Windows 7 Lite - excellent for audio

Discussion in 'PC' started by Andrew, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Hi there, me again :grooves:
    I wanted to inform you that there is very stable, reliable and unbelievably small version of Windows 7 SP1 lite floating around. I am using it every day for making music and it's simply EXCELLENT. Not only it's super fast, it occupies just 2.85GB of space.
    There are some things missing, but none of them affects audio production in any way.
    So far I have come across only three drawbacks:
    • Wi-Fi profiles are not visible in explorer
    • Some DirectX games won't work (reason unknown)
    • Component management in Programs and Features does not work
    Windows Update DOES work in offline mode.
    And it comes with IE 9 too.
    So if you wanted super small and stable system, you just found it. I forgot to mention, it's 64bit (and 32bit as well)
    Even though I cannot link on it from here, if you enter "windows 7 lite x86 x64" on Pirate Bay, you'll find a torrent by hemu.moto. And that's it.
    Lastly, I don't profit in any way from telling you this, I am not the author so credits goes to uploader and Microsoft as well, it's just occured to me that it might be useful for someone.
    That version is 100% tested by me and 100% bloat-free, if you have any questions, fell free to ask.

BTW, this is the Windows, I'd recommend installing on your new machine, Catalyst :mates:

(I just hope such topic is allowed :thumbsup: )

3. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

works very well on low spec machines :wink:

4. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Problem is, you never know about root kits and security issues with those stripped versions, so it's always better to strip it down yourself.

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

There is no virus inside it as far as I know. Tested it with Dr. Web, Malwarebytes and NOD32. :wink:
    Plus windows updates work on it.
    I would not recommend something I haven't checked before. Been using it since January 2013 and everything OK.
    Also it works on high-spec machines :rofl:

In addition, I assumed that the system will be used exclusively offline, which minimizes the security risk considerably

6. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

I remember buying windows7 home edition when it first came out, bought it direct from MS, downloaded and installed it, first software I installed after was the anti virus stuff, did a full scan, malware found :wow:

Removed the offending items and then downloaded (from the darkside) and installed the top version with absolutely no problems with spyware/malware/rootkits etc etc :wink:

7. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

The malware it found was the OS itself :rofl:

(or maybe the included NSA-report tool :wow: )

@ Andrew

Thank you for this info.
    Is there somewhere a list that shows what exactly has been removed from this version?

8. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

stuff like aero etc, I'm pretty sure there is a list, remember seeing it somewhere, I'm sure google will find it :wink:

9. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

From the torrent description:
    Code:
    What has been removed:

All the languages except English (keyboards layouts are intact). *Language Packs cannot be installed*.

Drivers -> video cards, modems, printers, scanners, TV tunners, fax machines, some storage controller.

Following gadgets are not here -> Currency, MediaCenter, PicturePuzzle, RSSFeeds, SlideShow & Weather.

All the games -> card games, Chess, Mahjong, Backgammon, Checkers, Spades, Minesweeper & Purble Place.

Hardware support for the following devices -> iSCSI devices, Microsoft Multi-Path Bus and Smart cards.

Multimedia -> Media Center, music and video samples, except these needed for Windows Experience Index,
    all sample pictures, all screensavers, all sounds, all the desktop themes except the default aero one.

Network -> Internet Information Services, Remote Desktop & Assistance (Remote Desktop Connection here)
    RIP Listener, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Telnet Client, Telnet Server and TFTP Client.
    Services -> Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC), Error Reporting service, Offline Files, Quality
    Windows Audio Video Experience, Windows Search (Indexing service only but not built-in search option).

System -> most of Tablet PC components, BitLocker Drive Encryption, Manual Install and Upgrade option,
    Help, Windows Easy Transfer, Sync Center, Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA), Welcome Center,
    Windows Defender, Accessibility, Speech Support & Narrator, Windows Journal, Migwizard, Microsoft IME,
    Jet Database Engine, Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ), Parental Controls, System Recovery disc creation,
    Natural Language, Microsoft Client for NFS, Software Quality Management, built CD/DVD burning support.	
    BTW: Avoid nileshtambe lites, they does not work properly (stability issues)

10. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Andrew beat me to it :thumbsup:

11. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Thanks Andrew.
    I'm a mac user, but once in a blue moon I leave the dark side and fire up a virtual windows so this looks very interesting.
    Good looking out :wink:

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Oi, is this SP1 by any chance if you happen to know that?

Edit: it is. :wink:

This is great! I've been using "lite" version of XP for about a decade now.

13. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Yes, this is SP1.
    I wrote you PM about it some time ago and possible issues with XP 64bit. Hope you can read it some day :mates:

14. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

As I don't do torrents for security reasons hopefully that thing sometimes will pop up at the sister site, like to test it in a virtual environment.

15. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Andrew - thanks.

Do you use the x86 or x64 version?

"So far I have come across only three drawbacks:
    Wi-Fi profiles are not visible in explorer
    Some DirectX games won't work (reason unknown)
    Component management in Programs and Features does not work"

- can you explain why these would be 'drawbacks' for DAW use?

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I installed this Win7 x64 lite just a few days ago as my second OS.

It works quite well, but I don't have patience to update offline. If this is not a problem I recommend it.

17. lukie

lukie Newbie

Nlite good for doing just that and you can put all your drivers in as well to make your own personal copy

18. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

It is not a problem for audio production, I only pointed those drawbacks should someone use it differently :thumbsup:

I use 64bit.

19. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Hey DokX, check your PM.

20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Agreed. In fact, this Lite version list of changes could be a good guide to start with.

21. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

made my own Win7 lite:

removed Components like IE, WMP, etc

disbaled services like update, tablet stuff, crypto service, good 20 services are disabled here - only the most useful one to work on a daily basis for my job, production and the other hobby.

installed a Win7 SP1 x64 Enterprise all upgrades until May 2013. boots up in good 40 secs which is pretty good for an almost 5 years old notebook.
    the desktop is similar configured and boots up in 20 secs, w/o SSD - i assume it would go faster that.

keep your autostart folder clean - i have there f.lux, Mousepad toolkit and peerblock and a feedreader.
    you can adjust this over RUN and entering msconfig - autostart!

PS: most programs are not installed, to avoid useless regkeys in the registry - like for example Ableton 9.1 - i can move it around on the HDD how i like.
    this really helps to keep your machine smooth running.
    another point is to avoid any useless services like Tuneup, java upgrade, etc and also no Spyware protection and Antivirus.