Windows 11 - The Audio Performance Thread

Discussion in 'PC' started by vuuru_keg, Jan 24, 2022.

?

How are your Windows 11 audio performance VS Windows 10?

1. Better

21 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. Worse

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Same (no difference)

31 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Slightly Better

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Slightly Worse

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. I want to wait to install windows 11

52 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

Hey all!
    So this is a reachout to all of you brave ones that updated to Windows 11 :bow:
    I've opened this thread for technical talk/details and hands-on experience sharing regarding Windows 11 for audio.
    Please avoid general statements and opinions without something to back it up, whether that be technical data, or your actual hands-on, day to day personal experience :)

- How are your performance regarding audio after updating? (VSTi-generators / VST-fx-mixing)
    - Are you using a custom build desktop, or a manufacturer's laptop?
    - Do drivers behave differently? Had any issues with drivers that haven't been fixed?
    - You'll be more than welcome to share any other details you have and think might be useful

I'm thinking of upgrading (not in the super-near future) and would like to document and test everything I can, before upgrading so I can share and provide technical, numerical details for other people as well

A video I came across that might be useful as well -
    Windows 11 - Up to 18% More Audio Performance than Win 10! - YouTube

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  3. lorens willmeth

lorens willmeth Member

for me is working perfectly all...daw,audio plugins..all..no crash at the mo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. ih8ms

ih8ms Ultrasonic

Windows 11 are working perfectly! No issues compared to W10 (been on W11 since the beta).

- Performance: The same
    - Custom build a desktop (8-series Intel I7)
    - The only thing I experienced was with my monitor's software. But that got updated in early December. For audio-related, everything is running as smoothly as with W10.
    - When it comes to performance, I have a very good custom-built PC, so have never really experienced some performance issues with Cubase 11 (W10/W11).

The only performance-related I have to report is actually the monitor software that causes huge lag in some seconds when it starts and it's unstable. That is not MS's fault, it's LG and their shitty software. The new design elements and such were somewhat strange at the start, but now I love them.

Cubase crashes when closing now and then, but that was the same in W10. Hopefully, Steinberg fixes that in C12. Experienced that even with a fresh install of Cubase 11 without any 3rd party VSTs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

i could go down to 64samples comfortably while i'm on 256 on win10. cs:go loading time is much longer so i'm back on w10

6. Laersen

Laersen Member

It's Ok for me. Cubase 11 Pro work perfectly with WINDOWS 11 Pro. All my plugings to. No problem with my soundcard driver's. (M-Audio M-Track Eeight)

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I added one one more poll option: I want to wait with windows 11.

Simply because i am pretty sure, a lot of people have seen videos on how stupid some of the things in windows 11 are. It always takes a while until these are fixed or workarounds are found.

I doubt the audio performance will be any better if not its the same performance.

What i do still think is that, there are still quite some bugs in windows 11. And in the course of a year these will be found or even fixed. (hopefully :D)

I have no problems with windows 10 so far, i dont have the latest version, i always staying a bit behind, because windows updates tend to screw with settings and performance, out of nowhere you see cpu spikes and i hate this death.

Is there already a guide on how to setup windows 11 for audio production?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Custom build desktop.
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, RME + audient interface, Studio one, Reaper, Cakewalk

AMD admitted performance problems with win 11 (not sure that's already patched), but I did not notice any performance difference to win 10. No driver problems at all.

Audio performance ...
    I did not make any scientific tests. For me, everything runs smoothly. I did not notice any performance differences in my projects.
    It feels like win 10.

the only thing I dislike is the GUI. But that's another topic. :rofl:

9. MINIGUNPUNK

MINIGUNPUNK Kapellmeister

A long time ago I put Windows 11 on real hardware, it was frustrating that there is no function Drag'n'drop through the taskbar, now it's 2022, tell me someone, they fixed this function?

