Windows 7 - 32 bit (x32) or 64 bit (x64) ?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Dalmation, May 9, 2012.

1. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

I never said it was going away, its just reaching its limits of core efficency.

A single 32bit core now is not much faster then a one of last year.
    a 64bit processing core of now is faster then both a 32bit core of now and the 64bit cores of last year.

What do you want from the companies? Faster cores or more of them?

I like processor cores getting faster, so I back them researching 64bit advancements.
    Since more cores is your thing its no wonder you like that AMD is keeping with advanceing the multi-core 32bit chips.

I feel the need to say I don't work for ether company, I learned my stuff studying electrical/electronic engeneering and rebuilding PC's from ones I got out of bins. My willingness to admit facts like that is why I use this user name since I got the inter net when I was 10 back in 1999 and not my real name.

The fact I made £30 from every PC I rebuilt from a Broken one in a bin is not something I'd like to be assoseated with in the real world

(an interesting fact about processors is only 1 intel model was ever broke in the bined machines. this was the newest of the Pentium 4. Almost every single AMD Athlon processor was broken but thats just an observation of PC's that I collected that where throwen out)

and I still don't get how this is helping someone decide the best opperating system for them? It's processor stuff

Going back to what oisinn said "WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE IN STAYING ON XP?" There isn't one, but there isn't a reason for leaveing. It's all a question of whars more compatible with what your gonna use it for.

2. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

LOL that sounds like my PC tech, I hear those "dumpster diving stories" all the damn time LOL. Seems you guys need to trade some stories hehehehe.

About the AMD thing, I am curious as to why they are pushing a 16 core x86 processor?

And I think cores are not the answer and it's quite obvious from the lack of software that can take advantage of all the cores. Well until recently not many apps could support multiple cores.

I just wished people would stop thinking that x86 has ram limits as that is false. It is only 32 bit apps that have memory limits, and not the OS itself.

No one has dared answer why microsoft limits ram on the windows 7 64 bit editions. It makes no damn sense at all.

And today there are a lot of Boards with PAE, in fact you just need to force the OS to use PAE and ignore any block and limits.

Servers use technology that does come down to us regular users sometimes.

Again not being a jackass but PAE enabled CPU's and machines ( windows NT, IRIX SGI stuff )was indeed used on the digital shots for the Titanic movie.

Again Intel delivered not a 64 bit processor but they did find a way to bypass the OS limit for Ram.

As we all know XP pro 64 bit was made to take advantage of the then new amd 64 bit processors in 2005 and not for Intel. It was only later that Intel licenced the 64 bit technology from AMD.
    I believe Intel had a hand in pushing Microsoft to drop XP 64bit.