Windows 10

Discussion in 'PC' started by Xtra8, Jun 16, 2015.

?

Windows 10 yes or no?

1. windows 10 yes, switch now

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. windows 10 yes, switch later

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  3. windows 10 not at all

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Xtra8

Xtra8 Member

Hi guys,

I have windows 8.1 on my laptop and yesterday one interesting icon appeared "get windows 10". When you click on icon it takes you to faq page about this free upgrade from windows 7 or 8 to 10. Ok, it's interesting, because it's free, but the problem is that I don't know anything about windows 10 and his correlation with music software. This upgrade can be used in 1 year time, so it's not that urgent to use it.
    My question to you is: what do you think about windows 10, do you have some info and the most important thing is why would we switch to new (just assume) not stable version from windows 8.1 which is very stable and reliable? And, is the software like Ableton, the vst instuments etc. compatible with windows 10 or the most software would have to have some future adjustment? :grooves:

3. Badass

Badass Member

I'd say let them iron out the bug for a few months, and then upgrade. ;)

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

You cant actually switch now to the retail version of windows 10...
    It will be available at the 29.07 !

Before upgrading I would make sure to clone or make a backup of you system so that you can anytime back.

With the free upgrade you cant do a clean install on an empty drive !
    You have to first run though the upgrade process on a running Windows machine and built recovery media somehow.
    (stinks if you ask me)

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

The golden rule is - For audio applications always wait until at least SP1​

6. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

I'll try it first on my audio Laptop..........

7. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Yes because the crossover between pc and mobile phones. There are some feature not audio related that i'm interested in.

8. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

First of make sure all your hardware you use and you can't without, have already full windows 10 driver support. But i don't recommended even if this is case. I personally will wait probably almost till last before update. Not only because of bugs, but because Microsoft is so secret about their real intentions after one year of free update. I am in very suspicious mood right now until they don't clear some things out.

9. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

I agree with c3po and kimikaze.
    Make a backup just in case and definitely make sure your hardware is supported.
    I probably won't switch until i'm absolutely positive M-Audio is supported.

Peace

10. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Not true!! You can also download the ISO and do a clean install

11. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

I'll probably update in 2-3 years or something. (I only care for DX 12 tbh, for games) Or, probably, not before I get a new PC.

12. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

i will upgrade only on my second laptop (PC For Games) cause of Directx 12
    but my main laptop will stay on win7/8.1 , Main Reason i don't want to screw anything before i heard from the companies like ::
    (reFX nexus & spectrasonics & NI & Xfer records & ETC.... ) that there Products are compatible with windows 10

13. Spacely

Spacely Producer

You have "One Year" to download and upgrade for free. After "One Year" if you haven't upgraded using the "Free upgrade" offer then you will have to Pay to upgrade. The upgrade then will cost you $199

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

i will switch as soon if im sure if there is away to deactive all that BS windows 10 comes with (cortana, Edge, etc), so that i have an upgraded win7.
    i dont need the taskbar menu/desktop either, pin everything on the taskbar(also the trash bin) and im done.

15. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

What's the big deal about entering a serial number. Microsoft provides one when you download the preview and it's FREE. Please get your facts straight

16. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

Mykal :mates: I'M Talking about the enterprise version BTW (i have no idea about the consumer version cause i don't use it)
    and for now there is only the "Technical Preview" and that version is full of bugs (we can't say it's stable build yet)

yes i did look into Microsoft website & i saw the serial number included in that page ,
    even i knew about the leaked ISO with newer version

I Cant say anything until 29/06/2015 which we see the full version

BTW is this version of Windows 10 is retail or not

17. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Already running Windows 10 Build 10130 no Issues no Problems, works great so far, it did had some problems but all was fixed in this build,

Audio Production : 10/10 No Problems at all.

Gaming : 8/10 There is still some random DirectX Related Problems, and it hapens rarely.

Stability : 9/10 No Problems, until no Ram is availbly for the system anymore.

Fast ? oh hell yea, Faster than 8.1

Windows 8.1 VS 10... 10 Wins ;)

18. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

After the June update my test box no longer shows the fact that it's s preview so I'm thinking that it may be close to being finalized,and like Mr Lyann Music said above it runs smooth, Zero problems

19. Spacely

Spacely Producer

No Problems with any plug-ins that you noticed? Can I ask what Daw your running? I know Nvidia's last driver update was for Windows 10 so I'm good on that. You said 8/10 for games. What games have you had issues with?

Thanks

20. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

No Problem With Plugins, All Waves Plugins Runs perfectly, All Native Instruments Plugins (Generators and FXs) Running Perfectly, All iZotope's running Well too, Daw Studio one 3 & Fl Studio 12 Running well, i tested Cubase and Ableton too had no problems, about the Nvidia Drivers for Windows 10 it works good, but the problem i have is DirectX Problems Related, wish is a Microsoft Problem, games i'm having problem With, NFS Rivals and Assassin's Creed Unity...

21. Spacely

Spacely Producer

Ok that is really good to hear. S1 3 & FL 12 are my daw's as well. I'll have to check the BF4 forums to see if anyone having issues with Win 10. But you know those gaming forums it's a 50/50. Everyone has a different rig so it's hard to gauge if a game is running poorly cause of win 10 or their crappy rig specs.