Windows 7 or 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by jefft, Jan 22, 2019.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

I would also like to add, in my experience with windows over many versions that today with regularly modern gear, there is not any need to disable anything from a performance point of view, on a modern system it works perfect. any adjustments are just marginal if any at all. you can have messenger, skype, games, and all bells and whistles without even noticing an effect on performance, those days are over.

now, the telemetry etc that is another discussion.

2. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

@EddieXx yeah, but you know those, who get harddicks by saving 12 kb memory here and there.. its an improvement, but how does it in real life affect

3. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

next level stuff:wink:

4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

you 100% sure ? win firewall can fraud you bout telemetries

5. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

canada or new zealand

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Wait and see after awhile you wished you had Windows 10 on both. That being said Windows 7 enthusiasts pretends their system is more stable because they never update and compare that to the firsts versions of Windows 10 or some update of it that went wrong. This is a false premise because the first versions of Windows 7 (of course) also had bugs, and some updates of Windows 7 had issues. When it comes to audio it will always be some risk involved when you update regardless of which OS you use. That is why you either make a clone or a image of your system...And of course if you have a stable system on Windows 10 and only use it for audio turn of the damn updates. In professional version no problem, in other versions you have to do some hack in the regedit.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  7. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

There actually is something like that, but it's been in Alpha since 1996. It's called ReactOS, is open source, and hopefully one day it will be full featured enough to run everything you would want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

8. jefft

jefft Producer

Thanks for all your input, I've spent most of the day setting up Win 10. Surprisingly I connected the win 7 pc to the internet, and downloaded the " still available" free upgrade to to Win10. As of now I appear to have a stable OS., a few tweaks here and there, but Friday will be the big test, when I start adding my audio stuff. Big thanks to all.

9. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

what you mean by "w7 seems to be corrupted" ? we can try fix that!

oh i see it's too late...

10. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Are you sure you just download the free upgrade to to Win10?

11. jefft

jefft Producer

The problem with win 7 was the inability to Make a disk image backup. I tried just about every trick in the book, it appears that a reserve section of the hard drive that's used to shadow windows during the back up was corrupt. The only way of solving it was to reformat the drive and start again, so at that point it was decision time. And yes I visited: https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
    This gave me the tool to download an upgrade to win 10, using the original but faulty Win 7 installation, took about an hour for a clean install, I connected to the internet, and it registered it....wow

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's not about saving memory, but saving CPU cycles for audio processing and better low latency performance. Because Windows kernel is not capable of true multi-tasking. So computation is a serial process, but it can look like the CPU is capable of doing multiple things in parallel because the computational threads change very fast, and we have multi-core CPUs these days, so some parallel processing is possible. :)

You never need to do any, or much, optimisations for a Internet and multimedia PC, but for professional audio and/or video workstation it is necessary, or at least recommended. One of the reasons = time is money. Less bloat = less problems, less maintenance. :wink: Nobody is saying any Windows *can't* be used for audio without any optimisations "out of the box", but it is *recommendable*, especially if you're making money with it. In other words it depends on how serious you are about it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

What do you mean "can't make a disk image backup"? Haven't you ever used programs like Acronis True Image, Clonezilla, DriveimageXML, Symantec Ghost...etc?

14. jefft

jefft Producer

It must be my "Be Tidy" attitude..lol. I have always used Windows Disk Image in the past, and its always worked without the need for 3rd party software, Im of the old school where I don't like to add extra software as a workaround, where Win 7 should work. My old Win 7 was playing up, so it came to a point of having to either re install or upgrade. My studio PC is dedicated purely for music software, windows in itself contains too much bloatware, so adding Imaging software just adds to the mess.
    Thanks once again for all your input.

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

In this case, it is not additional software. And I really get what you mean, cause adding bloat upon bloat is not the way to resolve bloat. :rofl:

This software I mentioned is started from external media like USB flash drive, or a DVD. That's the best way to make an image of the OS partition [and to clean a virus also]. If you're unfamiliar with that procedure I would recommend you to try Acronis True Image since it is the easiest to use of all I mentioned.

I hope everything works out well for you, jefft! Cheers! :wink:

16. DJK

DJK Rock Star

if you have win 7 you can upgrade to 10 with 7 key

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. akashaman

akashaman Guest

18. jefft

jefft Producer

In the studio I have three hard drives C:, D:and E:, I make a weekly image backup of the C: drive onto the D: drive, hence needing a decent image program. The E drive is purely a streaming drive for my sample library. Then I back up both the D and E drive up to an external hard drive every couple of months. I also store all programs , Apps, and sessions to DVD's... am I being too paranoid here...Lol. so now I think I may install a sandbox on my new Win 10 and also Ultimate Windows Tweaker, then see how it goes. Tomorrow I start installing my music software so watch this space, thanks for your input.

19. jefft

jefft Producer

Lol... unless Bill Gates, has a ladder going up to my loft, and some of Harry Potters magic wands . How the hell can he spy on a computer that has no internet connection, as the connection was removed after installing win 10, if I need access to the net, I have a USB WiFi lead to connect to the router, but that would only be used in emergencies, and Im about to install a sandbox and also Ultimate Windows Tweaker, which should get rid of any spy related stuff....fingers crossed, thanks for your input.

20. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I concur thanks for the informing uses we are not nuts to hate win 10 it's just more problematic.