Windows 11 upgrade?

Discussion in 'PC' started by shake_puig, Apr 30, 2022.

?

Have you upgraded?

1. Yes

63 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Honestly, I run both MAC and PC.
    If both are setup correctly, audio editing, recording and DAW usage differences are non-existent other than ProTools which runs better on MAC.
    If someone said Realtime Video and graphics editing are superior on MAC I'd agree but even that gap is smaller than what it was ten years ago. Providing you run 64GB RAM or more, either is fine.
    A minimalistic Win 11 is superior to all of its Windows predecessors. If you run all the bloatware then you have more to deal with and it will be a dog.
    Nowadays Windows with a DAW and the FLS theoretically can handle more plugins than a MAC because of its threading.

If all anyone installs is their DAW and the plugins and music apps for editing and manipulation, either works fine. This is providing you delete everything else you do not need which goes for any system, including MAC. The more you install, the more the system has to deal with - any system and that's just common sense. Because the MAC GUI is basically built upon their version of Free BSD UNIX, the MAC is better for longer sessions without refreshing its cache than Windows. This said, that is because of the UNIX underneath it not because of Apples GUI.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

i was using win10 for 2 years(been on 8.1 before). tried 11 and went back to 10 in a day. just out of curiousity i tried win7 for a week then went back to 10 just for the feel. lemme tell ya i'm back on win7 for good it's that good. tweaks/tweakers i'm using: winaero tweaker, pegasun system utilities, Ultimate Windows Tweaker. snappy af

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

what has Atom to do with system stability? It is a atom issue, VSCode for example (and any other softeware I use) works like a charm on an ARM Chip and that totally quiet and cool.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  4. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

I have a question to the win11 users:
    Do you had Problems with your DAW or Plugins?

5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

None. Nada. No blue screens either. The apps start faster and everything is smoother. My version of Win 11 has next to nothing in it now. I deleted all the bloatware and disabled everything I did not need, all the telemetry and too much to list. Do once, reuse with ease many times. :)
    The system age and components someone uses affects this too. people will have different experiences, that's to be expected.

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

None whatsoever, all work great, including bridged 32bit plugins.

I had no problems with the normal Pro install, then switching to Insider beta 22H2 (Build 22621.1) made no difference on that front either.

7. mrfloyd

mrfloyd Producer

Is there a strip-down version of Windows 11 similar to Atlas OS of Win10 or Windows 10 LTSC 2021?
    If so has anybody here tried it?

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There are. Haven't tried myself but they should work fine. I use for instance a Windows 10 one and the same guy makes Windows 11 stripped/lite versions.

9. rafaelmanso

rafaelmanso Newbie

flawless to me. everything works great.

10. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Tom's Hardware site recommended waiting as Win 11 is still a work in progress and not quite finished.
    I usually listen to Tom's for objective tech advice.

11. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

being using wibdows 11 since the first leak and now the system works awesome

12. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

Microsoft said my lowly Win 10 Home Ryzen 5 laptop wouldn't be able to upgrade to Win 11. Hah. I fooled them. It's running 11 as we speak and it's working fine. I like it now especially because of the Windows Sandbox, Application Guard, protected root, etc. I also felt confident enough with Edge and Defender to not need an outside browser or antivirus.

LatencyMon registers a good read. The most important software add on was TinyWall. I wished Win 11's firewall was as easy and intuitive as that.

13. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

12gb of ram on start it's crappy! At least I have 64 gb.

14. Picofarad

Picofarad Member

Absolutely none. Everything run smooth

15. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

Win 11 definitely works better than Win 10. And not necessarily because it is a better OS, but because Microsoft "took care" of Win 10 to making it slow, buggy and heavy on the system, with every update, just to force people into upgrading to Win 11. :thumbsdown:

16. ocirn3

ocirn3 Newbie

...which IMHO still sucks. Much much better was Win7, but it simply doesn't install anymore on workstations powered by new Intel generations

17. aitken

aitken Ultrasonic

will do by 2025 when all what Im using is upgraded and stable, or a new computer separately that I can try and test but not the main computer of course. Tests are for dummies. Let it rest

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Dr Pablito

Dr Pablito Ultrasonic

I made the transition and after some changes to the registry to recover, among other things, the Win 10 context menu, I am quite satisfied with Win 11. Zero problems in music production. And I'm not one of those who spend hours debugging the system, deleting services, etc. In my opinion, having a powerful computer with lots of RAM eliminates the need to do this.

19. D#RK M#TT#RS

D#RK M#TT#RS Ultrasonic

Windows 11 is good, installed on gen4 nvme, never had any problem (crash, blue screen), without tweak. don't care about UI, telemetry or other technical things, so far smooth and stable.
    Music: Reaper, Studio One, Reason, Kontakt, bunch of libs and plugins
    Graphics/Video: Adobe software
    Browsing and gaming

20. Anubhav Ukil

Anubhav Ukil Producer

Entirely Untrue.
    I have a TR1950x (OC to 4.15, stable system) with 64 GB (3200MHz, c14 timing) and 960/970 Pro NVMes [And I will be buying a TR5995wx soon. I am saving a lot for that. Do I need that? Well, Hell No. But similarly most Music producers don't need those 56 core Mac pro as well. So why not?] and still I believe I don't want to spend a % of my ELECTRICITY and PROCESSING POWER in the name of BS Telemetry, unnecessary services BS, stuff that just hinders or obstructs basic serial audio processing (eg many service can cause issue with your audio driver, eg BLUETOOTH and that may just result in a DAW crash). So, I did delete those with my earlier system (which, when I bought, was somewhat top of the line). I WILL DELETE THOSE when I get the TR5995wx as well.
    I think, stability matters the most to me. (All though I know OS crash's main culprit a lot of the time is actually faulty or dancing or unclean electricity. I tackled that and now I have not seen OS crash in like 1 whole fucking year).

Also, my opinion would be NOW IS THE FUCKING TIME TO GET SOME Flex-able GPUs (just don't flex) because not a lot of people know about GPU Audio and based on their success curve and the way they are progressing, they will blow up the industry in a matter of few years and when that happens, GPU Prices are gonna go up like a fucking SpaceX rocket.