Windows 7 Superlite Installation error: Device driver is missing!

Discussion in 'PC' started by cheeseman909, May 10, 2024.

1. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

Just trying to install some lite versions like "Windows 7 Super Lite.iso" from USB-Stick, but between the start of the installation a Window appears "Load driver" with the message:
    "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. Please insert DVD/USB pen to load driver...."

If I click on "Browse", he shows drive C, D and X, but all are only virtual and no local pen drive.
    Even if I plug in a different usb pen.
    My laptop is an old one: Dell latitude E5470 and should work with this kind of Windows.
    On the dell homepage is written, you have to use a "Dell OEM Windows 7 Professional ISO-Image".
    But this is not what I want.
    Putting some USB 3.0 drivers on the usb-stick doesn help, because he don't show the content of the inserted usb pen.
    Any ideas?

3. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

A critical Windows driver part of the core functionality has been removed from the image. My guess is HDD drivers that Windows uses. The person who made this light build probably didn't know what he was doing. If I was you, I would just dump this build and look for another build by different author.

4. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

just checked 2 different iso's, but same error. Which iso could have enough drivers for this situations?

5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Agree that I'd look for something else, but it's probably not the ISO's fault. I don't think OG Windows 7 came with support for NVMe or USB3. Maybe slipstreaming those drivers / updates into the image would help.

6. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

how to integrate into an .iso file?

7. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

@xorome You are wrong, I managed to manipulate the Windows 7 ISO in this way, that it boots from USB and detects NVMe drives and USB 3.1.
    I replaced the installer in ISO WIN7 with the one from Windows 10 :hifive:

8. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

Have you looked into using Unetbootin for any of this? You basically are using a flash drive for the bootloader and the OS, which is loaded into RAM. It is one of the best tiny little utility programs ever. Once you are booted to the OS running in RAM, you have full access to the hard disks. It is about as good when the machine you are working on ins totally screwed, as Hirens was. https://unetbootin.github.io

i'm no longer a windows user, at all. just something you could maybe look into using for stuff like this.

10. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

11. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

I had a bitch of a time loading windows 7 from usb stick even with factory iso images from dell and hp, had to work out that usb 3 driver issue. Saved the usb sticks in case i need to reinstall, it was such a pain in the ass took me like 2 days to do what i could have done in 45 minutes with a cd drive. but once it started sucessfully, it did install prety fast.....

12. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Is the USB key FAT32 formatted? In past I had a problem with that. I mean, it had to be FAT32.