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Offtopic i will put it in the spoiler:
    Yes i heard some GUI things are very poor and stupid done. Honestly i am fine with having the taskbar on the top and pin all the stuff on it. I dont understand why they removed that and made such a Apple like taskbar. It is unnecessary! If i wanted that i had bought something from Apple or build a hackintosh (is there already a CPU u can buy which runs like the M1?)
    Sounds like most of you have the same performance with windows 11? And no driver issues? I mean win11 isnt that much different from the perspective of the inner workings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. LoveToGig

LoveToGig Producer

When it comes to audio, the performance is virtually the same. But Windows 10 had better usability for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. luminosity

luminosity Ultrasonic

Just upgraded my system the last week.
    Was using a i7 7700k with 16GB of Ram (Hackintosh - Mojave).

Now im on Win 11 with no problems for me and it runs pretty smooth.
    No stutter or driver problems for me.

My Rig:
    CPU:i9 12900k @ 5.2 Ghz / 4.1 Ghz
    Board: Asus Maximus Hero z690
    RAM:32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36
    Interface: UAD Apollo Twin MK2 Solo

Using Ableton 11 <

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Whenever you install a new system and abandon the old one, make a track benchmark with your favourite rather complex project. That's how I figured Windows has become only worse with time.

Well, I've been making music with Atari, W95, W98... every version of Windows except 8 on. Since the results weren't good I just stopped upgrading Windows for audio. :( However, my very lite W7 is working more efficiently with demanding audio plugins like DSP56300 or Diva. My Linux is too much full of "stuff". If I built it with only audio in mind who knows what it would be like? I just love using Linux for daily work too much. :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

. There are software programmers who reinstall their Windows every year for Christmas. After that it runs faster again.

Windows is a notorious data collector
    If you care about data protection and the privacy of your data, you will have to make some adjustments, especially under Windows 10. In the long term, I recommend switching to a Linux system. Windows should only be used for those applications for which you have not yet found a viable alternative under Linux. However, if you want to stay loyal to Microsoft, you will have to put a lot of effort into protecting your privacy in the future.

Disk cleanup in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-8a96ff42-5751-39ad-23d6-434b4d5b9a68

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I waited serveral years before I switched to Win10 - from Win7.

I like a OS to be solid via updates before I throw myself into something new and untried.
    Can we not all agree that the operating system we are working on is the most essential when it comes to working with sound?

I do!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I didn't go to Windows 10 voluntarily either, like you I was a Windows 7 fan and happy with it. There was the Cypher VSTi from FXpansion and the minimum requirements were Windows 10. Again, the whole thing - reinstall everything and set it up.

Then the first disappointment after a Windows update - I had timeouts, could not believe that Microsoft is such a botch store. After some time they had also fixed it and apparently my system now runs stable. I am very skeptical of new features that are made on the part of Microsoft and my DAW manufacturer.

I always like to read what they've updated and wait for it to say - your system that you use every day is bug free.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. JustFun598

JustFun598 Noisemaker

When it comes to compatibility it is same, nothing is changed.

When it comes to performance, it is slightly bit better.

When it comes to overall PC performance and stability it is pretty better.

Long story short, Windows 11 is pretty good OS overall for everything.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Hum you nickname looks familiar.

What is the TPM 2 do to you machine are you using it and are you on AMD?

19. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

Not sure why anyone would even want to use Windows 11 at this point, knowing it's forcing people to create a Microsoft account. I'd recommend staying with a debloated/detelemetrified Windows 10 for as long as you can and then move on to Linux.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. JustFun598

JustFun598 Noisemaker

Nah, my nickname is quite ordinary :bleh:

I have few machines, some dont have TPM, some have TPM, none of them are affected by it BTW.
    I have both Intel and AMD systems, once again no difference, they work as they are supposed to.

@pizzafresser Windows 11 doesnt force you to create Microsoft account, dunno where you got that from, you can have normal Local accounts as in every previous Windows version

• Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  21. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I think @pizzafresser is referring to the article I read also where MS is wanting to require everyone to have a online account in the future.