Windows 7 vs Hackintosh (and DAW)

Discussion in 'PC' started by Candena, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Candena

Candena Newbie

Hi guys!

I've been talking to some friends about the possibility of installing MAC OSX Snow Leopard (Hackintosh) in my PC. I've been told it's a more reliable and powerful Operating System. The thing is some of them actually use Mac computers and I don't know if there may be any limitations or whatever for the fact that i'm using a PC... Other than that they recomended that I use Logic Pro 9 in case I install MAC OSX.

I'd like to read some opinions on this matter. I'm currently using Windows 7 x64 with Cubase 5 in a PC with 4Gb RAM, i3 processor and a M-audio Fast Track Pro Soundcard.

Please include strength/weakness ratio in your comments.

Thanks in advance.

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

its a pain in the ass and takes hours to get everything working. and when u have a non intel cpu forget about it.
    sometimes the graficcard and the motherboard makes problems and also updating could go wrong ...

but u could try it ;)
    what variante u wanna use? a la carte or distribution?!
    i tried both ... to bad we cant run MAC OSX inside virtual box or VM-Ware :/ that would make things easier ...

4. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

there are only certain types of PC that can be made in to a (Hackintosh) you have to do a lot of research after you do that then you mite find a computer on craigslist for cheap if your lucky after its all said and done you should just buy a mac i tried to use PC for music and video production when i first started out i had so many problems i wanted to throw the dam PC out the window then a fried that was using MAC helped told me what kind of MAC to buy and every thing worked perfect from the start and i have owned 4 MAC's and even the oldest MAC worked meter then any PC iv used and im not bashing PC users im telling you that it has worked better for me if you go with a MAC you wont regret it you can find a good MAC on craigslist for cheap some times a quad or 8 core good luck

5. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Hi,

If you use a good motherboard, intel based, such as gigabyte ( best for hack ) or asus it s very easy to set up, you can find all the drivers needed easly, just make sure you choose the good parts.
    Once properly done it s EXACTLY the same as a real mac.
    I have one, desktop, it s very stable, i also have a real mac : no difference at all.

The best website for hackintosh is www.insanelymac.com you can find a lot of tutorials and drivers, it s the place to start.

Hope this help, bye.

6. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

I have a Hackintosh and it runs great! It has some older parts (Gigabyte Mobo for sure) and a Q6600 quad core. I had a few issues at first with a cheapo graphics card running dual monitors but was resolved with an upgraded card. Combo updates directly from Apple have gone smooth up to 10.6.8 (no use for Lion yet). For some it has been a nightmare but I guess I lucked out with my hardware that I used to build my computer. I dual boot Windows 7 and have no problems with Windows either. You may also go to Kakewalk or tonymacx86 sites for a load of info. Not for the faint of heart and you need to have a decent knowledge of computers (which all can be gained on the web if you care to learn) :thumbsup:

7. elliotttate

elliotttate Newbie

Check out http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac
    for some of the best hardware to use, and the rest of the site for some of the best tools. By having a compatible motherboard, I was able to OSX in about 30 minutes with only a couple clicks of the mouse. I did it a little differently (I put the hard drive in a real mac and installed Lion. Then, right before I shut it down, I ran the quick little Multibeast installer). When I put the harddrive back in the Hackintosh, everything booted up as if it were a real mac and haven't had a problem since.

8. redback

redback Newbie

Seems like a complete waste of time and effort in your case . . . don't change you whole setup based around what some friends said you 'should' use, it's just another thing that will get in the way of what you should be doing: making music.

OSX and Win7 are both fantastic operating systems, if you are focused on making music they'll both support you beautifully in that purpose . . the only thing that will bog down either operating system is blatant user error. If you absolutely insist on wasting your time with it you can grab all the info from here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The ONLY reason I can think of that's justified is if you absolutely must run Logic or the cracked Protools 9 and don't want to buy the overpriced apple hardware . . . I built a hackintosh just for this purpose but I absolutely needed to open Protools projects . . . it doesn't sound like you've used Logic (?) so that's another thing that will completely slow you down; getting used to a new DAW.

Basically what I'm saying is it's really not about the operating system or the software you use, it's about how you use it and how well you know it and what you can get out of it. Amazing albums were made on computers 15 years ago on hardware/software that people today would consider junk . . . you could use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and you would get more music made than a lot of the audio software junkies that are constantly changing their setup and downloading new DAWs and plugins . . .

/rant

DISCLAIMER: I absolutely do not recommend that you use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 *no*

9. remix

remix Platinum Record

a lot of sense spoken here....

10. lrsdscout

lrsdscout Newbie

I have been using a Hackintosh for almost four years, and have built about 50 of them for people. You need to spend a lot of time at osx86project.org/insanelymac.com researching how to build the most compatible system. If you build it right, you can just use a modified install DVD, like iAtkos L2 for a pretty easy install. The most common problems are from having too MODERN of a system, and there aren't Mac drivers for it yet. Other times the graphics, network or audio card don't work and requires some tweaking of kext files, which will be tricky if you aren't used to OSX. But once you get it working, it's as stable as any "normal" Mac, for a lot less money. However, the only advantages for an audio user are the ability to use cracked Protools 9 and Logic. If you are a Cubase, Ableton, Studio One user, I wouldn't bother with it. If you are a graphics person who does 2D or 3D animation, PC has more programs and better graphics card options by a mile.

First post! :)

11. djbigkraq

djbigkraq Newbie

I agree with both tomazzzi and redback. I have a hackintosh and it is beautiful (Core i7 oc'd 3.6Ghz, 6GB DDR3 Ram, Mbox Mini/ProjectMix i/o, x58 pro Asus Mobo, 8800 GTS 320 Video Card). But THEN I had to download ANOTHER 80GB of Samples for Logic Pro 9, Install Protools 9 (which was a pain) and then learn how to use them both (granted Logic Pro and FL Studio are brothers from another mother) when my mixing and production was 10x faster when I was using Reason, FL Studio for Production and Adobe Audition 3 & CS 5.5 to Master Audio. If you want to use/learn Logic, the just use FL Studio on PC. If you want to learn ProTools then get SONAR X1. The PC alternatives are just as great!