Windows 11 upgrade?

Discussion in 'PC' started by shake_puig, Apr 30, 2022.

?

Have you upgraded?

1. Yes

63 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. Anubhav Ukil

Anubhav Ukil Producer

Some of the problems are disapperaing it seems.

2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It always depends on the situation you are in. I think it's nonsense to change a really well-functioning system with Windows 10.
    My systems work great with Win 10 and a few don't meet the hardware requirements for Win 11. So I will not update to Win 11 without strict need.
    Windows 12 casts its shadow ahead (2024/2025?). And as usual with MS, every second version is really good. So I'll wait until Windows 12 comes out. And it conforms well with Win 10 EOL (October 14, 2025).

https://www.slashgear.com/1220040/w...al-features-and-possible-release-date-window/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

update on the topic from me:
    upgrade = NO
    throw in second SSD and install W11 as a second option = sure, why not
    :chilling:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. muffball

muffball Kapellmeister

Now that Win11 has settled and Win10 has grown into a bloated monstrosity after all the spring and "fall" updates I can say that, with certainty for me, Windows 11 is the answer for CPU performance based tasks over all previous Windows versions with the following caveats:

You have a relatively new CPU with a fistful of P and E cores. Windows 11 handles them so much better (especially Intel 12th and 13th gen) - they've not bothered to give Win10 that same code. The new I9s are absurd in Win11 IF you can keep them cool (sub-caveat).

You are willing to install fresh. Do not upgrade.

You are either willing to go along with the dumbed down explorer OR install something else OR, better yet, take a couple of minutes to restore functionality to explorer. It's not that hard.

Debloat it. It comes with things like... tiktok and Instagram preinstalled along with a bunch of rubbish (WHY?!). It also comes with a bunch more telemetry. Google (or Bing :)) ThisisWin11 for the github project. It can automate most of this but I would suggest using your own judgement rather than their defaults.

IMO Windows 11 is the best performing creator's OS from MS (all arts) at this time with the above caveats in mind. All other cases... meh.

Is the amount of improvement worth the upgrade? Probably not given the hassle of a fresh install but, depending on your usage, you may be forced into Windows 11 eventually anyway. If you build a new machine, fresh, it's a no-brainer.

As a sidenote I was having trouble cooling the CPU as it can draw upwards of 250W easily but that's life with modern CPUs and is OS-agnostic. Undervolting (safe to do with Intels ITU and AMDs similar app that I forget the name of) and turning off ambitious motherboard default settings for CPU throttling on certain motherboards can drastically (I mean drastically) lower temperatures without loss of performance and can sometimes help improve performance since you can avoid hitting throttle marks with a lucky stable undervolt. This applies to all OS's obviously.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

I'd like to know if any of you uses Tiny 11 or Ghost Spectre as a Windows 11 install for your production work.

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Atlas Windows 11 is coming soon.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

:rofl:

Pardon me but I see just as many mac peeps (if not more) in here as windows peeps having issues with one thing or another. So that whole "solidity" thing is a pipe dream. Expose either platform to OEM crap-date services and the multitude of spyware and adware that goes into EITHER platform's OS's and you are guaranteed to have issues. As far as linux for media production goes, that's just a joke. Linux is a solid enough system, but NOT impervious to hacking, and certainly rather useless when it comes to media production due to the sheer lack of usable front line software.

As an adjunct, with regard to "hot upgrading" ANY microsoft OS - don't go there. It's playing russian roulette with your system and usually will end up breaking more stuff that it does "upgrading". If you must go to win 11 at least start with a solid base and build with a proper full version ISO image. Also everything about Windows 10 "optimizing" prior to placing ANY media production ware on the system goes TRIPLE for win 11. To be quite frank there is really NO good reason to go to win 11 at this point or any point in the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Just nuked a fresh windows 11 Pro install (ordered device from lenovo without OS, still came with win11 pro) and installed win10 Pro over it. (also deleted recovery).

Win10 just better, so much less bloatware in it.
    Deactivated Defender crap with a smile.

