Windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'PC' started by DJK, Jan 30, 2018.

1. DJK

DJK Rock Star

hi guys, i currentely run a custom built pc, nvida graphics card, intel extreme motherboard,i7 860 cpu,runnig win7, i had the pc built 8 years ago and runs ok,its 64bit, i would like to either upgrade my current pc to win 10, or get a new machine custom built with win 10, im just thinking that when microsoft stop supporting win7 then so will the devs, and might not be possible to install newer vsti plugins,so i would like to know your opinions on this matter, maybe get a new pc and put my ssd with win 7 in the new machine and do an in place win 10 upgrade keeping all my programs and settings and files, or would this cause problems? if im correct alot of the cracks use the motherboard as system id, so i guess i would have to authorize many plugs again, so in short, what is the best way to go, i know alot of you have gr8 knowledge of this subject, and look forward to some replys, many thx DJK

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

With all your programs installed on Windows 7, I think there may be compatibility problems with Windows 10. If it were me, I would not take the risk of losing everything. Moreover as you say, you will must reinstall all drivers for your motherboard and others that have already several years. If you're traveling for live or studio sessions, I advise you to buy a Laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled (or not) and reinstall what you really need for the composition. I mean by that, it will only dedicated to music. No way to surf with it.

I'm sure you use only 10% of what you have installed to work. Effects, VST, Libraries ... :)

Many musicians often have both. A tower and a laptop.
    Best configuration is with an Intel Core i7 (8th generation) and 12 Gb of RAM.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2018
  4. DJK

DJK Rock Star

yer correct, i guess to much collecting stuff i do not use, time to clean up a bit, my win 7 pc is fine, im just thinking further down the road, i suppose i can keep the win 7 for my music production, then slowely install things on a new machine and only what i really use, thx

5. Blorg

Blorg Producer

6. Bandit

Bandit Producer

I upgraded pretty soon after win10 came out, this gave a reason to also seriously clean up. But I never had an issue and it all runs as smooth as f%^&!

7. kintozero

kintozero Kapellmeister

Don't upgrade. You will find that some of your favorite plugins don't work on Win10 unless you find new versions of them. And if they're no longer being updated? You're out of luck. Just get a second machine. Go with what an earlier poster suggested: get a new laptop/keep your old machine running win7.

8. DJ Megadope

DJ Megadope Newbie

I'm looking to upgrade too BUT

I've heard that the "automatic updates" of Windows 10 tends to mess up peoples DAWs and Plugin's atleast once a month because you have no choice , it just updates automatically and wrecks havoc on the system.