Windows 11 upgrade?

Discussion in 'PC' started by shake_puig, Apr 30, 2022.

?

Have you upgraded?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

110 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I'm going to try to update from Windows 10 to Windows 11 while keeping apps and files. Of course it is "always" better with a fresh install but cannot see why upgrade should be such a problem. I gonna just clone my old system and if a upgrade does not "work" I just go back to my old system. Any reason why you strongly advice people not to upgrade?

2. headcaver

headcaver Noisemaker

unless your PC is compatible with W11, dont bother.
    If you have new hardware, which passes the compatibility test, then definately.

3. MFSAKA

MFSAKA Ultrasonic

Win 10 for now
    I try 11 - and it's a hell.

I personally think whole MS products are satanic toys and dead end of evolution.
    Nothing in the computer world destroy my nerve system more than Microsoft.

MacOs is for rich faggots. I try on Apple computers and Hackintosh - i hate MacOS logic and approach.
    Plus a lot less software than on Windows (i personally can't live without Total Commander and many small programs that WIN only)
    Definitely not my thing!

Linux - is for masochist's.
    I try many distributive's (from Ubuntu to Arch) and always something goes wrong!
    Some important soft don't work with Wine/Crossfire or it's install and lagging AF.
    That's not Linux fault.
    This is money hungry software developers thing.

If everything will works on Linux - hell mudufuck yes! I will run Linux only. BUT this will never happen.

4. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

If you're running a windows system (doesn't matter what version, although for bloat/spyware/telemetry win 8-11 have been the big winners in this category) for production that is - on the internet, running win update, running a/v, and have not had all of the bloat/spyware/ and telemetry running on them out of the box neutralized, it's only a matter of time before your production side will start crumbling before your very eyes. These are facts. If you decide for yourself that this is all some conspiracy theory. You believe that microsoft corporation would have no reason to spy on you or collect information about your computer usage. That the win update service could/would never undo your attempts at keeping yourself safe from the prying eyes of whoever is on the other end of that data collection. Then so be it. Just don't come crying when stuff starts breaking "for no reason at all"...

Also, if one has a platform which works for them there is NO reason to "fix it" if it ain't broke. There has to be a valid reason to move to a next higher OS version - like some hardware, or software deal breaker wherein you cannot adapt your old system because a solution doesn't exist (industry incurred obsolescence). It's a right bit of work whipping one of these newer systems into readiness for SAFE use as a platform for ANY application. Hence, most smart folks use caution before taking that step. Simply moving to the next version just because it's there is foolish and usually causes more problems than it's worth.

5. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

:rofl:
    This is delusion. If you think that amount of useless bloatware, spyware, telemetry and data collection present in win 10 had no bearing on the insane amount living in win 11 you have been enormously misinformed. The "tools" that work and leave some semblance of the workable OS intact require much more in manual depth user sleuthing to neutralize what they missed. And on the other side, the "tools", once applied, that go way beyond the pale of leaving a workable OS usually leave it broken as a productive tool for anything but running a game. I have run win 11 in a VM and have watched the "background" network connections, service and app usages, and seen what windows update does to a partially "optimized" machine when connected. The levels of useless network and background application chatter makes win 10 look like a walk in the park. I suggest taking a closer look at your win 11 install - I have found NO SINGLE TOOL or even groups of tools that properly do the job, all by themselves, of completely securing win 11 OR win 10 too for that matter and left a semi productive OS in their wake.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

How did you gut it?

7. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

A super techy guy I know. A friend.

There are several lite versions on the web. Tiny10/11, Ghost Spectre and others. My version is customized to my preferences and upgradable via the same friend. I was also there when the ISO was created so I don't have to feel paranoid.

BTW, you can make your own with apps like NTLite. There's plenty about that on YT.

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

sorry for digging an older thread,

now with Windows 11 23H2 major release, few thoughts:
    1) clean install is very snappy and usable so far (if you are even able to install it without MS account - Shift+F10 at network step, type OOBE/BYPASSNRO in command line, reboot, proceed)
    2) GhostSpectre build doesn't seem that much faster, although it does show less processes and less RAM used (will examine further)
    3) upgrade from previous Windows 11 leaves some schizophrenic things around, not recommended for best experience
    :chilling:

9. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

Too spinal Tap-ish! For me, 10 is enough.

10. JEPasCP1

JEPasCP1 Member

I just wanted Windows 11 to ripen more over the years, the first year updates feels more empty and forced than Windows 10, and I don't think it will be the purge of 32 bit apps, said to some articles I've read about Windows 11...

11. Sacculus

Sacculus Kapellmeister

I install win 11 because upgrading my PC for a i5-12400 and the 22h02 last edition is okay. Of course I don't care about telemetry and all this shit just because it's impossible to tweak Windows for privacy, so I simply swith to Ubuntu when needed or if even more boot on a Tails OS usb stick that also comes with persistent storage when Im really in need for Operational Security... that's it. And you don't loose your time by tweaking instead of making music.

For thos who want talking about security look at this guide> The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Online Anonymity | The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Online Anonymity (anonymousplanet.org)
    You will undertstand it's a life time job, so good chance my dear!

Don't be paranoid when using warez for audio because we're really really not top priority targets for FBI or others Law Enforcement Administrations ... believe me, they have tons of others things to do before looking at us.

I still remember an anectote from over 10 years ago. I was in a paranoiac psychotic episode and I turned up at my town's police station saying I wanted to report myself because I was using tons of gigabytes of pirated software and I thought the secret services were spying on me. The two inspectors in front of me looked me straight in the eye and replied that they didn't give a damn about that bullshit and told me to go home, otherwise they'd rather call their colleagues at the psychiatric hospital!

lol and keep it cool bro

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

My hardware is not compatible, and I installed Windows 11 anyway, it works without any problems on the third generation i5, you only need to know one trick :winker:
    [​IMG]

13. bwzrd

bwzrd Producer

I use the Ghost Spectre version of Win 11 with all the bloat taken out, it's really good for music production, I can definitely run at a lower buffer than the regular version of Windows

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List