Have yet to decide with i will do with the TPM chip (hope i can disable it.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

TPM was the first thing to go on the new build with the UEFI firmware... :) Pulled the module on the board and disabled in UEFI. Then installed with a fresh 21H2 ISO image. The installer picked up on that fact the TPM was gone so as a result all the OS TPM junk came up disabled_n/a by default. Saved me the trouble of doing it myself. Although I did get a couple of "security errors" telling me I should enable/install TPM - that was quickly shut off... Like the fact of having a plugin module as opposed to a soldered in one. Pull the thing from the system and your sure it's gone. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  10. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

I have seperate computers for MacOS, Windows 11, and Linux. Keep in mind 3 important things before making the jump:
    1) Apple is the worst choice if you want stability with your current media tools. They update their OS every year, and it breaks things (especially music things) every time. This was the case before Apple Silicon, and should be the assumed case every year until their end is optimized (probably never). Sweetwater was been keeping track of this every time and the average wait has been 6 months for developers to catch up.

2) Linux is not as smooth at first. You may need to be familiar with the command line. Getting the system to run solid for music in the first place is a different issue depending on which flavor of Linux you start with. I prefer PopOS because it has great support for modern systems and Nvidia Cuda cards. Bitwig and U-he software work great on it. Audio drivers were the biggest challenge for me to get right... hours of tinkering so good luck with that.

3) Windows 11 may get buggy if you have a lot of software mods, but its ironically the most solid OS for the long run. The most tweaking I've done is setting folders to be ignored by virus scan, installing PowerToys, and using Folderico. I'm using recent CPUs on each rig (AMD 5900x desktop, Intel I12700H laptop). I don't think any other tweaks were necessary. Music and Video apps run solid, even on heavy load.

Coming from 10+ years of using mac exclusively, I realized that Apple's current trends are disruptive to creatives. Sure I can stay on the same OS, but then bugs start happening when syncing and transmitting with iOS devices...etc..etc. Just some experiences to consider.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I've Upgraded and then Downgraded to Win 10 again using Atlas.

12. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

some people here would still use xp

13. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

No issues with my MacBook Air. Have been slowly trying different Linux spins for quite some time. With the latest improvements to the main kernel, we should be seeing better stability/reliability for audio apps & plugins, along with improved hardware support.

Once Wayland, Gnome & Pipewire are completely baked, Fedora & Pop OS should be solid choices.

Unbuntu & Windows are just to risky at this point with the developers imposing broken feature sets on their user base. That's another discussion entirely.

14. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Yes. Some people have issues with macOS. Anytime I have had issues is when I was using cracked software. Updates are fine for me. The one thing that bugs me however, is the decision by Apple to pull support for Logic for certain model years & Intel CPU types. Very shitty.

Linux does have apps like Blender, DaVinci Resolve (free/Pro) & Kdenlive as examples for video & imaging.

Ardour, Bitwig, MixBus/MixBus 32C, Reaper & Waveform as examples for DAW.

15. DonaldTwain

DonaldTwain Kapellmeister

Upgraded from 10 as soon as the update was available and it's given me no problems with any DAW, software, plugin etc. Really don't understand refuseniks holding out. Software is updated all the time: get over it already.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Anytime I have ever run ANYthing on linux it was simply a lesson in futility. Too much noodling, prodding and poking to get something simple accomplished. I have actually tried bitwig and reaper and wasn't impressed with either of them... But, I guess in the end it really doesn't matter what your weapon of choice is - it's the final result that counts...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  17. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

i been having the developers version of windows 11 since 2021 its a developers version of it that got leaked and i got it like a month before the official final product version windows 11 came out
    it works perfect never had not even one problem with it ....and i make music and been gaming on it still haven't ran into any issues

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Very well said, it takes pretty much zero time to debloat it with the plethora of tools out there plus a little tinkering in GPEdit. Too many opinions on 11 are hinged on emotionally driven arguments and not anything concrete.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

People here hate to hear it but yeah Windows 11 is a perfectly stable (and performing, even on older non-supported hardware) OS for the overwhelming majority of people, there's just a lot of confirmation bias out there so people knee-jerk go with that because they don't like change.

20. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I took the plunge, but as I said in another post I'm using a gutted version of Windows. So zero bloat, no defender or anything else other than what's absolutely necessary, plus my DAW and a few plugins. I didn't even install a browser or even calculator, but I can if need be. It runs miles better than my previous full installation of Win10 Pro. That said, I did the same thing for Win10, well with the help of someone who knows their stuff, and I couldn't notice a difference in performance so I stuck with 11 for the aesthetic.

Put it this way, I read that Windows 11 Pro takes 18 - 27 GB, depending where you read it, of space on your disk when installed/up to date. I don't know if that's true because I personally have never installed a full version of Win11 but my gutted version takes up 4 GB installed. So if true, that's a lot of crap I'm doing without.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List