Windows 10 trying to install without my consent

Discussion in 'PC' started by lpu2n, Dec 25, 2015.

1. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

I am really ticked off right now. I am working on my computer and all of a sudden it starts shutting down. No warning, just out of nowhere, shutting down. It closes the web browser, Ableton Live, and all of my open apps, and I am now set back atleast 3 hours. Luckily I had a word document open, and it gave me the option to cancel the shutdown. Back on the desktop, a windows update window appeared saying "Upgrading to Windows 10 Now" or something like that. I wonder what would have happened if I was asleep and it followed through with the shutdown, would it have just installed Windows 10 without my consent? Then 20 minutes later, after I had started picking up the pieces, it does it AGAIN. Have to start all over. This is really deplorable behaviour by Microsoft. I don't want to update to 10 right now because it does not assure compatibility with software I use and frankly, I should not be forced into updating an OS whenever MS feels like it. Besides, the aggressive pushing of the upgrade is making me very reluctant to do it at all. There has to be a catch to it when a company like MS blatantly makes serious changes to users' PCs without their consent. I am seriously considering installing Ubuntu as my main OS and using Wine, imperfect as it may be, and using windows 7 in VirtualBox. Obviously I can't do that right now, but I will see what my options are. Microsoft has crossed a line here. Anyone else had this happen to them?

3. Yep... update fault! Seek and destroy the KB3035583, clean Windows Update cache and restart! Should be fine!

EDIT: Dont forget to "blacklist" the update!

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2015
  4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

I suggest you to read all my post about Windows 10 (7 and 8.x). You will learn a lot of weird things, even the patch(s) to eradicate asap. To clean the PC ddl and use GWX Control Panel v1.6.0.1.

■ Windows Parches Security: Info Resources

Merry Christmas :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  5. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Hey, thanks for the info. I downloaded GWX control panel and disabled&deleted everything. Someone must have had it up to their ears to have sat down and written a tool to disable the upgrade :P Could you point me to your posts? I can't seem to find them.

6. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

@lpu2n

You already have it: GWX Control Panel v1.6.0.1. :) There is a button to "Disable Operating System Upgrades in WIndows Update". After you click it you could update your WinX only manually.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  7. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Merry XMAS!

8. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

Maybe you let windows Update install this KB3035583 & that may start preparing your system to install win 10

9. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

Disable update service in Win7. Personally I've had more trouble than benefits with updating. Actually I don't remember any benefit.