Windows 7 RAM problem?

Discussion in 'PC' started by barah sherlock, Aug 13, 2017.

1. barah sherlock

barah sherlock Noisemaker

Hi forum, I've been trying to fix this problem for a while but I couldn't find any solutions yet.

So when I turn my PC on the ram starts at 1.70GB, for running absolutely nothing.
    I've heard the best way is to just format the PC, but is there another alternative to that?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Could you post you pc specs (RAM, CPU etc), please?

A screenshot like the one below could be useful...
    upload_2017-8-13_11-22-29.png

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

No, if you want to know what actually consumes that much memory, you better download process monitor from MS, list all processes and sort by the "Working set" memory column, to see what processes eat up your memory.
    If you don't know what the processes do, post a screen shot of the sorted list here if you like.

5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@barah sherlock:
    Without a need to download something, just available ressources:
    1. Search for "systeminfo". Start the system info utility. You can either save it as a file and post it here or you can make a hardcopy and post it.
    2. Search for "ressoucemonitor" and start the utility. Show Register Card "System Memory (RAM)". You'll get a list you can order by "Working Set" top down. Make a hardcopy and post it here.

This way we could see, what the problem may be.

(If any. For instance, my PC consumes freshly started ~3GB of RAM. But that's no problem, because I'm on x64 with 64 GB of RAM.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. stoiximan

stoiximan Platinum Record

Had a similar problem and it was windows update for me .Go to services and disable it also disable win defender.

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

My W7x64 consumes only a bit more than 300MB when freshly started. Just sayin... :wink:
    My XP consumes around 70MB.

It''s the lack of tons of background processes [services like printer spooler and remote connection], antiviruses, anti-malware and other completely unnecessary things for a music-production workstation.

8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@SineWave : Fine, but that most likely is an Audio only PC and Win 7 as you said.
    If one doesn't want or could not afford a machine for every single purpose, the memory footprint will be much greater, I think.

My solution is dropping unneeded apps and services once I start working with audio. Using a batch.

And of course no A/V, no Cortana and similar crap. Memory footprint will be around 400-500MB on Windows 10 x64. This way no audio problems at all, although multipurpose machine.

(while I'm writing this, Firefox alone is consuming 1,2 GB of RAM! WTF it's just a browser!)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

install "Advance system care" startup manager and boost
    Also you can use msconfig.exe

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Autoruns is better than msconfig for cleaning the unnecessary background programs. You can disable all kinds of stupid things with it. Masses of programs don't need to be started at all times and you can just start them when needed with a shortcut. I still don't get why all these programs have to be started at all times. Even the mixer app for your audio card. Just make a shortcut to it. :wink: Windows is not really great with multitasking when it comes to low-latency processing. The more background tasks you have, the more latency you will get. Some people are not bothered with having only 128 [example] latency and that's alright... I am.

11. G String

G String Rock Star

What does that even mean?

When I mount my Alapaca I get a vibrancy reading of 12.2

Amazing?

Cute though?

[​IMG]

I get a bonus 3 Troll Points for this post.

[​IMG]

If you can't delete your own posts, make sure the Mods will do it for you.

12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

You are right. Says nothing without context :no:

13. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

14. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

could you show us a model of batch you use? :) it's interesting, thanks.

15. Oimsio

Oimsio Ultrasonic

if it helps , I use a small freeware mem reduc, it works well easy parameters windows 32 and 64
    and no incidence on the process of the softs dedicated to audio.

16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

In my extensive experience using more apps to cut down on memory usage is... Counter productive.

I mean... just think about it. You want to free memory... by running another app?! :rofl:

No additional apps needed, trust me. And all the apps that promise you "faster Windows" are generally snake oil or do very little. Especially ones that add another icon to your sys-tray. You don't want that.

17. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

When I use chrome it uses all of my memory. YT vids at 1080 buffer with 90Mb down?!?!?! When the fuk is google going to patch the memory leaks? This is even with all extensions disabled.
    Off topic but this thread is derailed already.....

18. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

"So when I turn my PC on the ram starts at 1.70GB, for running absolutely nothing."
    yes that is a common windows behaviour, you may try to waste half year going through every process and service and save couple hundreds MBs, but then you may run into problems certain things will behave weird or not at all

19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's not a common behaviour of Windows 7 that I installed. They never use more than around 500 MB when freshly booted, but alas when non-technical people start installing all the apps they like, systray starts to bulge and the memory use goes steadily up. Then I come and remove them from auto-start and make shortcuts on the desktop for those apps. I also get rid of all the more or less harmless malware in the process... [search bars usually]. :)

However, those smart ones who don't have their audio workstation connected to the Internet have always much cleaner and faster PCs, with less crap on it. Working almost as good as on the day that I installed it. :wink: That's why I'm a firm believer in segregation. At least have a VM OS for browsing if you hate dual booting.

People say they don't care about so many processes running in the background, but I can tell you they *do* care when they start hearing crackles at 50% CPU usage. I always tell them there is no OS that can take so many background processes and still work great. :(

20. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@SineWave, which services and apps do you recommend shutting down for a dedicated audio workstation that doesn't connect to the internet? I think with the assistance of google, I can determine the syntax required to create a batch file. This is a great suggestion, btw!

21. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Running misconfig and booting your computer into selective startup is not the best way things. I would use it to configure your startup programs, though.

You can view all your running services with services.msc then disabling specific ones or setting to manual.

Old but useful:
    http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...dows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Scroll down and take a look at the individual services and what they do for you. You'll get an idea of whether you need it running or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List