Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'PC' started by pnutbuttrjarz, Oct 9, 2022.

1. pnutbuttrjarz

pnutbuttrjarz Ultrasonic

Hey guys,

I have a pretty decent PC even though it is a few years old now. Never had any issues running heaps of cpu hungry plugins or heaps of tracks.
    PC was set up by a friend who put Win7 on it. It isn't genuine. Therefore has the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" on the bottom right of the screen. The PC is almost never connected to the net, so I have never bothered trying to make it "genuine".
    But with all these new applications no longer working on Win7, I was thinking of upgrading.
    But I would prefer NOT to do a fresh install.
    Is there a safe way of upgrading to Win10 from a non-legit version of Win7 keeping all of my current files and programs intact?
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

3. Xenon

Xenon Producer

I highly recommend to look on the website of "team os". Just google it. You will find it quick. Good luck!:mates:

4. Ozmosis

Ozmosis Producer

Pretty sure you could just use KMSpico activator for windows and then update to Win10, with a Win10 ISO if online update doesn't work (there is a utility which downloads OS ISO's from MS but cant remember its name, would save grabbing a scene ISO). If you also want to migrate to new mobo Paragon Disk manager can do OS migration very well (ie removes all drivers etc.) since simply moving OS disk to new mobo can be problematic, especially if the move is from AMD to intel, or different drivers for mobo. First rule of update, create back up clone of OS first, not all of my win7-10 updates have gone smoothly, some ive been able to roll back and a couple left me with no way back and I needed to reinstall (fortunately not much on that comp so not a massive task), which we all know is laborious and sucks big kahunas =)

5. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I think so, but I always did clean installs as the test I did on upgrades didn't end very well.

I tried several Win10 "lite" versions, the liter seems to be AtlasOS

Edit: you can try to do a whole system backup with Macrium, Acronis, Paragon, or whatever, then try in anyway an upgrade. If it fails, restore the whole thing.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I'd suggest take some time to sort everything, and do clean installation to Windows 11. 10 is not as stable as 11. It feels that way, I remember I had too many problem with a lot of stuff when using warez and none of them happen on 11.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The first thing I would do is back up all the important files. The best way to do this is to burn your important files to a
    DVD or back them up to a second hard drive or a large USB stick. At https://mega.io/start you get 20 GB free traffic.

There are also activation keys of Windows 10, which you can get online for about 10-25 dollars.
    https://softwarekey.shop/product-category/betriebssysteme/windows-11/

8. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

And i have read the opposite people had no problems on 10 and got alot of problem when they switch to 11
    So its clearly what version you are on, and how your system is setup.
    If i ever decide to upgrade from win 7 it will be win 10 thats for sure as i know i can find versions on Team OS that is ready made and that has all those bloatware end spywares removed from start.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You will have to do a complete reinstall, all files will be deleted.
    So backup your important files before as described in the previous post. You can also take screenshots of your settings.

10. pnutbuttrjarz

pnutbuttrjarz Ultrasonic

Thanks. Great site :D

Activator worked. Thanks. But keeping motherboard and all hardware as is.

I have 4 HD's on the PC. I would only need to clone the system hard drive right?? I wouldn't need to backup the hard drives with libraries and recording sessions would I?

Would like to try my best to avoid a clean install. Would I be able to upgrade to Win11 if the upgrade to Win10 works?

Thanks for the link. I'll keep that in mind :)

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I recommend Windows 10, it is stable and most bugs are fixed. Besides, Windows 11 needs a newer mainboard, CPU etc.!

Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements and the PC Health Check app
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...tem-requirements-and-the-pc-health-check-app/

WhyNotWin11 - Windows 11 Kompatibilitäts-Test 2.5.0.3
    www.whynotwin11.com

12. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I'm also just about to go there. Too much stuff no longer works under Windows 7, I can't put the damn thing off any longer. I'm probably going to buy a new SSD -- the 256 GB of my current C: drive has started to be much too tight a squeeze, so I'll just buy a new drive and do a fresh install of Windows 10 onto that.

13. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

atleast mention which part of it you are disagree with @SHIHORON0118

It's weird to disagree with other's experience. Don't be a weird guy.

It's not my fault they don't know what they are doing. I did clean Win11 installation and had no weird problem as Windows Update deleting patched system file and plugin suddenly don't work, because it rarely updates itself. Liquidsonics plugins used to be unusable on Win10 because the patched system file silenty deleted, not anymore. Windows Defender is more responsive to your instruction when you exclude folders and not just delete file that it assumed as virus and always ask what to if it needs to do so. Boot time is 4 seconds with almost full 10TB harddisk (plus NAS server) attached. Windows Firewall completely turn itself off if you turn it off and use 3rd party firewall without ever automatically turn itself on or being annoying with warning. Gigabit network without ever packet loss because I stored Kontakt on the NAS, always crashed on Win 10 because of packet loss during buffering. Online gaming with 1ms ping. I never had any of those with Win10 with the same hardware setup, minus the new SSD because the old one failed.

Turning off windows update maybe a solution for some but I need to be uptodate because of other software needed it to be uptodate especially the online game stuff, or else the game security verification failed. Win10 was a fucking nightmare because of it and its frequent auto-update. I think it is already a year with Win11, no such thing happens. The OS still feel like as smooth as it is on day one, Windows are known for being slowed down by time, not Win 11, even boot time still the same.

14. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Says who? It does not read as an opinion but as a statement. Pardon. It is a statement.
    If you don't want to get a post disagreed, don't mix up facts and personal opinion.
    You shouldn't expect others to make an effort for a rationale in this case if you don't make an effort to distinguish it yourself.

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thanks @StevieDude for your personal experience report of Windows 11.

Windows is generally a notorious data collector, but for that there is Disk Cleanup, also you can stop Windows recovery by making a full backup of C./ with a third party product. An SSD brings the speed advantage. I am still with Windows 10 and everything runs great. It runs very stable and relatively fast. I also have Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall, If you want to install something just turn off the Defender before and after the install again.

The "Liquidsonics" problem I know very well - it was the only plugin what did not work from R2R. System 32 - R2R did not manage to do that. Remember to make a backup of your important files. It can always happen that the power fails or ransomware encrypts your PC.

16. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Says me. Been using WIN 11 since the final Developer's release until now. @BEAT16 can be the proof of that, because he was one of the earliest member here that posted about Windows 11 before its release and I already installed it. There's even a thread by him about it, the security feature, troubleshoot installation etc. Also I've used WIN10 since its released because I have a habit of updating to new OS on release so I can learn more about stuff.

I do it myself, not forming opinion from other's experience or reviews I've read online like you.

yeah listen to yourself, calling other's opinion and review you read online as a fact. Shame.

17. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

It works fine in WIN 11. I use it everyday, the Seventh Heaven. Win10 used to delete a patched dll file by R2R (rather, it replaces) in SysWOW folder everytime it updates itself even when you exclude it in Windows Defender. Doesn't happen on WIN 11.

for sure, but it gets slower by time, the more stuff you installed. Doesn't happen on WIN 11 after a year because WIN 11 has a feature of tracking your frequently used programs, folders and app and add it to its fast lane or some sort so it wont get slower.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thank you for this information.
    And you've learned something new again. That's good news.

19. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

so which version is recommended, 20h2, 21h2 ?

20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Windows 10: What is the current version?

Since mid-November, 21H2 is the current version. Updates for this and the still supported versions come monthly.
    The following versions are considered current.

21H2 / 21H1 / (20H2 Server): KB5017308 - Build: 19044.2006, 19043.2006, 19042.2006
    1809 (Long Term Servicing Channel): KB5017315 - Build: 17763.3406
    1607 (Long Term Servicing Channel): KB5017305 - Build: 14393.5356
    1507 (Long Term Servicing Channel): KB5017327 - Build: 10240.19444

Source: https://www.pc-magazin.de/ratgeber/windows-10-aktuelle-version-update-uebersicht-3200040.html

21. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

thanks.

looks like that team os site is a really greedy place, everything vip only @ 34 $$$

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List