Windows 7 Conflict with Push 2, USB2 Interface, Windows Platform Update

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Cav Emp, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Hi folks,

I've been putzing around with my new PC for about a week now, wrestling with this maddening issue that I just cannot seem to get everything working at the same time.

So here's my deal: after two OS installs I finally decided to install everything one at a time, making restore points along the way, and figure out what is causing my Ableton Push and Mackie interface to stop working. I had the two of them running together on a fresh Win 7 install when I tried to install studio one 3 and it told me I needed the Platform Update for Windows 7. So I install the update, and when I restart my computer it's no longer reading my interface. Now, I open Ableton to check that the Push is working because that's been the recurring problem in my last two installs. Push is okay. I unplug my interface, which is currently in a USB3 port and plug it into a USB2 port. Windows recognizes it, drivers installed, voila. But now Push 2 won't initialize. So what I seem to be getting here is some kind of conflict where Windows doesn't want to give power to my two USB2 ports.

If I e-mail Ableton support it'll take them three days to respond, and they're not half as sharp as most of you guys. I'd greatly appreciate some help

3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Hey Cav.
    Did you install your mobo chipset drivers and your usb3 drivers ?

4. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Hi again Talmi. Yeah I installed all that stuff

5. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

in worst case try a hardware fix like powering your maknpush from their power inputs or powered usb hubs

usb3 gives more power then usb2

6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Uhm . But is there a configuration where they are both powered at the same time, like with the two on a USB3 port ? Have you tried unplugging all others usb devices and just those two plug in ? Sometimes a USB Hub can screw everything up...

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

lol. Man I've tried everything a dummy like me can come up with. Several times.
    edit: I do have the Push running from its power adapter as well. and it just wont communicate from USB3 after the update.

They both work if I keep the interface plugged into USB3... until I install the platform update. Then everything goes to hell. Both Push and the interface will only run on USB2 and they can't seem to share a hub. Furthermore, once the post-update windows installs new drivers to the USB2 port (why it needs to i have no idea) Push 2 won't initialize from the USB2 ports at all, even when the interface is unplugged. Something about the installation of the drivers post-update interferes with Push's communication with Windows 7.

Right now I'm just finishing up installing all my plugins. Then I'm gonna make a system restore point and an image so if the update messes things up again, I'll just turn the clock back again and again as much as necessary.

8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Best Answer
    It's weird. The platform update (it's the KB2670838) is important, from SP1 it's one that is needed for many plugins, it's one of the few that is normally needed, for example I can't run Geist2 without it. I uninstalled it once, everything went to hell. It includes : Direct2D, DirectWrite, Direct3D, Windows Imaging Component (WIC), Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP), Windows Animation Manager (WAM), XPS Document, APIH.264 Video Decoder, JPEG XR codec.
    I can't really determine what in these would do that. Have you done other windows updates, maybe amongs the important or security ones, one is needed. Maybe first do the security updates (you can use wsus offline for that, and then apply Never10 to not be bothered with the windows 10 forced upgrade), and then check in the important/optional updates if one could fix this, sometimes there are drivers in there too. Try to do a backup between each of these stages to be able to come backward if needed.

Edit : And I also just thought, have you checked in your bios that everything is rightfully configured regarding USB2/3 ?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I really haven't done any updates at all yet. Just driver stuff that I downloaded and installed myself. MS (i believe deliberately) stalls Win 7 search for updates, so you can leave it running for hours and not get anywhere. So I'm still waiting on that one. I just downloaded the platform update from MS official website because it was needed for studio one :dunno:

10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

That's also why I use wsus offline, it goes straight to windows server and it doesn't make you wait at all, plus the update procedure is much faster too. You don't even have to open windows update for the security updates, I also have those waiting times when I do it's done on purpose by these M$ morons for W7 users. For the optional/important updates though after there is no way around windows update. Well except going on M$ site to dl them, but then you have to know which ones you need.

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I got it working by reinstalling Asus's USB Host Controller after installing the Windows update :dunno:

@Talmi I Best Answer'd your post so it will show as solved and people won't show up and waste their efforts on trying to help. I have taken full advantage of the awesome good will of AS lately. Hopefully this is it and I can stop bugging everyone for help now :)

12. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Cheers, @Cav Emp , I'm glad you solved that. The update might have messed with your drivers, reinstalling them may have put things back in order. And these posts are usefull, lot of people, me included, run into such problems, it's good to find answers somewhere. It's good we can all help each other out.

13. solution to your problem is win 10.
    win 7 it's old already. these bullshit happens sometimes man :thumbsup: hopefully you will find a solution