I was talking about SoundToys Native Effects v4.1.8 - R2R Witch wont even show up in Windows 8, well for me anyway :wink:

10. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

The portable Version of Cubase 5.1.2 works like a charm I heard.